PDA

View Full Version : Red Lux 3's burning out

jamesjeffh
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Ive had 2 blowouts in a week as soon as I put power to it and hit the switch a normal flash of light then blink blink blink DEAD anybody else have this happen to them ??? Ive also bought red-orange but those work perfectly fine

jamesjeffh
07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Scratch that now my red orange just blew out NOW Im mad

Malaki Skywalker
07-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Are you INSULATING the LED, it seems to be only the Reds and Red-Os that ground out if they are not insulated with something e.g. Cool tape. Theres your problem... :?

JediKnightBJ
07-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I too have had 2 Red Lux 3's burn out on my very quickly. Malaki Is correct. If you don't have them insulated from the heatsink they will ground out. I melted through some PVC because of this problem. The wires ground out against the Heatsink but because I was using something to pull the current like a buckpuck, it heated up the heatsink, melted the PVC and then blew the Red Lux 3. It was not a happy day in my home.

Darth_DevilGuy
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I use thermal paste am I in danger of blowing out my red-o ?

Darth Leximus
07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
You should be fine, I have been running a Red III for months with no insulation and it's going strong. I think there are just certain batches that have that ground out problem. I'm pretty sure it would ground out almost instantly if it was going to at all. So if you've been running it for a while with no problems you should be golden....especially if you are using insulation

Jedi-Loreen
07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I've wired up half a dozen red Lux IIIs for various friends, putting the star right down onto the heat sink, and have never had that kind of problem with any of them.

eastern57
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Ive had 2 blowouts in a week as soon as I put power to it and hit the switch a normal flash of light then blink blink blink DEAD anybody else have this happen to them ??? Ive also bought red-orange but those work perfectly fine

Scratch that now my red orange just blew out NOW Im mad

Wow, THREE LEDs BURNT OUT?!?! Malaki's on the right track, but dude, three LEDS gone... I'd guess it's more than just an insulation or R/O issue...

What's you set-up? You wouldn't happen to be direct driving it with some insane votage? Of course not :rolleyes: but seriously, batteries? resistance? drivers? Three casualties in a week is not normal...

JediKnightBJ
07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
On mine I was using a 1000ma buck puck and 2 AA batteries.

X
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I've never used a puck but I have read there specs don't you need 5v min to run through a buckpuck?

Novastar
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Sometimes the Red-Os are current-sensitive too.

Recently, I burned out two Red-Os when using CF with the red Flange III saber... and there is NO reason it should have, since it had worked for 6-8 MONTHS long prior to doing this... and the next one installed almost instantly died the same death.

Then, in went a 3rd one and I slightly lowered the current setting on CF. Works fine now. Now... I have to be honest with you... I don't get it.

I mean, for all I know--if I *WERE* to increase the current back to reflect 1500ma on CF... maybe THIS LED would survive. But whatever, who gives a donkey's balls, it looks plenty bright for now, and I'm getting sick of the whole Red-Orange Lux III LED thing with its "ground out" problem thing...

Just bizarre though.

eastern57
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Recently, I burned out two Red-Os when using CF with the red Flange III saber... and there is NO reason it should have, since it had worked for 6-8 MONTHS long prior to doing this... and the next one installed almost instantly died the same death...

really? huh. I guess I just haven't explored the boundaries to the same extent, that sounds so odd to me... I say this, of course, right before I blow out 4...:rolleyes:

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
yes min input for a 1000ma puck is 5v.

I don't see how putting less into it would blow your LEDs but I'm no electrical engineer.

jamesjeffh
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I ordered all 3 from led supply along with a bunch of k2's (all of which are running fine) I had 2 of them already attached to a heat sink and driver I used 4AA rechargeable batteries but still one flicked and went real dim and the other went dead completely but one of em Ive had for a week but all of a sudden my son goes to play with his lightsaber and nothin happens. I didnt cut any corners anywhere it makes no sense at all they never even had a chance to get hot

eastern57
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I ordered all 3 from led supply along with a bunch of k2's (all of which are running fine) I had 2 of them already attached to a heat sink and driver I used 4AA rechargeable batteries but still one flicked and went real dim and the other went dead completely but one of em Ive had for a week but all of a sudden my son goes to play with his lightsaber and nothin happens. I didnt cut any corners anywhere it makes no sense at all they never even had a chance to get hot

I guess all I can say is, I'm sorry to hear that. I've been fortunate to have it never happen to me [knocks on wood], but it's a phenomena that occurs fairly regularly it seems...

If it's hooked up properly, properly driven, properly powered, et cetera... consider the probable solutions eliminated, thus proving the improbable to be the inevitable answer: Gremlins...

jamesjeffh
07-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Gremlins ......... I hate gremlins

Jedi-Loreen
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
He must have fed the Mogwai after midnight. :p

And let it get wet. :wink:

eastern57
07-24-2008, 10:53 PM
and sensitive to bright lights?... starting to make a little more sense now, eh? :)

devious lil suckas...

Novastar
07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Lightsabers + Gremlins = Trouble with Tribbles

eastern57
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Sheesh... if only lightsabers could multiply like gremlins and tribbles... maybe that's where that guys is getting all those 616s...

Jay-gon Jinn
07-25-2008, 02:02 AM
This has been a problem for a few years now....if I remember, the red family of Luxeon III led's are put together on the star base with the led grounded to the base itself. You have to use some sort of non-conductive heat transfer material between the star and the heatsink, whether it be heat transfer tape or non-conductive paste. Also be sure that your wires are not touching the base either, when you solder to the led.