PDA

View Full Version : Decide for yourself - more vids

eastern57
07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sure I'm just stoking the what's-brighter-fires, but I took the video for myself... I think it's appropriate to share as well.

two sabers - one camera... winner take all [/end stupidness]

Lux V green vs. P4 green, seen it before? okay.

Lux V = 7.4V Li-Ions (2x 18650s) @ 1A (over-driven by 300mA)

Seoul P4 = 4.8V rechargeable NiMH @ 1.2A (over-driven by 200mA)

Both using 34" thin walled ultrablades, and 10 degree collimators.

Lights out:

click
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/th_MOV03438.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/?action=view&current=MOV03438.flv)

lights on:

click
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/th_MOV03439.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/?action=view&current=MOV03439.flv)

...decide for yourself...

:)

Novastar
07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't know what it is but... I can never see your movies, Eastern! D'oh!! :) They are always .jpg--just pictures...

I don't mean to de-rail, but... WAAAAAAH? ME WANNA SEEEEEEE!!! :)

NOVA LIKE PRETTY LIGHT! lol hahah

Eandori
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
They do indeed look pretty even to me! The saber on the right is more evenly lit but in terms of brightness it's so closer I would say the P4 Green is a better LED! Since it's forward voltage is lower, and it costs less per LED (right?) Seems like we have a new champ for green LED sabers.

Thanks for posting this, I was just wondering about how they compare in another thread.

Hasid Lafre
07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I would like to see it at 1.5a :D

But I would also like to see how it compares agenst a luxIII and a k2.

If its better than maybe we could get tim to stock them too.

Eandori
07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Well it seems about even to a lux V. And in my video you see Lux V versus a K2. So I can probably assume the Seoul P4 green to the Green K2 is about like my video was. I have never seen a Green Lux III in person but I have every reason to believe it's at the bottom of that list now.

eastern57
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't know what it is but... I can never see your movies, Eastern! D'oh!! :) They are always .jpg--just pictures...

I don't mean to de-rail, but... WAAAAAAH? ME WANNA SEEEEEEE!!! :)

NOVA LIKE PRETTY LIGHT! lol hahah

[sticks pacifier in Novastar's mouth] HAha, JK ;)

clicking on the picture shoud take you to my photobucket account - and it should play there. If you have a pop-up blocker on, hold down ctrl or shift while you click it.

if that doesn't work, feel free to browse, I don't mind...
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/

And if I can get another one (P4 green), I'll try to step it up fo 1.5A, just for comparison, but I don't want to risk burning out my only one...

xwingband
07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
To me the right (P4?) was weaker.

With my eyes the P4 wasn't as good as a V. I had two so I don't think both were duds.

If we factor in volts yes, it's a better deal. To me I was disappointed because it advertised a good bit more lumens compared to the V and in that it does NOT deliver. Even in this video you can tell it's not brighter and if I had to call it the V is edging it out.

Now... try a Rebel. :) That one delivered IMO. To my eyes they're even.

eastern57
07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
doh, sorry, yes: Lux V on the left and P4 on the right.

Novastar
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the link Eastern, that worked!

As near as my eyes could see from the video... they DO look like slightly different shades of green (that's normal), but as near as I can see... they look at LEAST evenly matched.

That settles it for me... it's WORTH trying a P4 Green... *MOST ESPECIALLY* when the fwd voltage is not nearly as awfully ridiculous, AND it means you can overdrive a lot better when using 7.2v.

What a FIND! Great work Eastern... :)

gundamaniac
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
IMO, near as I can tell, they're pretty even. I like both! haha. Just as eastern said, decide for yourself. It's great to know there's more options out there now.

killphil
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
The Lux V had a much larger glow around it. The Lux V appeared to be the brighter of the 2. I'd like this same comparison to be made against a green V and the highest binned Rebel green. The Rebel is supposed to be putting out around 200 lumens when driven at it's max capacity of 1a.

Novastar
07-18-2008, 12:10 AM
But again, 6.85 volts forward for Lux V vs. --what is it?-- 3.8 volts? for the P4... it's way better for run-time, with only a tiny loss.

Plus, if everyone notices, the Lux V was being "over-driven" by 300ma, while the P4... "only" 200ma.

Besides, running a Lux V with 7.2v with CF won't yield 1.2A for very long... soon enough, it will not be able to maintain maximum brightness. Whereas, with the P4 (or K2 for that matter), it could maintain brightness throughout the DURATION OF THE CELL CHARGE.

So, ultimately, if it's all about brightness... like Eandori says: go get yerself an H-blade! :) If it's a question of just a TINY bit more lumens, I say there are other advantages to be aware of on the whole give and take, heheh.

But--true--it'd be neat to see a properly "optic-cized" (not a word!!) Rebel. An optic-ized Rebel? A optimus primed Rebel. An optimized Rebel? A rebellious Rebel? Grrr. Bad.

gundamaniac
07-18-2008, 12:33 AM
What about a Megatronized Rebel?

Taking the forward voltages into account...I'm pretty sold on that green P4...pretty darned bright and better runtime.

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Seeing as the voltage cost is way less than a luxV its more efficent and iam sure if you drive it to 1.3 or so it will oust that luxV.

Kant Lavar
07-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Bah. Veritech'd Rebel.

I'd say they were just about even, IMHO. If the P4 really does give better brightness over time... *shrug*

Too bad Tim doesn't have these in the store. (Nudge nudge, grin grin, wink wink, say no more.)

Eandori
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Yep, I'm with Novastar. If they are as close as the video shows... the Green Seoul P4 is a much better LED then the Luxeon V green. I'll be switching to those.

However I'm a bit troubled by what Xwing said... he's green P4's were not as bright. So... either Xwing had a few duds or Eastern set up the Lux V wrong... I'd like to know which that was.

