PDA

View Full Version : Special plastic glue

LanceM
03-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Why is it special? What is it? Where can I get it?

LanceM

"You'll find Im full of surprises"

james3
03-06-2006, 07:27 PM
If you use a glue that is designed for use with clear plastics it will not yellow or cloud and it also bonds very strong. I use 3M 4475 Plastic Adhesive that I pick up at my local alarm equipment supplier. I would bet hardware and electronics stores would carry it too.

xwingband
03-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, what Tim uses is Weld-on. It's special because it bonds the plastic together. It actually makes it like a goo if you pull it off a few seconds after. It may be hard to find though.

Anything that chemically bonds the plastics is cool. I know we got on this subject once but searching is failig me...[:(]

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Do-Clo
03-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Craftics #33 works great for me, I have never had a problem with it holding and it stays clear. Do a google search and you should find a place to get it from.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

Strydur
03-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I would sell the stuff but then I have to deal with hazmat crap /shiver

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

xwingband
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Really, you'd have to worry about hazmat regulations for Weld-on??? I get it from a local place but they ship it too. Maybe it one of those things you don't tell them what it is they look the other way?!?!

Strydur
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
From what I can tell it is considered hazmat. The only way to ship Hazmat items is to take the training classes and be certified. You could just ignore this little bit of info but if anything was to happen I am sure it would be a fine none of us would want to pay.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LanceM
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Do you guys think like Model glue would work?

BTW, I got my first shipment today and started building... I should be done my tomm, save the glue problem.... I dont know if you can keep track of who orders what or who ask questions... Still waiting on the 2nd order I place, but not in a big hurry..

Im not amazed with my first saber, but Im proud that Ive built it myself. I need to work with my dremel more though... How did you guys avoid the discoloring from the heat on the inside of the brass tube that happened when I cut the curves into the top of the saber? Im thinking of just painting it black to hide the discoloration that happened or maybe polishing it up and seeing what it looks like.

LanceM

"You'll find Im full of surprises"

james3
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM
A few years back when I was working in a gun shop they had that setup and the manager did all the regulations stuff and he told us don't screw up cause the fines were more than all of us made in a month. I think that any store that is regularly buying and shipping the hazmat stuff gets the training free or cheap but for the individual it's probally a huge fee.

james3
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
I would be afraid that the model glue would yellow, but I haven't messed with it in years.

Do-Clo
03-07-2006, 07:03 AM
The big problem with shipping glue (hazmat) is that it has to be shipped in a seperate box packed following the requiremnets for the material you are shipping and it also has to be shipped labeled as hazmat, and can not be sent by airplane, all shipping must be done by truck. By the time that tube of glue gets to you the shipping costs more than the glue. Some companies just sell it and ship it with the practice of don't ask don't tell, but if ever caught they will wish they never had, because the govermnet deptartments that oversee such things will come and make bad things happen, and then crawl through your records and bust you for every time you shiped it.

Do-Clo

supertrogdor
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
a simple plastic epoxy will work, home depot or lowes will carry it for a few bucks. I haven't had any problems yet, but i also have not yet stress tested like some of our other cohorts. Any thoughts?

LAN-ED-TUL
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
well i got my new can of weld-on 3 today. and they just ship it ups in a cardboard box. so i think if tim wanted he could do it the same way. also, tim, how the heck do you reseal your can? that first one i had i used to glue on a tip, remember, and i put lid back on. i checked it a while back and it was all gone. it evaporated. so how do you seal it back up so that dont happen?

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

xwingband
03-07-2006, 06:43 PM
What kind of can was it in? I have a big aluminum can and you just have to tighten it. The rubber piece in the lid seals it.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
that first can i got was a smaller one, i unscrewed the lid and there was a metal insert in the opening. i had to pry it out. the lid had no rubber seal or anything at all in it. i have not opened this new can. its a larger can than the first one. it looks like a larger form of the can you get when you get pvc glue and primer, if you see what i mean. the first can, the one that dried up, was just a lil bit bigger than those, this new can is alot bigger than that.

i wanted the advice before i opened this one, and had the same thing happen, as this stuff is not cheap, when you throw in the shipping. its 20 bucks or more.

if i open the new one and theres no rubber seal, before i pull out the insert, what would you recommend i use for a seal?

foxmulder241
04-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Can you use crazy glue to put it on, I know that stuff holds good I was being a wise guy on night and i decided i would glue shut the freezer door and in a matter of seconds i had a hard time getting open and it even ripped part of the seal on.

987654321a
04-01-2006, 01:38 PM
dude crazy glue melts plastic i mean as well as burning ur fingers if it gets on the glue will melt it therefore ruining the tip.

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com
http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/598a8186b2.gif

Do-Clo
04-01-2006, 04:52 PM
The problem with super glue is the fumes that are given off as it dries which cause clouding of the inside and outside of your tip and blade. The outside could be polished off but there is no way to fix the inside clouding. I use Graftics #33 glue check your local craft store they should carry it.

Do-Clo

LAN-ED-TUL
04-02-2006, 01:30 AM
or the weld-on 3 glue too. this last can i got is a bigger one than the first i got. and it resealed good, hasnt dried out. maybe that first can had a defect or something.

Do-Clo
04-02-2006, 07:33 AM
The Craftics glue I have is in a tube and it is a thicker so it is easier to control.

Do-Clo

LAN-ED-TUL
04-02-2006, 08:01 AM
have you had any tips pop off using it?

Do-Clo
04-02-2006, 08:11 AM
It is for acrylic and I have not had a problem yet.

Do-Clo

tetmatek
04-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Duramix a 3M company offers a special glue that will glue anything plus can be tappeed for threads if needed. Can be shipped no hazmat problems. It's part number is 4747. It requires a mixing gun is the only draw back. here's a link to check out
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666PoyCOrrrr Q-
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_QC0JBLQ0GRgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_BQL0QJVBXPbl/gvel_DDC4KLKK5Wgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html
i get this shipped all the time and you won't find a product like this that you can drill,Tap,Sand, and you can fix screw ups like miss drilled holes.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg