PDA

View Full Version : Lowes hilt durability

james3
03-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone has built up a hilt per Tim's tutorial and done any serious dualing with it? I have been building one when I haven't been on here and it seems pretty darn solid. I have some of the kits coming and I have no doubt about them but I have the feeling that I am going to be using the Lowes Special for a while untill I get my MHS LED in.

Do-Clo
03-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I have one under construction, it is for a youngling and I am sure that it will get a workout so I will let you know how it goes. I did change the design and I am using a 1.25" tube instead of a 1.5" tube. I am sanding the plastic adapter to fit in the larger end of the sink tube, and I will drill and tap the blade holder to attach it to the tube, it should be plenty strong.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

james3
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Excellent. I think that so long as there are no major problems my younglings will be presented with their EL Sabers tomorrow afternoon and I hope to have my Lowes Special done as well so that we can break them in proper.[:D]

That is a fantastic idea, I may have to try that next time.

Reaper
03-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I built my EL saber before I found this site (unfortunetly), but my immediate test of it's strength was going outside at night and beating it up against a tree. If it was going to break, I wanted it to do it then, but it held strong. Still works great to this day, although, I think my friend and I are the only ones with EL saber blades that screw into the hilts. Don't know if that really makes it stronger or not, but I haven't really heard of anyone else doing it, so it must not make that much of a difference.

james3
03-10-2006, 08:16 PM
OK update #1: I have completed two out of four sabers for the younglings with the 1 1/4" pipe kits and they are SWEET!!! I am still working on the all Lowes special for myself as well as finishing the kids' sabers. We went out for a quick dual before bedtime and my son lit up like a lightsaber when I fired up that yellow blade for him and said don't hold back! My youngest received her purple one and swung it around a little bit before running off yelling PURPLE! (Since she's 2 I still have time to get her focused)[;)] Anyway here's my question: Do any of you have a trick for keeping the endcap on while dualing? I pulled the prongs out pretty far but a good smack just knocked them right off.

Tim, thanks again your stuff is just downright awsome.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/HPIM0832.jpg
She is just a little camera shy[;)]

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

suit_man
03-11-2006, 08:13 PM
could this be the next princess leia? haha cute as button [:p]

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

james3
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
It drove her nuts that i was taking pictures of her lightsaber without her so I'm a big sucker.

Strydur
03-11-2006, 11:45 PM
James,

I think the only good option would be to order some machined end caps. Those push on ones just never seem to stay especially if your batterys are flopping around.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

james3
03-12-2006, 12:22 AM
That's what I was thinking too. I had my son's battery packed with bubble wrap and I inset 2 rubber washers inside between the battery and cap, it was a solid fit and there was as little movement as possible. He would get really wound up and come at me with side slash like he was trying to hit the ball out of the park and almost everytime I blocked it that cap would pop off. Look's like I will have to start planning my next order.[:D]

Do-Clo
03-12-2006, 01:26 AM
A quick solution would be to place a piece of clear tape across the bottom of the cap and secure it to the the hilt. This way it will be easy to change batteries. Or you put the cap in place and drill two holes into the side of the hilt close to the end and into the fingers of the cap then epoxy some nuts to the fingers of the cap and then just secure the end cap with the bolts when the epoxy is all dry.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

LAN-ED-TUL
03-12-2006, 03:07 AM
like do-clo said, take 2 of the fingers, opposite of each other, and flaten them out with pliers, so they stick straight down. then drill a hole thru each flattened finger, epoxy a not to underside lined up with thehole. and also drill a hole in the main tube where they line up with the prepared fingers. use a small machine screw to fasten it. only thing that might go bad, is the epoxy would break loose and it would be hard to get the cap off then.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

james3
03-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks Do-Clo and LAN-ED-TUL, I will give that a shot. I have 1 green saber still to make as a B-Day present for one of my son's friends this weekend. I am going to order a couple caps from Tim for my kids sabers but in the mean time they will be fixed to ya'lls specs by tomorrow afternoon provided the younglings haven't lost their end caps yet[;)]

LAN-ED-TUL
03-13-2006, 02:01 AM
at least they should hold up til the others come in you order from tim.

ronzomi
03-17-2006, 01:03 AM
To get the end cap to stay on, try this. Flatten out a couple of tines, one on either side (180 degrees apart). Drill small holes through the hilt tube and then into the tine. Now, I used the smallest set screw I could find at Lowes (or Ace Hardware), I matched my bit to the size of the screw. The set screw was pretty tight and in putting in sort of self-tapped the hole and gave a nice tight hold. To keep screws in, I use Loctite. You can get it at GI Joes, Schucks, etc. I used purple (the color delineates what thread size to use it on as well as its sticking power), blue will also work. I prefer this to expoxy on screws because you can break this lose easier and its less permanent (unless you use the red stuff). I have shipped PCs all over the world and the purple stuff held the PC size screws without fault.

"Love this site!"

LAN-ED-TUL
03-17-2006, 03:36 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ronzomi

To get the end cap to stay on, try this. Flatten out a couple of tines, one on either side (180 degrees apart). Drill small holes through the hilt tube and then into the tine. Now, I used the smallest set screw I could find at Lowes (or Ace Hardware), I matched my bit to the size of the screw. The set screw was pretty tight and in putting in sort of self-tapped the hole and gave a nice tight hold. To keep screws in, I use Loctite. You can get it at GI Joes, Schucks, etc. I used purple (the color delineates what thread size to use it on as well as its sticking power), blue will also work. I prefer this to expoxy on screws because you can break this lose easier and its less permanent (unless you use the red stuff). I have shipped PCs all over the world and the purple stuff held the PC size screws without fault.

"Love this site!"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

thats pretty much what do-clo and myself said