PDA

View Full Version : Activation Time

Vardarac
08-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Does anyone know how long it takes for most lightsaber blades to ignite from hilt to full length? That is, how long it takes for the blade to extend from nothing to maximum distance when activated?

Tom Starkiller
08-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Depends on the saber. Do you mean in the Movies?

Vardarac
08-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Depends on the saber. Do you mean in the Movies?

Yes. What appears to be most typical for for Jedi sabers?

Tom Starkiller
08-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I'd say about 1 second max. It's kind of quick. In ANH it varies, with Luke it's instant, no scrolling, with Obi it goes out slowly, maybe 2 seconds, Vaders in Empire is also quite slow at the beginning og his fight with Luke.

Hasid Lafre
08-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Iam guessing they vary the effect for a intense factor.

If it wasnt for vader and his slow ignition in empire he just wouldn't have that menacing feel to him and wouldn't have that evils gonna win effect.

With lukes almost instant on he has the quick to attack/defend feel.

Obi well in anh we never really seen him ignite his saber and yeah hes got the slower retract but that just adds to the don't mess with the old guy.

With the OT dident they use duel phase sabers? which they could adjust the varying things of the blade with just a switch.

xl97
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
no clue on movie accuracy..however I knwo some led driver boards alow you to set/change this setting.. to match whatever fits you style/taste

(at least the led driver/dimmer from PlecterLabs does so)..

Tom Starkiller
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Obi well in anh we never really seen him ignite his saber

Uhm... yeah we do.

Darth Leximus
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Right on I was thinking the same thing, you totally see him extend the saber

Tom Starkiller
08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Right on I was thinking the same thing, you totally see him extend the saber

Can hardly miss it it's that slow.

Bum dum dum tisssh!!

Darth Leximus
08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I always loved that, very slow, very.....intentional.

It's like Obi is sayin "Vader, you're a douche, so now this is happening."

Tom Starkiller
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
"Vader, you're a douche, so now this is happening."

ROFL.

Needa Type more now.

Novastar
08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Much like the coloration, lengths, widths, cores, auras, and overall flicker of the blades in the movies... the whole extension/retraction thing is JUST as "all over the map".

Welcome to special effects, lol.

Oh, and for those reading: do NOT believe that it was just all about "ok, it was messed up for the 1977/old films..."... oh no no no NOOO. Obi-Wan's blade color changes not only from film to film but SHOT to SHOT at times. My favorite is one of the "dramatic" zooms just before he and Qui-Gonn jump over the gap after Maul does that "wire-fu" back flip over the same gap. Have a look at it... it's like... wtf?!? Red... uh -ish? reddish?!? vomit reddish? Whatever.

Anyhow... I say: if you have a CF--make your on/off sounds as long or as short as you like. Long live the EXXXXTENNNNNDED Ancient Saber on/off sounds, hahahah (which create a long fade in/fade out).

DDanDevious
08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
dude, Vaders saber extension (hehehe) in Empire was the sickest thing ever. It was so slow and scary, he was basically like "I am a badass, I do not have to rush to unsheath my saber power foo" It was so fresh... thats the thing I remember most from the movie when I was little... Vader slowly igniting his blade.

soooooo to answer the question, yeh it varies from saber to saber, scene to scene... its all good.

DDD

Lord Maul
08-13-2008, 09:00 AM
dude, Vaders saber extension (hehehe) in Empire was the sickest thing ever. It was so slow and scary, he was basically like "I am a badass, I do not have to rush to unsheath my saber power foo" It was so fresh... thats the thing I remember most from the movie when I was little... Vader slowly igniting his blade.

soooooo to answer the question, yeh it varies from saber to saber, scene to scene... its all good.

DDD

I agree. The ignition sound is also so menacing, it's like his blade is hissing poisonous gas or something

Jasten Skywalker
08-21-2008, 06:26 AM
I always loved that, very slow, very.....intentional.

It's like Obi is sayin "Vader, you're a douche, so now this is happening."

Omg I just had hot coffee pour out of my nose! I'm never going to be able to watch that scene again without thinking of this quote. hahaha!

...ouch! That really burns!