PDA

View Full Version : driver boards?

Narth Nefarus
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Hello all. I am new to the custom lightsaber world and I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different driver boards out there. Can someone help me out with the pros and cons of the different boards. Oh and as far as the led's go, which is better for a classic sith red luxeon III, V, or Rebel.

Thanks alot in advance
Jon

Darth Leximus
08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm gonna leave the driver board question to someone else cause I just don't have the energy right now, but as far as Red LEDs go..the LuxIII is your man.

Darth_DevilGuy
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
A high bin Red-O is closest to the movies for the LED, as for the driver there are a number of different options.

Master Replicas:
MR boards are decent sound and light for a lux III, they are however voltage sensitive, anything above 5-6 volts is a no no. overall these cost about $40 - $80 depending.

Standard MR Jedi/Sith saber boards are decent for most Lux III's but won't max out Red Red-O or amber LED's, they are also somewhat rare as they have been out of production for awhile.

MR SW-616/Joe Jedi basically an MR board with both soundsets and a prolight 1w RGB LED, less rare than a standard MR and you may not feel as bad gutting one seeing as there's nothing remotely "collectible" about them. Currently on clearance for $35 from radioshack, can be found on eBay for exorbitant prices.

Plecterlabs:
Currently plecterlabs is out of modules due to a parts shortage.

Driver Dimmer - Powers the LED only, no sound, adds ramp up/down clash and lock, and shimmer effects, works with Lux III and K2. With exchange rates costs maybe $60+ plus shipping from france.

Crystal Focus - Cutting edge of current LED saber technology, features programmable sound and light effects and supports a multitude of different optional features and tricks. Again with the exchange rate this thing costs a bundle $200 is what your looking at right now.

Corbin's Driver:
Corbin Driver V2 - Similar to Erv's driver dimmer, can take more voltage though, compatible with Lux III, K2, V, and even rebel LEDs. Sold from TCSS store, currently out of stock.

Kalel's driver:
Currently in testing phase, release date TBA, programmable sound, light effects, release date TBA, will reportedly be sold through TCSS.

UltraSabers Board:
Ultrasound V2 in testing, mass produced board with standardized sound, supports Lux III, K2, and V. Release Date TBA.

Marsupial's Board:
Daugher board for MR, uses MR outputs to control LED, Release Date TBA

Malikai/Starkiller Board:
PCB in development, planned preprogrammed board with wide range LED support and "better than MR" sounds, release Date TBA.

xwingband
08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Erv's dimmer doesn't support V's as it's max is 6V. Really I think a V is unnessesary now though.

Kalel's and Maliki's are nothing but smoke as far as I'm concerned right now. I wouldn't be getting anyones hopes up over them.

Darth_DevilGuy
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Erv's dimmer doesn't support V's as it's max is 6V. Really I think a V is unnessesary now though.

Kalel's and Maliki's are nothing but smoke as far as I'm concerned right now. I wouldn't be getting anyones hopes up over them.

edited to include info, I have no opinion on Maliki's or Kalel's board other than wishing them luck in development, it wouldn't hurt the hobby to have more options on the market.

Narth Nefarus
08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
thanks alot for all the help guys. BTW I was researching the LED's a bit more. Why is the rebel suppose to be the next big thing when it come to output, but is like half of what the III is putting out, as far as red goes.

xwingband
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks alot for all the help guys. BTW I was researching the LED's a bit more. Why is the rebel suppose to be the next big thing when it come to output, but is like half of what the III is putting out, as far as red goes.

It's always been that way. The Red family in the III's have been out performing others since they were made. I guess it's just best to leave it as they got it right at first. They're slightly different to make so there is somewhat of a disconnect on they're steps. In fact I'd say V's were made to match the Red family of III's and the newer ones have just been catch up for a single die solution.

Narth Nefarus
08-06-2008, 02:58 AM
i see back to the boards how or were is the best place to buy them