PDA

View Full Version : Painting the Inside of a Blade

JediKnightBJ
07-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok, so I couldn't find anyone who has done this yet, the way I'm about to suggest anyway.

Here's my idea, how would painting the inside of a blade work?

White?

I have a clear, mirror spray that is used on glass to create a mirrorred surface thats see through on one side.

So yell at me if you would like, I'm just throwing out another crazy idea.

thanks all.

grayven
07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Most good thing start with a crazy idea, Like most bad things with " here hold my beer".
I don't know if that would work or not, but what the hell give it a shot.

Grayven

JediKnightBJ
07-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I might, i'm going to sand it with 400 grit sand paper first, worst case, I'll have to sand the paint off.

Has anyone ever tried it, I'm asking, i've searched and only found xwingband spraying matt clear on the outside.

I'm the crazy idea guy I guess. One handed people usually tend to be a little whacky.

psab keel
07-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Getting the paint even on the inside of a polycarbonate tube is nearly impossible. Believe me, I've tried. Also, sanding or scratching the inside surface of one of these tubes seems to detract from their durability, as I found that I crack several tubes this way. What you could do is try a design that I came up with a few years back and get a 1 inch thin wall tube and a 3/4 thin wall tube, paint the 3/4 tube with white lexan bonding paint (found at most hobby stores) and place the 3/4 inch tube inside the 1 inch tube. This will light very evenly and is really durable.

Psab

TimeRender
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't think this is going to yield you very good results. The whole point is to let the light out of the tube. Any sort of paint is going to make the tube more opaque. I don't see the point of making the light reflect back into the tube, which is what it sounds like you are going for. Ultimately the light will escape anyway, but a lot of that light will be lost in the process as it is converted into heat. Now if you had a paint that would act as a diffuser this might be a different story, but as mentioned earlier you're going to have a heck of a hard time painting your tube evenly, and evenness is important for blade diffusion. By all means, try it, but don't expect to be happy with the results.

JediKnightBJ
07-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Getting the paint even on the inside of a polycarbonate tube is nearly impossible. Believe me, I've tried. Also, sanding or scratching the inside surface of one of these tubes seems to detract from their durability, as I found that I crack several tubes this way. What you could do is try a design that I came up with a few years back and get a 1 inch thin wall tube and a 3/4 thin wall tube, paint the 3/4 tube with white lexan bonding paint (found at most hobby stores) and place the 3/4 inch tube inside the 1 inch tube. This will light very evenly and is really durable.

Psab

Do you have any pictures of this?

psab keel
07-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately I don't, but trust me it works really well.

The only thing is that you have to make sure you try and get even coats on the inner tube so that it diffuses the light evenly.

This design I'm describing was one that I used several years ago and now I'm designing a new blade type.

JediKnightBJ
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok, the mirrored inner blade idea, sucks. I am now waiting on a couple of new tubes to try your idea. I have to sell all my pvc's first.

Thanks for everyone's help.

If you want a cheaper PVC saber, made by a one handed man, PM me.

Sorry for the ad.