PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars character concepts and sketches.

Darth Kronos
07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
First of all I am a 3D computer animator and traditional artist, I am also a very serious STAR WARS "FAN"ATIC. As an artist I am always interested in the work of other artists. I know that at least some, if not most of you, have an artistic side. If you do, please feel free to post some of your STAR WARS related character design sketches, and, or concepts here. If you would like to see your conceptual sketches rendered in 3D, or animated, I might just be willing to put in the time. I have to warn you though, character development is a very time consuming process.

The pics below are of a Sith character that I am currently working on for s**ts and giggles.

Also, 3D rotating renderings of your saber designs would be no problem, but please limit your requests to designs that you are absolutely sure of.

Lord Dottore Matto
07-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Dude, you are good!:twisted::evil:

Darth Kronos
07-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Thank you. That character took 4 months so far and she isn't even rigged for animation yet. I'll try to render an animation of her mechanical eyes, they operate like the aperture of a camera lens. It's too frakin cool.

Phiily Manyaan
07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm not the greatest artist in the world, but this is my character, Phiily Manyaan. He is a Corellian smuggler (sounds familiar), but the force is strong with him. His craft of choice is a Lambda-class shuttle purchased off the black market, as it is an imperial shuttle.

I have a fairly detailed account that I've written down somewhere on how he was flying near the tibanna gas mines and Lukes saber fell into the intake of his ship and thats what led him to be trained by master Skywalker. Just don't know if that coincides with any other books.

Drichar Deis
07-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not the greatest artist in the world, but this is my character, Phiily Manyaan. He is a Corellian smuggler (sounds familiar), but the force is strong with him. His craft of choice is a Lambda-class shuttle purchased off the black market, as it is an imperial shuttle.

I have a fairly detailed account that I've written down somewhere on how he was flying near the tibanna gas mines and Lukes saber fell into the intake of his ship and thats what led him to be trained by master Skywalker. Just don't know if that coincides with any other books.

Is that David Hasselhoff? or Gary Glitter?........... No its Phiily Manyaan.

Arm on Fire
07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Is it me or is Darth Kronos's character kind of HOT! (in a starwars geek kind of way) :)

Brackley
07-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Luke's sabre was recovered along with his hand, and eventually used by Joruus C'Baoth to create the clone Luuke. Both were killed by Mara Jade and the real Skywalker, and Luke gave the lightsabre to Mara as she began her training.

So it does conflict with accepted canon...but my character's backstory does the same, so we're in the same boat there :p

37H4N
07-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Good 3D render there. I always wanted to do stuff like that.

I started a story for my Jedi/Grey Jedi character awhile back and haven't finished yet but when I do I'll post it along with a drawing if I can get that done too.
The reason it's taking so long is because I made up my own race and started their history from their creation to when my character was born and then some. Plus I'm trying to make it somewhat coincide with the SW timeline. Total nerd I'm sure, I made up my own race/character with an entire timeline of their race and civilization. Did I go too far with it? Probably but it was fun. :lol:

beggarsoutpost
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Hello there...man I really like your stuff...myself and a friend worked on a short animated Star Wars film in 2002 and 2004...very simple still image animation colored in Photo-shop... edited on Vegas and we were talking the other day about trying another one with some of the newer programs that were not around or were to expensive back then. Your stuff is exactly what we were talking about... I've included a couple of pics of concept art for you to check out to see if you would be interested in bringing these charters to life in your style...I have tons of development work and I could share the link to the movie if you would be like....Thanks for looking.
These pics are of the main hero, the tough princess and her guardian and the evil bad guy...their names are Ra-Vange...Mirren and Sedge Moor...and Venal Aimes

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/4/6/6/2/webimg/17770457_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/4/6/6/2/webimg/17770447_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/4/6/6/2/webimg/17770435_o.jpg

Darth Kronos
07-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Hello there...man I really like your stuff...myself and a friend worked on a short animated Star Wars film in 2002 and 2004...very simple still image animation colored in Photo-shop... edited on Vegas and we were talking the other day about trying another one with some of the newer programs that were not around or were to expensive back then. Your stuff is exactly what we were talking about... I've included a couple of pics of concept art for you to check out to see if you would be interested in bringing these charters to life in your style...I have tons of development work and I could share the link to the movie if you would be like....Thanks for looking.
These pics are of the main hero, the tough princess and her guardian and the evil bad guy...their names are Ra-Vange...Mirren and Sedge Moor...and Venal Aimes

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/4/6/6/2/webimg/17770457_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/4/6/6/2/webimg/17770447_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/4/6/6/2/webimg/17770435_o.jpg
Cool pics, I'd like to see the film.

I hate to say it but most of the programs for 3d work are still way out of the price range of most people. The problem is that these software packages were never really intended to be consumer products, they were designed to meet industry specific needs. I'm using Autodesk Maya 2008 unlimited which retails for eight thousand dollars US. They do produce a scaled down version called Maya complete for about $1999.00 US. Contrary to what the name implies Maya Complete is far from it. Maya complete has no dynamic cloth, fur, or hair capabilities, nor does it allow fluid dynamics simulations for water, smoke, or fire, and there are a lot of other major limitations. Autodesk's 3D Max costs $3499.00. The cheapest high quality 3D package would probobly be lightwave studio, you can pick up a copy for about $750.00. Lightwave is actually a really great program, and it has the best "out of the box" render engine on the market. All of the CGI shots in the Battlstar Galactica series are done with lightwave. Babylon 5 was also done with lightwave, they did amazing stuff with it and that was over a decade ago. There is an open source 3d package called blender that's pretty good, but personally I hate it's interface.

