PDA

View Full Version : movies

987654321a
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
hey does anyone know anything if star wars ep 7, 8, and 9 will come out?

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

james3
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Was supposed too but Lucas said that it wasn't what he wanted to do and the story of Anakin/Vader has been told. Other than the TV stuff I think it will take a while before someone can get the nod to do anymore movies[:(] It would be awsome to see a new jedi order set of movies come out though huh?

xwingband
03-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Rumors... nothing more. I don't the NJO would make good movies. They're too long and drawn out. The only books I see possibly becoming a movie series would be the Jedi Academy trilogy.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Tiberius172
03-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Is there any way to petition or express our hopes of future Star Wars themed movies. I think Lucas has a valid point about the Anakin/Vader story being finished, but jump 100, 200, 300, years forward with a new republic and the Jedi struggling to establish it's ranks again possibly against a new Sith or Dark force would be great. There are so many fans out there, with constant pressure on Lucas and the Studios maybe one day we'll see this happen.

Tiberius

xwingband
03-07-2006, 07:45 AM
There is numerous petitions, and he'd never follow them. Pressure or not the story is over. If he "caved", what next? A petition for 10, 11 and 12 when he's on his death bed?

I love SW as much as the rest of you but give the man a break. Just because he attached numbers to the episodes doesn't mean there needs to be more. I hate to be the spoil sport but this is on subject I loath. It pops up everywhere. We don't need more movies. He set up the universe and now it's up to the EU books to shape it.

Nightwing
03-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Yeah, but they haven't done a very good job.

I think that if they could get a story that made sense (something about the Sith and the remains of the Empire, naturally), it would be great. Unfortunately, they kinda killed off both the sith in ROTJ, and I don't think Lucas is gonna pull a Dark Empire on us (a comic book where the Emperor's spirit wandered to a cloning facility and he got a new body).

Lucas has said, however, that if the TV shows do really well, he may make one more: a prequel-prequel. It'd be set 800 years before TPM, and would involve the Jedi regaining control of the galaxy. Oh, and a young jedi named Yoda would be involved. [:D] (I got that off theforce.net, in case you're wondering)

james3
03-07-2006, 08:58 AM
I say everyone enjoy the books and fan films and games and so on and so on... I really don't think Lucas will do any more movies and if another is made it will be by someone he gives approval to make it. I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon so it is back to my first sentence.

xwingband
03-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Which books are you refering to? Some of the EU is AMAZING, and there are a few I'd rather ignore. The NJO and early batnam stuff is good stuff.

desertscorpion
03-07-2006, 09:23 AM
As long as the T.V. shows are given full access to all of the tools Lucas used in his movies, and if they take their time, I can't see why they wouldn't be better than the movies. They wouldn't be forced to cram all they were trying to convey into a movie, and they could mention all of the subplots just like the radio dramas Dbrax was mentioning. A T.V. series like that could blow all other current and previous T.V. series out of the water in popularity - forget about the Cosby's, CSI, and even Star Trek's success - all of which are shows I have loved. If they do a Star Wars series correctly it will make TV history! Personally, I would really love to see a KOTOR series, too.

james3
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
There have only been a couple books I was not to fond of, I'll have to go look and see which ones but it wasn't very many. I agree with you on the early batnum and NJO, I really enjoy Zahn and Stackpole.

james3
03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
The only way I want to see a continuation of KOTOR is in games, as soon as you lock in characters for TV or whatever then you no longer get the fun of creating and playing out your character your way, and then they will just make it a straight shooter w/hero type deal.

naashar
03-07-2006, 11:24 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

There is numerous petitions, and he'd never follow them. Pressure or not the story is over. If he "caved", what next? A petition for 10, 11 and 12 when he's on his death bed?

I love SW as much as the rest of you but give the man a break.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Never!! [:D] Lucas just phoned it in with that whole Jar-Jar fiasco.

The man is a victim of a monster of his own creation, and anyone else who touches it is not, I emphatically repeat, not going to do it any sort of passable justice.

That series was so important in filmdom for so many reasons, besides story (which handles classic archetypes wonderfully), but it actually in itself advanced the various filmmaking and dolby artists' art while still benefiting from those self-same advances. Not an easy thing, by any stretch...

Besides, why do something half-a$$ed?! I mean, the guy goes on record to say "I actually planned to do episodes blah blah blah"; he should be held accountable! If it had been a horrific bomb, I'm sure ol' George would've had an exit strategy of a sort; it just so happens that all of us "felt" it a li'l more than other movies of the ilk and times.

