PDA

View Full Version : 1st Lightsaber

benny
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I got my 1st lightsaber done. Nothing special, just the hilt, no plans to add a blade or sound or anything to this one. Basic design was taken from the Big Yellow Box # 5 I believe.

Just wanted to practice a little and see what I was getting myself into.

Any critisim/comments/suggestions are welcome. I do cry easily :D so take it easy on me, again, this is my 1st one.

Did have one question so if anyone is looking & knows the answer or has a suggestion, great. The "grip" pieces that are cut out of the tube, when I want to build one w/a blade & want to add this detail, what should I use to make it so the grips can't get pushed in when holding it?? There's a wooden dowel in there now but that kind of cancels the option of any wiring. Would you just use a size smaller tube or pvc piping??

Again, thanks for looking.

Braxus
07-21-2008, 08:42 PM
hey benny :) awesome looking saber bud.

for the grip question i would have to go with a smaller diameter tube inside to give it that effect. thats just my opinion though ;)

Lord Dottore Matto
07-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Did have one question so if anyone is looking & knows the answer or has a suggestion, great. The "grip" pieces that are cut out of the tube, when I want to build one w/a blade & want to add this detail, what should I use to make it so the grips can't get pushed in when holding it?? There's a wooden dowel in there now but that kind of cancels the option of any wiring. Would you just use a size smaller tube or pvc piping??

Again, thanks for looking.

Good job. Just plan ahead and use a amaller diameter tube (like a 1 1/4 sink tube inside of a 1 1/2 and you are golden!:grin:

DDanDevious
07-22-2008, 06:18 AM
looks good... you might need to go in and smooth the edges of your cutouts a bit, they look like they could slice you pretty good... use a file and sandpaper... theres nothing worse than practicing with your new saber only to find that you have cut your hand all up! Trust me on this one Ive done it alot.

DDD

benny
07-22-2008, 07:12 AM
looks good... you might need to go in and smooth the edges of your cutouts a bit, they look like they could slice you pretty good... use a file and sandpaper... theres nothing worse than practicing with your new saber only to find that you have cut your hand all up! Trust me on this one Ive done it alot.

DDD

This one is actually gonna be just for display, but I'll double check it. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have any suggestions on making custom cuts like this?? Is a dremel tool your best bet or your only bet??

I have to be honest, was a little nervous posting this on here. I feel a little out of my league w/this whole thing. I'm both looking forward to and dreading my 1st one w/electronics and a blade.

But, I'm a taxidermist by day & don't turn anything down doing that. These are at least for myself and not paying customers!!!

Drichar Deis
07-22-2008, 01:35 PM

DDD

I thought that was why we had a lightsaber injuries thread? ;)

DDanDevious
07-22-2008, 02:02 PM
ok you got me, I actually purposefully sharpen the edges of all my sinktube... nothing says Sith like being covered in blood... even if its your own hahaha. Ok got to go buy some band aids.

DDD

benny
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
ok you got me, I actually purposefully sharpen the edges of all my sinktube... nothing says Sith like being covered in blood... even if its your own hahaha. Ok got to go buy some band aids.

DDD

isn't that half the fun?? showing off the stupid injuries you inflict on yourself and not necessarily on others?? :)

DarthFender
07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
This one is actually gonna be just for display, but I'll double check it. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have any suggestions on making custom cuts like this?? Is a dremel tool your best bet or your only bet??

I have to be honest, was a little nervous posting this on here. I feel a little out of my league w/this whole thing. I'm both looking forward to and dreading my 1st one w/electronics and a blade.

But, I'm a taxidermist by day & don't turn anything down doing that. These are at least for myself and not paying customers!!!

Every Single one of us were out of our league when we started. But practice makes perfect. (AND I am FAR From perfect.) Just keep doing it if you like it.

BTW, I really like the design. Looks very OT.