Darth Kronos
07-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Is it me or is Darth Kronos's character kind of HOT! (in a starwars geek kind of way) :)

You should see her full length. ;) Even better, you should see the girl who posed for it.:D:D:D Although, if you take away the mohawk and tattoos it looks exactly like her. I'll render and post it later.

Darth Kronos
07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Good 3D render there. I always wanted to do stuff like that.

I started a story for my Jedi/Grey Jedi character awhile back and haven't finished yet but when I do I'll post it along with a drawing if I can get that done too.
The reason it's taking so long is because I made up my own race and started their history from their creation to when my character was born and then some. Plus I'm trying to make it somewhat coincide with the SW timeline. Total nerd I'm sure, I made up my own race/character with an entire timeline of their race and civilization. Did I go too far with it? Probably but it was fun. :lol:

I don't know how far you actually took it, but an interesting back story makes for the best characters.

Darth Kronos
07-20-2008, 01:04 AM

Is that really a design of your personal saber? If it is, it's very cool. I don't think I've ever seen one with the taper towards the back like that. kudos.:cool:

Arm on Fire
07-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Sweet!, though it may go aginst the "pg" rating around here, frankly Im suprised nothing has been said thus far. anyway you could always PM :)

Phiily Manyaan
07-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Is that really a design of your personal saber? If it is, it's very cool. I don't think I've ever seen one with the taper towards the back like that. kudos.:cool:

Yep, thats it. I should post real pics. I was going for Obi-wan TPM style, but the elongated part with the grips looked alot better than the "ball" I tried to do with the thin neck and pommel 4. I put Luke style grips there and it looks sick in person. I'm toying with the idea of put a vader-style shroud on it, but we'll see. Thank you for noticing it and the compliment, That's awesome!

Oh and I think my drawing bears an odd resemblance to Will Ferrell.

Strydur
07-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Nice work.. We do need to keep it pg though so I took off the one with the nipple shot.

Mcich
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM
alright just so you all know my wife is the artist not me, she decided to see what my character Mcich would look like as a Darkside character, I put him on the background, the pic is still not 100% complete, but here it is so far

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9290/mcichdarksideok0.jpg

jedi/storm
07-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Well guys i can draw but im currently making 3.3/4 inch figures ive don Lord Do-Clo and have a back story so here is my character Stoma Coear

Darth Kronos
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice work.. We do need to keep it pg though so I took off the one with the nipple shot.

Not a problem Tim. I just haven't figured out what kind of outfit to give her yet.:cool:

Darth Kronos
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Well guys i can draw but im currently making 3.3/4 inch figures ive don Lord Do-Clo and have a back story so here is my character Stoma Coear

Cool.:cool: What are you using super sculpy?

Arm on Fire
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
You should see her full length. ;) Even better, you should see the girl who posed for it.:D:D:D Although, if you take away the mohawk and tattoos it looks exactly like her. I'll render and post it later.

anytime you want to share those pics ;)
armonfiredesigns@comcast.net

Lord Preston
07-20-2008, 04:29 PM

Uhh, get a room!;)

Taylor
07-20-2008, 06:07 PM

*backs away slowly* :eek:

jedi/storm
07-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Kronos im using milliput but the ones ive got on here are simple have a look on here. I love the 3D rendering if you want them turned into figs let me know

http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=3920

http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=4125

Darth Kronos
08-05-2008, 12:17 AM
:cool:
What are you using to create your armature? Any good art supply store would have good quality armature wire in stock. For humanoid characters I would suggest buying a book entitled "Human Anatomy For The Artist"(only $6.00) or just use any scaled drawing of the human skeleton as a guide for the creation of your armatures. Creating an armature is simple, you take some very stiff wire and hold it up against a scaled anatomical rendering, cut it to size, and bend, fold and crease it into a skeleton. Once the skeleton is done, build up the "tissue" by wrapping the "bones" with aluminum foil. After the armature is completely wrapped, layer on "Super Sculpy" There are several different brands of sculpy clay, But "SUPER SCULPY" is not only the best, but it is also the Hollywood standard for "Maquette" construction. Super sculpy comes on two grades, SOFT (pink) and FIRM (grey). I strongly suggest using both in a 1x1 mixture of the two. The soft is hard to work with because it dents easily and any fingerprints will have to be sanded later. The Firm Sculpy is a little too hard to work with and eventually really hurts your hands, however, if you buy a box of each and mix them very well you will have clay that is very easily workable, and easily cured in your oven. If the Maquette is too big for the oven, you could also "BAKE" it in your car for the day; but I wouldn't suggest it. I would however suggest buying some sculpy tools, they are usually found near the sculpy clay, and they look like an artists paintbrush with a rubber tip; they are a little expensive, but well worth every dime. The only drawback is that sculpy is brittle and will crack, so any maquette that you make should be molded and cast in resin or some similar medium to ensure permanancy. This is an early example of my work with sculpy clay. http://a510.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_da4af1ece484bba6db3305452e2d769d.jpg