PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4 inch blades

jamesjeffh
07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Im just curious but am I the only one who uses wider blades or has anybody else gave it a shot ? I only thought to try it after my son was watching clone wars he kept telling me his lightsaber was too skinny turns out he was right. I for one love em compared next to a regular 1 inch blade they do look skiny theres basically no weight difference even though I've only used a thick blade once. Now as far as brightness goes it just seems to fill out nicer to me and with the nylon blades in red ... WOW

Sithblade
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Any chance of some photos, with a 1" blade next to it for comparison?

ArkaiHalon
07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
as well as what you use for blade holders?

jamesjeffh
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll dig up my old 1 inch blade from the closet later today. And I machine my own sabers and mainly buy everything but the saber from the store

jamesjeffh
07-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry about the wait I forgot the blade was lost in no mans land (the garage)
the 1 1/4 inch nylon LuxIII is on the left 1 inch K2 on the right both with no diffuser in either just put in some extra blades laying around for the pics.

Novastar
07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I would imagine that the light would be a bit better, since the optics/reflection angle allows more light into the tube if it's somewhat wider. For example, thick-walled 1" vs. thin-walled 1"... the thin-walled lets more light in.

I haven't tried any, but I'm sure they are fine, just don't know if you can get 1.25" in polycarbonate very easily!

jamesjeffh
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
As a matter of fact getting 1.25 polycarbonate is easy *COUGH wish listCOUGH* its only 1 buck more per foot on mcmaster so a 1 blade would be 6 and a 1.25 would be around 9 and the bigger 10 degree fraen lenses are the best Ive ever had I cant remember the name but its the type with the white holder and 4 legs. And just to throw something else out there I found a good diffuser from mcmaster its crack resistant polyethylene tubing and its only .51 cents a foot it lights up EXACTLY like nylon and is half the price

Vardarac
08-07-2008, 05:15 AM
As a matter of fact getting 1.25 polycarbonate is easy *COUGH wish listCOUGH* its only 1 buck more per foot on mcmaster so a 1 blade would be 6 and a 1.25 would be around 9 and the bigger 10 degree fraen lenses are the best Ive ever had I cant remember the name but its the type with the white holder and 4 legs. And just to throw something else out there I found a good diffuser from mcmaster its crack resistant polyethylene tubing and its only .51 cents a foot it lights up EXACTLY like nylon and is half the price

I did a little digging...

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) has a good price ($3.19/foot) on their thin-walled 8585K63 (1.25" OD 1.125" ID) polycarbonate tubes. US Plastics (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=68&product%5Fid=24993) is the way to go for thick-walled, though ($3.73/foot versus $4.93/foot).

I'm sure there's even cheaper out there... I'll be sure to let you know what I find.

jamesjeffh
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Only problem with U.S plastic is that they make you order 8 feet and even if you need 2 blades thats still 2 feet of unused product you wasted your money on.I tend to order from mcmaster because I usually need something else from the site and it comes already cut and ready to go.

xl97
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
wasted? no such thing.. :)

have you seen the emitter plugs (cant remember who did it off hand) a member her did?

1 in of poly with an aluminum slug in it?

fits in blade holder perfect, when you turn i ton..has an "EL wire' type of effect.. like a glowing RING on top of you saber..

with the extra materials..you could make several..

darthdan
08-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Or a 2 foot blade for an off hand shortsword, or a blade for a saberspear, or a kids saber...