PDA

View Full Version : These Are Cool...

Phiily Manyaan
07-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I found these just doing a google search for DPDT switches...

Darth_DevilGuy
07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
any idea how deep they are?

Novastar
07-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I've seen those before Philly... indeed they look nice, but... they are BIG AS ALL HECK. Deep too.

They might be the "anti-vandal" types, which are recessed, sturdy like crazy, expensive... and also pretty huge.

Additionally, due to their "totally round" shape (and no real "curvature"), they CAN be tough to install onto a saber without a sort of... hmm, how do I say this... "side... gap... filler". Uh yeah. Well, anyhow--mounting a FLAT (but round) switch on a ROUND tube... it's not easy...

...especially once the switch's diameter begins to exceed 0.5 inches. The ones I've seen in the photos are like maybe 1" or a bit more in diameter. :)

Graphixa
07-22-2008, 03:42 AM
It is possible to mount this sort of switch in a MHS saber. As Nova says you do need some form of spacer.

I did this for my Halcyon saber, see:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4852

I am also doing the same for my latest project dual curved hilts which have a quick release coupler mechanism to connect them together.

xl97
07-22-2008, 07:14 AM
commonly known as anti-vandal switches ..

Hasid Lafre
07-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Yes, there ws a user on her enamed kit fisto, forgo from where and he used one and it sat deeper into the hilt than the guarded switches.

Phiily Manyaan
07-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah I thought they looked big, just thought they'd look sick. They'd have to be big to house the backlighting they have...that's the coolest part!

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I can see how some of the nice switches available really lend themselves more to use of OT-like 'activation box' designs than PT-like 'button-on-a-tube' designs.

Darth_DevilGuy
07-22-2008, 12:02 PM
it's weird mechanically those switches don't need to be that deep though, as much as I like the look of the activation boxes on some sabers, my form folow's function philosophy means I don't tend to include them in my designs, the only one I've ever seen that looked workable was the Mara Jade style.

Hasid Lafre
07-22-2008, 03:22 PM
They are that length anyway if they dont have the backlighting.