PDA

View Full Version : EpII Obi-Wan

Voice
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I've suddenly found myself wanting to put together a decent replica of an Episode 2 Obi-Wan saber, so I've just started to hunt out a parts list.

It looks like I'll be doing a bunch with sink tubes and sink tube adapters, but any tips would be welcome.

Looks like a blade holder 3, custom milled slightly smaller so it can be powder-coated black and still fit in the sink tube will be the starting point. Other than the sink tube adapters and the standard electronic innards, are there any other parts that can be gotten here?

Lord Dottore Matto
07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
There is a good tutorial at the big yellow box.

http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/plans02/SaberStyle2Intro.htm

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Um...that's the Ep. 1 saber...he asked about Ep. 2

Voice
07-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Well, from what I've found so far, the Ep1 & Ep2 sabers are more or less the same with just a few differences in the details, so an Ep1 will work as well.

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but that is false...

Obi loses his saber during the fight with Maul at the end of TPM and so builds a new saber for ATC which is in the style of his ANH saber which is along the lines of lukes ROTJ saber.

Two very different designs. I would post pics but my work computer doesn't like to let me do that, examples of both can easily be found by googling Obi TPM saber and Obi episode 2 saber.

Darth_DevilGuy
07-24-2008, 08:40 AM
actually I think it's different, he loses his saber in TPM and builds a similar one for AoTC which he loses on Geonosis, he then builds the one we see in RotS and ANH.

here's a pic of his AotC saber

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-46ebd4f812713-Star+Wars%3A+Attack+Of+The+Clones+%282002%29.jpeg

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I stand corrected sir. ::bows humbly:: :oops::oops::oops:

there is alot of conflicting information out there on this subject, thanks for clearing that up.

I will know tuck tail and forever leave this thread, but beware...

Now that you have struck me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!!!

Darth_DevilGuy
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
heh, considering that most of this is due to them losing props and making new ones movie to movie it get's confusing, I've been wanting to build an Obi AotC replica for awhile but that ball pommel is a problem, I know a couple of the machinists here have done it though.

Malaki Skywalker
07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
From what I've read, he uses the force to bring his saber back up from the shaft after killing Maul, Wookiepedia is a handy source :)

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok so being Sith, I lied, I didn't leave...MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Anywho, I'm looking into ways of doing it as well. i want to make a hardware version similar to BigYellowBox version, but I want to find something better for the pommel. Then when I finally get my lathe I will work on doing a turned version so it can put my hardware version in a corner and berate it to tears!!

Barmic Rin
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
From what I've read, he uses the force to bring his saber back up from the shaft after killing Maul, Wookiepedia is a handy source :)

Nope, he didn't. That was a rumour that went around before the cinema release.
There are minor (and I mean MINOR) differences between the two. it is a different saber that he built 3yrs after TPM, he took to using Qui gon's during that time. (read Rogue Planet)

Maul was never recovered either. His ship was, but the computer systems had incinerated themselves, so they were unreadable. Apparently the did recover the half of Maul's saber that lodges in the wall though.

As for this Saber, ask Daren at JQsabers where he gets his from. He may even sell you the kit. You will be looking at around $400 though.

Malaki Skywalker
07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Nope, he didn't. That was a rumour that went around before the cinema release.

Wookipedia, they lie :P

Tom Starkiller
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Barmic: The differences are due to teh actual prop being lost and therefore having to be remade.

Mal: BS! It's a melting pit lol! His saber and Maul melted.

Malaki Skywalker
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Mal: BS! It's a melting pit lol! His saber and Maul melted.

This be what I read: Either he somehow retrieved his saber from the pit or replaced his lost one by making an exact replica."

So cut me some slack :P

Tom Starkiller
07-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Either he somehow retrieved his saber from the pit or replaced his lost one by making an exact replica."

So cut me some slack :P

Well, niether of them are true lol. It was similar. :P

Voice
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
As for this Saber, ask Daren at JQsabers where he gets his from. He may even sell you the kit. You will be looking at around $400 though.

What/where is JQsabers? A Google search turned up 0 hits.

Darth Leximus
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
here ya go

http://www.jqlightsabers.co.uk/starwars.php

Barmic Rin
07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Malaki, i'm not bitching or anything. I'm just fussy when it comes to canon in the SW universe. There was that 'Visionaries' where Maul comes back as a cyborg.
(okay, he had the cool curved dual saber, but how did he survive a 50% weight loss 7 a great big fall?)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:OvMVisionaries.jpg

Just me being fussy....