PDA

View Full Version : First time making hilt

Darth Cruor
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi, this is my first time making a custom hilt, and I needed to know a few things.

First, I know MHS parts are great, but I'd rather do without them. Considering it's costing me enough for the rest of the parts. If you think there are any parts that are absolutely essential, please tell me. Anyway, the question is, will the screw-in blade holder, style 1 be able to hold the thick-walled blade?

Second, if I use parts I can buy at local shops, what is essential, and what is good for any hilt style? I'm talking like pvc, epoxy, o-rings, and all manner of tools.

Thanks.

Darth Cruor
08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, and the pommel. How will I attach it? I have to be able to change the batteries, after all:p

CorellianBada**
08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey DC, I know what you're saying, but trust me, the MHS saves you a TON (not sure what that is in metric) of headache, cash and time spent for the bare minimum of functionally usable parts. In this regard, each MHS piece is worth it's weight in gold. Think of the time and parts you'd go thru with the trial and error of making the whole thing by hand......

If it's the bare minimum of MHS, i'd say at the very lease get a bladeholder and some means of attaching it to the body of your saber. I've personally tried every ghetto-rig method for making one of these and there's no real substitute for what Tim offers here.

As for your 2nd question, Design your saber 1st. Inside and out. Then once you're reasonably sure with what you want to accomplish, you'll have a better and clearer idea of what you'll need to make it happen. Hope this helps.

37H4N
08-06-2008, 10:02 PM
And if you need held rendering it send me a pm and we'll discuss it. 8)

Darth Cruor
08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey DC, I know what you're saying, but trust me, the MHS saves you a TON (not sure what that is in metric) of headache, cash and time spent for the bare minimum of functionally usable parts. In this regard, each MHS piece is worth it's weight in gold. Think of the time and parts you'd go thru with the trial and error of making the whole thing by hand......

If it's the bare minimum of MHS, i'd say at the very lease get a bladeholder and some means of attaching it to the body of your saber. I've personally tried every ghetto-rig method for making one of these and there's no real substitute for what Tim offers here.

As for your 2nd question, Design your saber 1st. Inside and out. Then once you're reasonably sure with what you want to accomplish, you'll have a better and clearer idea of what you'll need to make it happen. Hope this helps.

I plan to use a screw-in blade holder, style 1 (unless you suggest differently) and find a 1.5" sinktube, if I can't find that, I'll use an adapter. Will that work? Or will I need to create a thread in the sinktube?

Finally, how do I drill and tap something? It's probably less complicated than I think.

eastern57
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyway, the question is, will the screw-in blade holder, style 1 be able to hold the thick-walled blade?

yes, all the blades sold here have the same outer diameter (OD): one inch.

FenderBender
08-07-2008, 06:49 AM
To drill and tap something your need a drill press or at the very least a great handheld drill and a vise. Then to tap it, you need a tap and die set, which has bits and bobs for cutting treads into metal. Not hard, not complicated, but slow patient exacting work.