PDA

View Full Version : New Rebel star PCB layout

vadeblade
07-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi,
I looked around and did not see it mentioned.

I found a new Rebel star PCB layout (see attached pictures) at this place

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-LEDs-Luxeon/Luxeon-REBEL/20mm-Star-PCB-for-Luxeon-Rebel-LT-1103_49_85.html

The PCB has the Rebel emitters closer to the center. Actually, the single emitter PCB has the emitter dead center.

The three emitter config has the emitters set in series. Hmm... 9.45 forward voltage for three Rebels. I think that is doable....
Last PCB is RGB.

With the emitters closer to center, is there a better chance of having a lense that will suit our needs?

Also, how do you solder a Rebel to a PCB? how does solder reflow work?

Hasid Lafre
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
I would imagine that a layout like that we should be able to use the optics that we use now but I don't know for sure. Xwing will be able to clarify this for us.

vadeblade
07-31-2008, 10:19 AM
The single Rebel Star looks like a good candidate for the current optics we have.

jamesjeffh
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
I noticed the PCB layout myself and was wondering what about that triple rebel color mixer that they sell for use with the triple PCB layout ..... imagine TRIPLE BLUE

vadeblade
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
I noticed the PCB layout myself and was wondering what about that triple rebel color mixer that they sell for use with the triple PCB layout ..... imagine TRIPLE BLUE

Cyan is 130 lm @ 700mA - - - times 3 Rebels!!!! :shock:

xwingband
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I ordered a set a while ago. I had absolutely no sucess. I'd love to try again with better equipment though. Meaning I would order proper solder paste and a hot air station. I read up and tried a hot plate method but it actually just fried the PCB. The top layer just peeled off!

Persoanally I think this is going yield much better results as it's closer than the Endors. I don't understand why they angled the Endors as it benefits no one in that pattern.

xwingband
07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
The single Rebel Star looks like a good candidate for the current optics we have.

The optics for a single have been around for months. It only needs a different holder.

vadeblade
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
I ordered a set a while ago. I had absolutely no sucess. I'd love to try again with better equipment though. Meaning I would order proper solder paste and a hot air station. I read up and tried a hot plate method but it actually just fried the PCB. The top layer just peeled off!

I did research on solder reflow... so most hobyist use toaster ovens?? wont that destroy the Rebel?

I then found a website on making a $20(USD) Hot Air Pencil. Check it out.

http://www.usbmicro.com/odn/documents/ACC430664DD26DDE5986574AAA62775FDFF29EA1.html

Xwing, do you think the method above will work? I have an aquarium air pump laying around and I can make a quick trip to Radio Shack to test this air pencil idea...

Malaki Skywalker
07-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Cyan is 130 lm @ 700mA - - - times 3 Rebels!!!! :shock:

What are you planning on powering all 3 on? because 3 wouldn't work with a CF for a start, and by the looks of things you will be needing around 3A and 11V to power 3, BUT Kalels board may bring us new hope! :D :cool:

vadeblade
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
What are you planning on powering all 3 on? because 3 wouldn't work with a CF for a start, and by the looks of things you will be needing around 3A and 11V to power 3, BUT Kalels board may bring us new hope! :D :cool:

If you take the RGB star and just use three same color can't we just wire it parallel? would that help with the forward voltage issue?

Or wire two same color in parallel and have third color as clash flash.

Malaki Skywalker
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Or wire two same color in parallel and have third color as clash flash.

Erv' done that in one of his V4 vids, so yep, thats the set up I aim for as soon as the optics come out (2 Blues and a white :cool:)

What sorta input voltage am I going to need for 2 rebels in parallel? 7V? Or just the normal 3.5V?

cannibal869
02-26-2009, 07:16 AM
sorry for the thread resurrection...

Just FYI, regarding the optics, I've had luck using the RGB tri-rebel from led-tech.de and a K2 holder from the store with the standard 5 degree collimator lens.

Without the blade attached, you can see different "rings" of light in different positions, but with a blade and a few feet of polypropylene, it seems to reflect enough of the light back and forth that you get a relatively uniform blade color.