PDA

View Full Version : Viridian?

Darth Kronos
07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
does anyone have a secret recipe for a viridian blade? It should be a sort of silvery green.

Vardarac
07-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Probably an off-bin Cyan Luxeon (code 3+, perhaps)

LeMoel
07-19-2008, 02:11 AM
i would get some lee filters,do clo has made a nice filtered saber with lee filters and a white k2,a p4 would work even better

but most of the cyans that are coming out these days are more of a spearmint green .,so thats basically virdian,so its really up to u,look at www.doclosabers.com he has a spearmint cyan under blades for cyan

eastern57
07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
does anyone have a secret recipe for a viridian blade? It should be a sort of silvery green.

Are you the same cat that asked about this over on FX-sabers?

Regardless, you might have to do some first-hand investigating...

"Blue to green to somewhere inbetween" has a reputation for not photographing accurately, e.g. a cyan bin2 will look like a bin1 in pictures. Blue and Yellow are usually a tad more prominent in those inbetween color blends. Make sense?

There's lots of pictures here, so look around for ideas - just keep in mind that there is that subtle shift in pics.

!!!! ;)

Darth Kronos
07-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Are you the same cat that asked about this over on FX-sabers?

Regardless, you might have to do some first-hand investigating...

"Blue to green to somewhere inbetween" has a reputation for not photographing accurately, e.g. a cyan bin2 will look like a bin1 in pictures. Blue and Yellow are usually a tad more prominent in those inbetween color blends. Make sense?

There's lots of pictures here, so look around for ideas - just keep in mind that there is that subtle shift in pics.

!!!! ;)

That's exactly why drafters and architects use cyan drafting pencils for the initial design sketches. Once the blueprints are finalized with black ink they can be photocopied with no sign of the cyan pencil.

I was thinking that it might be possible to blend a couple different colors of EL wire.

By the way that cat wasn't me.

eastern57
07-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I was thinking that it might be possible to blend a couple different colors of EL wire.

By the way that cat wasn't me.

Rog. Anyway, if I understand correctly, viridian is a little more green/white than green/blue, right? This pic is my P4 green, this is actually what it looks like - it photographs well; not so well with video...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/greenro.jpg

Cyan bin6 is a nice minty green, Jay-gon Jinn used one in one of his, you might PM him to see how well it compared to the fo'real...

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4783&page=2

Is this about what you're looking for?

Hasid Lafre
07-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Bin 2 is when i starts to turn green to the eye but will look like a bin 1 on camera.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Star%20Wars/Jedi%20Stuff/My%20Saber%20Stuff/SD530359.jpg

Thats a bin 2 but to the eye it looks more like this just a touch greener.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Star%20Wars/Jedi%20Stuff/My%20Saber%20Stuff/MRMaceDiffusertubeinTCSSblade2.jpg

sekrogue1985
07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
I have various CYAN LUX III's and I started testing them. ON carmera the lower numbers come off more blue to green and the higher ones definitely come off more of what your looking for. Sadly you'll never really get that pure color. Eyes are a tricky thing honestly. WIth my bin 2 red/orange my wife says it's more red when I see more orange. People are different so you'll need to gauge it for yourself. BUt yeah try cyan lux 3 ranging in 5 or 6 if you can get them that is.

eastern57
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I have various CYAN LUX III's and I started testing them. ON carmera the lower numbers come off more blue to green and the higher ones definitely come off more of what your looking for. Sadly you'll never really get that pure color. Eyes are a tricky thing honestly. WIth my bin 2 red/orange my wife says it's more red when I see more orange. People are different so you'll need to gauge it for yourself. BUt yeah try cyan lux 3 ranging in 5 or 6 if you can get them that is.

Derail...

Didn't you refer to her as a "soon to be wife" earlier? Did you get married between then and now? and if so...

GET THE HECK OFF YOUR COMPUTER!!!

Hasid Lafre
07-21-2008, 09:46 AM
bin 5 and 6 cyans are green so maybe try a bin 3 or 4.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's a easy way to find out what Viridian REALLY looks like...

Open up MS Paint and under Colours click on Edit Colours then Define Colours...in the box where it says red type in 64, where it says green type in 130, where it says blue type in 109...that is the standard RGB triplet for REAL Viridian: 64, 130, 109

Now click add to custom colours...click on ok and you will see that on the colour palette at the bottom left in Paint what was black has now been replaced with a greenish colour - click on the 'paint pail' icon and in the whitespace to fill the Paint document with...glorious Viridian!

Now save that under the name viridian and close out paint - find it in your documents or wherever, right click and set as background...take a good loooong look at your REAL VIRIDIAN desktop...it is NOT "silver green" as the KOTOR writers INCORRECTLY described Viridian but it is a nice fairly well saturated colour that is partway between blue and green a bit more on the green side [as you can see from the G 130 : B 109 ratio].