Postulate: In 7-12 years' time, there will be some obscure group of slightly influential film "students" who will "discover" the Matrix Trilogy, go on and on about its far-reaching subtexts, and petition the poor Wachowski (sp) Bros. ad infinitum about the "next installment".

I'm quite sure the above scenario will more than likely never play out, but if'n it does, I don't think that we should be all that surprised. This art and adoration thereof is a cyclical thang, brethren; let's ride it on out and find ourselves right where we started.

Well, folk; there's my two-cents. Spend them wisely.

You don't need to see any identification.

desertscorpion
03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3

The only way I want to see a continuation of KOTOR is in games, as soon as you lock in characters for TV or whatever then you no longer get the fun of creating and playing out your character your way, and then they will just make it a straight shooter w/hero type deal.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oh, yes! I have to agree that those games are great. I'm not talking about a KOTOR that is specific to the span of years of the games, necessarily. It could be before,... or after. Anywhere, in the thousands and thousands of years of jedi history.

james3
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
OK I see where you are going with that and I would have to agree that it would be cool.

The Plague
03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I heard a rumor that Lucas was going to let speilberg do the next trilogy, butthis is just a rumor.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

desertscorpion
03-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Hmm... I know he's taken Steven's recommendations with a lot of weight in the past. Especially, the prequels. I'm sure one of the dudes here at the forum knows more about that. I'd give it to Peter Jackson, if it was me. Or, maybe Ridley Scott.

Tiberius172
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I think this is one of those love hate issues. The advancment in technology and digital advancement in the ROTS brought us so close to almost believing there actually is this Galaxy far far away that I hate to see such a wonderful universe of possibilities never see the big screen again. At the same time, it would be an equal trajedy to see someone destroy Lucas' vision by coming out with terrible knockoff sequel or crappy Star Wars universe type film.

Damned if you do Damned if you don't. I understand Lucas's protective nature toward his baby but I sure hope he'll do another film even if it's centuries forward or backwards in the S.W. universe.

Books, TV series, and games are ok but nothing beats the anticipation and excitment of sitting in a dark theatre and watching the opening scene of these six tremendous films on the big screen. They've been bigger than life and I think we all remember that Wow! feeling as the opening space scene brings us into these movies and into the Star Wars universe.

Tiberius.

supertrogdor
03-07-2006, 03:46 PM
The fact that we all want to see more, speaks well for the series, think how much better it is that we all want to see more rather than, boy cool efects and all that, but i am glad lucas moved on to other projects. The old adage leave the customer wanting more is what makes people like us wanting more, building our own sabers... the whole nine yards

Tiberius172
03-08-2006, 07:23 AM
hmmmmm... So true.

naashar
03-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Well said, both of you.

You don't need to see any identification.

Madcow
03-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I know it's not the same, but I've really gotten into Star Wars novels. There's alot of good stuff out there.

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg
You want to go home and re-think your life

987654321a
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by The Plague

I heard a rumor that Lucas was going to let speilberg do the next trilogy, butthis is just a rumor.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

wow that would be awesome, but lucas himself, has made the star wars trilogy so he should make the rest

http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/4673b782d8.gif

987654321a
03-08-2006, 05:57 PM
there are maybe millions of star wars fans in this world, and lucas doesnt realize that he will become more rich!!! but only if he makes a new movie

http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/4673b782d8.gif

GFORCE13
03-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Yeah I know I am praying for 7,8&9 everyday but I think for now we will have to settle for the Tv Series and OT in the new 3D process next year in '07'.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

supertrogdor
03-09-2006, 10:05 AM
part of the fun of limiting the series, is we get to let our immagination build the rest of the universe and fill in the holes. Yes seeing lucas' interpretation on the bigscreen is fantastic, but don't you have ideas in your head that are just as grand?

Nightwing
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

Which books are you refering to? Some of the EU is AMAZING, and there are a few I'd rather ignore. The NJO and early batnam stuff is good stuff.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sorry it took me so long to reply...

I was referring to a lot of the New Republic era stuff. Timothy Zahn's books are always great, but many of the others are... not so good.

Heck, I didn't even like the Jedi Academy Trilogy after I finished it. I noticed it had so much filler, and so many unrealistic character moments that it almost seemed like a fanfic (actually, I think the introduction of Kyp Durron was Kevin J. Anderson's personal attempt to make another young jedi like Luke in ANH).

In the Hand of Thrawn Duology, Timothy Zahn made some badly needed changes to the EU, with Luke's revelations about the force and jedi philosophy. Unfortunately, that was pretty much at the end of the NR era, so much of the timeline still has Luke doing lots of non-jedi-like things, such as using the force arbitrarily and superfluously.

The NJO, on the other hand, is AMAZING. I can't stretch how amazing it is, other than to tell everyone to read the first book, Vector Prime.

As for the Clone Wars, I haven't really read enough to know, but what I have read I wasn't too fond of.

xwingband
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree on most points. I personally like the Jedi Academy trilogy and agree with your statement. Kyp was an attempt to create a new kind of predominant character. Later others tried to make Anakin Solo that and GL bumped that and now Jacen is that new future of the force.

The NJO is amazing, but some will not latch on at all. The new force perspective wasn't really dealt with directly. It was tried with Tahiri, but again it shifted the Jacen in Traitor. BTW that is typical of Stover. He's an amazing philosophy writer yet retaining that action.

Zahn is amazing for his plots. They are so rich and perfect. I just finished Outbound Flight last week and it was amazing.

desertscorpion
03-09-2006, 03:35 PM
xwing,

Your comments on Outbound Flight got me pumped and I almost picked it up brand new the other day. I guess I'll just wait and pick up a bunch of hardcovers from half.com. I've gotten some great deals there in the past. [;)]

Nightwing
03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingbandZahn is amazing for his plots. They are so rich and perfect. I just finished Outbound Flight last week and it was amazing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah, his books are so complex yet simple that you just sit there and gape at the awesomeness.
My only gripe about Zahn's books is that the characters are... too smart. They'll just sit there for five minutes and think about every possibility (except the real one, of course :P). And they tend to say "ah" a lot. It's kind of funny.

desertscorpion
03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingbandZahn is amazing for his plots. They are so rich and perfect. I just finished Outbound Flight last week and it was amazing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah, his books are so complex yet simple that you just sit there and gape at the awesomeness.
My only gripe about Zahn's books is that the characters are... too smart. They'll just sit there for five minutes and think about every possibility (except the real one, of course :P). And they tend to say "ah" a lot. It's kind of funny.

Your comment reminds me of a lot of crime shows where the detectives are always a little too smart . And using deductive reasoning doesn't help the audience figure out who the killer is because it's always the mailman or some guy that was never introduced.

xwingband
03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, the sheer genius of Thrawn even in his young age is astounding. There is gaps left in how he got banished from the Chiss, but he gains so much depth in Outbound Flight. He's not as cold and calculating, but real and understandable. I had the same feeling as Star by Star and Traitor. That awe of such a good plot that I read the last hundred pages in 20 minutes. Great stuff and my favorite Zahn book so far.

EDIT: It's not that as much as Thrawns ability to predict the actions of others is amazing. He knows how others will react and plans for that. It's not otherworldly knowledge, like he just popped it out of thin air as much as pure logic.

Madcow
03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Agreed,
Tim Zahn's Thrawn is the best character intoduction/development in all the novels I've read. He was a genius to write Thrawn through the eyes of Capt. Pellaeon.

Geepers... I suddenly feel like Im in an old ladies book club having tea!

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg
You want to go home and re-think your life

Nightwing
03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

Agreed,
Tim Zahn's Thrawn is the best character intoduction/development in all the novels I've read. He was a genius to write Thrawn through the eyes of Capt. Pellaeon.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Another great one was Michael A. Stackpole and his character, Corran Horn. You see him in the X-wing series, as well as many of the later books.

Tiberius172
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I agree with Madcow. Timothy Zahn's books are very strong. He would have my vote.

Tiberius

Tenric Starkindler
03-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Got REAL lucky last week and scored a personally signed and Noted copy of Zahn's new book "Outbound FLight". A fellow fan went to a book signing in the midwest and got it for me!!!

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

xwingband
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Why are you posting instead of reading then???[:p]

supertrogdor
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
getting back to movies about starwars and such has anyone seen this

http://livedigital.com/ALGZWgDEtg/content/5019/t630

xwingband
03-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes, we have: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=196

[:p]

james3
03-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I reckon I will never get tired of watching that clip.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

desertscorpion
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Trog,

Thanks for bringing that up. I'd never seen that one before. That was pretty stinkin' impressive! I'm sending it to all of my buds.

supertrogdor
03-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I have been practicing some of the moves they are doing there, some are easier than they look, others make me wonder how many takes they took to make that movie

Tenric Starkindler
03-10-2006, 06:36 PM

Why are you posting instead of reading then???[:p]

want to get through the Hitchhiker's series first........

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.