PDA

View Full Version : Possible Dumb Question: Direct driving Amber Lux

amichaels
07-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I have been trying to compare the specs of the Amber Luxeon III to say the Royal Blue and not being really in the know about these things I figured I'd ask since I haven't managed to dig up the answer I'm looking for difinitively. Can I run an amber lux 3 right off a MR board? How do I know which ones are safe to do so with? Once again a point in the right direction is sufficient. I hope this isn't posted obviously somewhere I've missed. :confused:

Jay-gon Jinn
07-31-2008, 01:48 AM
The only led you can't run directly off the MR boards would be the Luxeon V series, mostly because they require a voltage that will destroy the board. You can run any of the Lux III's and even the K2's straight from the MR board, but they will be a bit under powered, like the Lux III red/amber/red-o, and the K2. They'll look good, but won't be as bright as they could be with a proper led driver.

Hasid Lafre
07-31-2008, 02:05 AM
I would like to add to what jay has said and point out that the only way to get 1.5amps to the k2 and luxIII dark side colors is with 2 700mah buck pucks, a crystal focus or a ultrasound soundboard. But with the 2 puck method your only going to give it 1400 mah instead of the 1500 they need but you not gonna notice that extra 100 unless your eyes are that attuned.

amichaels
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd be buying the Corbin driver if the latching version was available. :( Thanks guys. I can always rewire it later to accommodate one.