PDA

View Full Version : Change the tip mirror?

Vardarac
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I've been looking at a lot of LED sabers lately and have noticed that their tips are very dim, often because of the mirror placed at the end of them. Further, the brightness of the blade seems to start out very bright, dim, then grow brighter again toward the end of the blade. Could we, by modifying the opacity and shape of the tip's mirror, achieve a greater tip brightness and more consistent blade brightness (respectively)?

Malaki Skywalker
07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
If you want a nice and bright tip, you will want 2 cut discs of semi-reflective Mylar, its an Anti-Static material most computer components come in, hope this helps :)

Novastar
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
To a point, this is already done. But it depends on your preference. Personally, I don't use UBER-reflective tips that cover the entire bottom of the tip inside the blade... no... I use semi-reflective foil tape and I don't QUITE cover the tip in its entirety.

Regarding the way the light is brightest at the source and dimmer up the high center... and finally a bit brighter near the reflective tip... I'm afraid that's just physics, light and diffusion! :) At least... in the way we're doing things ("flashlight" style).

However... blade lengths >36" are big mistakes in my opinion. Not only for even light diffusion... but for weight! Most all of my blades are around 32" to 34". I don't think any are 36", with possibly the exception of a recent over-driven Luxeon V saber I've made.