PDA

View Full Version : Pointed blade?

Nightwing
03-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, does anyone know how to make a pointed blade tip, like the ones in ROTS?

http://www.thelightsaber.com/Goofs/ROTS/goof09.jpg

Of course, that picture isn't the best. A better shot would be when Yoda first ignites his saber for his duel scene with Palpatine, but unnfortunately I can't pull my ROTS DVD out at the moment.

I don't mean for it to be quite that pointed, but something a bit more like that than the regular rounded tips.

So, does anyone know how this can be done?

supertrogdor
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
i googled acrylic cone and after rooting around a bit i found this
you might be able to hack off the tip and use some weld-on, or epoxy or somethign to attatch it to the tip of your saber

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=115

scaarmor
03-06-2006, 11:30 AM
The lebret body piercing is a very small spike. It would not work out the way you want. Even if you cut off a small section of the round tip and attached the spike it would not be an even taper & wouldnt look right. I would suggest the good ol' roam the hardware store for ideas method.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Nightwing
03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Hmm...
So where do the regular rounded tips come from?

Devilstar2k2
03-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Maybe you can find a plastic wine bottle stopper, or something similar?

http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/merchantfiles/4873862/wedding%20favors,%20bridal%20shower%20favors,%20ch rome%20bottle%20stopper%20with%20heart%20top,%20gi fts,%20favours,%204643.jpg

scaarmor
03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
The rounded tips are cast. Meaning they start out as a liquid and get poured into a mold, let dry/ harden then pulled out. You could always get it in liquid form, make a mold and cast it pointed. However, acrylic is very brittle. It works for our tips because the rounded surface lets it pass by or "bounce off" most surfaces. But if you directly hit the tip it will shatter. A pointed tip I fear would shatter at the drop of a hat as it tapers to a thin point and also sticks out farther than the rounded style. I could be wrong but in my opinion a pointed tip will only lead to a shattered tip, by inevitably hitting something and breaking off- this is all of coarse refering to an acrylic tip, for someone who wants to use it for moderate to heavy dueling.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Nightwing
03-06-2006, 12:41 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by scaarmor

The rounded tips are cast. Meaning they start out as a liquid and get poured into a mold, let dry/ harden then pulled out. You could always get it in liquid form, make a mold and cast it pointed. However, acrylic is very brittle. It works for our tips because the rounded surface lets it pass by or "bounce off" most surfaces. But if you directly hit the tip it will shatter. A pointed tip I fear would shatter at the drop of a hat as it tapers to a thin point and also sticks out farther than the rounded style. I could be wrong but in my opinion a pointed tip will only lead to a shattered tip, by inevitably hitting something and breaking off- this is all of coarse refering to an acrylic tip, for someone who wants to use it for moderate to heavy dueling.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh. Oh I see.
Well, could I make it out of plastic or something? Why does it have to be acrylic?

scaarmor
03-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I dont see any reason why it "has" to be acrylic. Made of rigid plastic should work just fine. I believe the reason they are of acrylic is because these acrylic half rounds are readily available, easy to find/get, and inexpensive. Tim can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is the reason...

Cain

Strydur
03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
It is..but I have on order custom polyc tips with a shoulder that sets into the blade a tad for an extra strong tip. They should be here in about 2 months.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Nightwing
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

It is..but I have on order custom polyc tips with a shoulder that sets into the blade a tad for an extra strong tip. They should be here in about 2 months.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Wow. That sounds nice.
Maybe you could think about (sometime in the distant future) getting some custom-made cone-shaped tips?

Like this one?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/NightWing726/Lightsabers/BladeTip.png

scaarmor
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
PolyC tips-SWEET!!! I have been hoping for something stronger in the tip ever since I shattered one. PolyC would be perfect-cant wait...Thanks Tim.

Cain

WeirdoTransvestite
03-06-2006, 04:33 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/NightWing726/Lightsabers/BladeTip.png
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lightsabers: Now with -Mom censored-!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
HK-47: Extrapolation: 98% probability the miniature organic's [Jawa] tribe has been captured by the sand people and he wants us to mount a rescue. Revan: What about the other 2%? HK-47: Explanation: 2% probability that the miniature organic meatbag is just looking for trouble and wants us to blast him, although this may just be wishful thinking on my part, master. -Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

xwingband
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Umm, kidies might be reading this. I have seen one used as a hilt though...[?]

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Nightwing
03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

Umm, kidies might be reading this. I have seen one used as a hilt though...[?]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That is truly disgusting.
I was ACTUALLY ASKING A QUESTION. I was NOT LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE A SICK JOKE OUT OF IT!!!

xwingband
03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Cool, thanks for censoring that SaberGirl. I would have if I had mod powers outside of the Q&A.

james3
03-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Thank you Sabergirl, I have used the forums as my boys reading time when he wants and I was sweating it there earlier today.

Nightwing
03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
So anyway...

Is my idea possible?

james3
03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm with you on that Nightwing, when I first saw the pointed saber blades on EPIII I thought: Cool, sabers finally look like sabers! I wouldn't mind having the option so long as it holds up.

Do-Clo
03-06-2006, 10:02 PM
You could probably have some turned on lathe to the design you want but they would a little on the expensiive side to have done. You could have a shoulder machined at the base so that part of it extends into the blade so it does't just glue on the end, this would be like Tim's new blade tip but you could have your own pointed tip.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

xwingband
03-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, being in cast PolyC would probably be best. If you managed to get a scrap piece of solid PolyC it'd be possible to either have it done on a lathe or sanded and polished to shape. Unless you can find a "found" part in the correct shape it would probably be more work than you'd like or be cost efficient.

james3
03-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Yea, I don't know if I need a bulk run of 1000 or so.

Strydur
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
See...James understands how it works[:D]

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

SaberGirl
03-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Hiya guys :) regarding my little censoring earlier...

I don't have a lot of time to keep an eye on every post, so those of you who find something inappropriate, please either email me at tishygirl@comcast.net . or you can MSN messenger me at tanenistormblades@hotmail.com and I'll get to it ASAP...

I think we all slip up and "potty mouth" once in awhile, and I'm not a stickler on it or anything, but there are certain things that I certainly don't want my son reading, and he reads the boards all the time :) So you've all been appointed my offical mod helpers! :)

james3
03-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Yes Ma'am. I'm the last person in the world to criticize someone for letting out a cuss once in while as I was reminded a few months ago when my 4 year old daughter got excited about something and promptly blurted out H#!! YEAH. and of course when asked about it she said Daddy said it during a football game. How quickly our little ones can remind us of our flaws, but typing out in a forum discussion we can all work together to keep it decent.

supertrogdor
03-07-2006, 02:35 PM
As my work takes me into elementary schools on a daily basis, i often find it helps to have some ready substitutes, my closest catch i ended up in a computer lab with 25 1st graders and i ended up spouting off a cuss in Korean, which i explained away as i was meerly commenting that the computer didnt do what i wanted it to... My 3 year old son is just as astute though, and both my wife and i are doing much better at controlling our language outbursts.
As for the tips, bravo on Tim for all his great ideas and to all those who post to spawn them in one form or another to get them all available
CHeers