So Xwing, you said the Rebel put out more light then the Lux V? I assume you mean a single-LED rebel? Can you list a link of stats/where to buy it?

Count Malik
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Yep, I'm with Novastar. If they are as close as the video shows... the Green Seoul P4 is a much better LED then the Luxeon V green. I'll be switching to those.

However I'm a bit troubled by what Xwing said... he's green P4's were not as bright. So... either Xwing had a few duds or Eastern set up the Lux V wrong... I'd like to know which that was.

So Xwing, you said the Rebel put out more light then the Lux V? I assume you mean a single-LED rebel? Can you list a link of stats/where to buy it?

Yeah same here to X! Please and thank you!:rolleyes::D

xwingband
07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I buy them from LED-tech.de. http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-LEDs-Luxeon/Luxeon-REBEL/Luxeon-REBEL-auf-Platine-LT-1014_49_85.html

Don't take their specs for gospel. The LumiLEDs specs state the max amperage as 1000mA. http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS56.pdf

To my eye the Rebel is on par with the V provided both are driven at spec (700mA for the V). The V irks it out at 1A, but really most aren't getting that max light for very long. Other than me and Eandori I don't know of anyone immeadiately that has used an 8.4V or 9.6V to do that. (That's something to check if eastern is actually getting 1A to the V)

I don't find the video troubling... to me the V is brighter clearly. I don't think I said (I hope not) my P4 wasn't "bright", as subjective as that is. It was bright... just not brighter than a V. Specs promised over 180+ lumens. On that front I was totally disappointed as it clearly was below the V.

I wish I had 3 identical blades because I have all three at my bench. :(

gundamaniac
07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
How about firing them up even without blades and spacing the sabers a bit apart, just so we can see the amount of flare-out each one gives from the emitter? It'd be better than nothing. Or using a camera and keeping the aperture and shutter speed settings identical, then taking pictures of each saber with the same blade?

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Take a blade and cut it into 3 equal sections.

xwingband
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, decide for yourself...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_6Qe6kCBk

Rebel vs. V I didn't go 1A on the V, but the change is minimal.

Phiily Manyaan
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
eastern, I just happened to see some of your other pics in your library and I thought I was the only one who saw a maul emitter in my shower!!!!

Stevegel
07-23-2008, 06:35 PM
X, i got 3 Ultra blade if you need for testing.

I buy them from LED-tech.de. http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-LEDs-Luxeon/Luxeon-REBEL/Luxeon-REBEL-auf-Platine-LT-1014_49_85.html

Don't take their specs for gospel. The LumiLEDs specs state the max amperage as 1000mA. http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS56.pdf

To my eye the Rebel is on par with the V provided both are driven at spec (700mA for the V). The V irks it out at 1A, but really most aren't getting that max light for very long. Other than me and Eandori I don't know of anyone immeadiately that has used an 8.4V or 9.6V to do that. (That's something to check if eastern is actually getting 1A to the V)

I don't find the video troubling... to me the V is brighter clearly. I don't think I said (I hope not) my P4 wasn't "bright", as subjective as that is. It was bright... just not brighter than a V. Specs promised over 180+ lumens. On that front I was totally disappointed as it clearly was below the V.

I wish I had 3 identical blades because I have all three at my bench. :(

Hasid Lafre
07-23-2008, 07:02 PM
The v has more flare and losses out in teh middel to the end.

Could the angel of the led dome itself play a part when it is inconjunction with the optics?

eastern57
07-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I was gonna say something about "Best kept secrets", but it seems the only thing keeping these gems a secret - is our own stubborness... and I am 100% guilty as charged. I see a definite difference in the rebel and lux v and, coming from xwingband, WILL take it as gospel.

It's been my own personal joke with MHS's that I certainly do not follow the old saying "ain't broke - don't fix it"... now I realize just how much I actually WAS following it...

Thanks, xwing, for posting that... it's more than just proof for me, it's perspective....

:)

edit: p.s. Philly, bumped the shower curtain thread... in misc

LeMoel
07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
never under estimate the Luxeon rebel,i have bought some and tested them, they are bright even if they are lower lumen leds because of the high that the optic sits,plus it does make the blade light up better do to the way the optic works and such.

rebel is always a healthy way to go.. once they hit the US with the PCB's i will probly use them everytime,low cost, low volts

if you want some pictures of the rebel go to my album

xwingband
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
The v has more flare and losses out in teh middel to the end.

Could the angel of the led dome itself play a part when it is inconjunction with the optics?

That is an interesting question...

It would make sense because the small Rebel dome would get more of that light in the sweet spot of the optics.

I will say that we don't notice it but when I use the smaller hex optics I noticed a nice bump in brightness. Why? The optic are smaller than the ID of the blade. Easier to catch the light thrown up the tube. The size does make it hard to mount though... great for 3/4" blades though.

Eandori
07-23-2008, 10:12 PM
The rebel does indeed look brighter! Looks like I'll be buying some myself to try them out. Thanks for posting a comparison Xwing, much appreciated :)

Novastar
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, I bought some P4s about a week ago, and they arrived a day or two ago, so... I'll be trying some of those to replace a green K2. We'll see what happens. Who knows... for all I know, a Rebel WOULD be better, but... I'm not really all THAT clear on what I'd do to mount the optics for now and I don't want to bother quite yet!

However, Eandori--you MIGHT have some of those smaller optics in that "goodies box" I gave you some time ago. I forget most all of what I threw in there for you, but... feel free to play around! :)

Malaki Skywalker
07-24-2008, 02:57 AM
D@mn! Thats insane! Defiantly gunna get some Rebels :cool: Thanks for posting it Xwing! :D