Now since REAL Viridian still contains SOME red you are not going to EXACTLY get it with any shade of cyan LED...the only way to be SURE to get a REAL Viridian lightsaber blade would be to use a RGB LEd with some kinda digital controller that allowed us to set 0-255 RGB values directly as we did above in paint...its unlikely we would get EXACTLY 'on' real Viridian with pots...so until Erv, Corbin or someone makes a digital colour mixing RGB LED driver we probably arent going to get EXACT REAL VIRIDIAN lightsabers.

BUT we can kinda guess from the RGB approximately where the closest CYAN bins would be to real Viridian.

However since REAL Viridian is NOT the KOTOR 'viridian' LIGHTSABER colour described as "silvery" we need to take that into account somewhat as well...Cyan LEDs get APPARENTLY brighter as they get closer to the low bin numbers because of peculiarities of human colour perception so to get a more 'silvery' i.e. 'paler' KOTOR Viridian we migght want to take that into accountand adjust a little towards the low bin...

On that basis my best guess is that Bin THREE Cyan may be closest possible coloured LED to KOTOR 'Viridian'...Bin FOUR Cyan might [?] be a slight bit closer to REAL Viridian but the slightly apparently brighter/paler thus a bit more 'silvery' SEEMING Bin 3 Cyan may be closer to the incorrect KOTOR description of 'viridian' lightsabers that I guess is what most people here REALLY want more than REAL Viridian ...at least I *suspect* so...

I have 4 cyans and all are low bin #1s not #3 so I'm not certain but thats how I reason it out anyway...

I think a Bin 5 or 6 Cyan is going to be too far to the green but I dont have any of them either to be sure...

If anyone has a Bin 3 and Bin 4 cyan LED and wants to do the Paint trick outlined above and tell me which compares better I'd be most grateful...my eyes are almost exactly the colour of RGB Viridian so I'd love to get a 'Viridian' cyan LED both "real" and "KOTOR" varieties to see which matches best.

Hasid Lafre
07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Ok bin 5 and 6 cyan are so green tim sold them as a green leds.

Vardarac
07-22-2008, 08:56 AM
If I were Tim I'd just put the full available color table up based on how the LEDs look to him >>

But I'm not, so there you have it.

Hasid Lafre
07-22-2008, 09:06 AM
There is the blade color forums.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
There is the blade color forums.

Yeah but as I understand the "read first" there that blade colour forum is meant just for posting PICS of how people HAVE got various colours...not to discuss HOW TO get certain colours.

And since different people using different cameras with different exposure settings under differing ambient lighting conditions etc can yield wildly different results it is really not a definite way of comparing different colours much less bins within colours...and most of the pics dont include bin info anyway.

A chart of all saber LED colours by bins with photos would be useful but I completely understand that Strydur has better things to do with his time getting 299 items in the shop for us to buy [thank you!] and leaves us to post pics in that forum instead...those pics just dont answer all our questions thus we still need to discuss colour elsewhere than that forum which isnt meant for answer all our colour questions.

Hasid Lafre
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
if there was a certin shade then youc ould pm that person to see if they A: still have it and can check or B: try to remember what bin it was. best you can do is hope that someone has a bin 3 or 4 cyan to try for yourself.

sekrogue1985
07-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Derail...

Didn't you refer to her as a "soon to be wife" earlier? Did you get married between then and now? and if so...

GET THE HECK OFF YOUR COMPUTER!!!

weekend signed the government papers saying we are married the wedding hold cause her parents are sticklers and don't have the money to give their daughter a wedding. she doesn't care about a wedding we kinda had a small one with our friends and whatnot the big shabang will happen later once we both finish school.

and when i'm on the computer I'm usually at work, class, or she is at work. Any time else well rather busy... I"ll leave that to your imagination eastern :P

Darth Kronos
07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
weekend signed the government papers saying we are married the wedding hold cause her parents are sticklers and don't have the money to give their daughter a wedding. she doesn't care about a wedding we kinda had a small one with our friends and whatnot the big shabang will happen later once we both finish school.

and when i'm on the computer I'm usually at work, class, or she is at work. Any time else well rather busy... I"ll leave that to your imagination eastern :P

Congrats Darth Cookie.

eastern57
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
... I"ll leave that to your imagination eastern :P

"I don't know... I can imagine quite a bit..."

And congratulations, dude. :cool:

[/re-rail]

Darth Leximus
07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Congrats man!!

::Another one bites the dust plays in the background::

Welcome to the ranks!

LeMoel
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
man get a rgb led,and a dimmer... and dim the blue and green,u can make a nice viridian, i was testin it ,no pictures buyt it worked