PDA

View Full Version : interesting project idea...

tullfan81
07-16-2008, 09:17 PM
(edit)
please use the following updated measurements.

1. one hand, single blade 10 inches
2. two hand, single blade 15-16 inches
3. one hand, double blade 10 inches
4. two hand, double blade 15-16 inches

Sorry about the confusion.
Carry on.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm wondering if this will get any traction.

I can't decide what to build for my next saber, so I think I'm going to farm that decision out to the forums.

Unless there is any objections to this what I'd like to do is post a new thread each week where there is a poll to decide the next component.
I'll call the thread "Building by committee" and include whatever that weeks topic is.

I've nailed down some categories:

Hilt Style (Single, Double)
LED color
Blade
Blade Holder
choke
forward grip
rear grip
pommel
pommel insert
internal electronics(drivers, pucks, knick-knacks, doo-dads)

I'm going to start it now with this thread, and if it goes nowhere then it goes nowhere.

Jedi-Loreen
07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
For the single bladed, one-handed saber, is the total length 5-7 inches? If so, you're really gonna need to think about what batteries you're going to use.

The blade holder will be 2", the pommel, another 1", leaving 4", if you keep it to 7". If you use a 4" section, you're going to lose 1/2" on each end to the threads, leaving you only 3" for batteries, a resistor, or a buck puck and switch, you also need to allow for the bottom of the heat sink, for the LED, to hang down into the top of the hilt section.

It won't work with a AAA battery holder, that's for sure.

tullfan81
07-17-2008, 05:25 AM
no, the blade holder and pommel aren't figuring into the overall length. so i guess i should modify the lengths a bit.

Braxus
07-17-2008, 06:05 AM
no, the blade holder and pommel aren't figuring into the overall length. so i guess i should modify the lengths a bit.

in that case i voted to stick with the standard 7 inch hilt size for single bladed saber.

Jedi-Loreen
07-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't really think you want to make a 14 inch two-handed, single bladed saber, either. With the blade holder, and pommel added, that sucker's gonna be 17 inches long! That's huge! http://www.sunriderbase.com/board/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Personally, I prefer to keep my hilts around 11 inches, that's comfortable for me to use either one, or two handed, depending on my mood, or the situation. ;)

Braxus
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't really think you want to make a 14 inch two-handed, single bladed saber, either. With the blade holder, and pommel added, that sucker's gonna be 17 inches long! That's huge! http://www.sunriderbase.com/board/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Personally, I prefer to keep my hilts around 11 inches, that's comfortable for me to use either one, or two handed, depending on my mood, or the situation. ;)

yea i think people are voting thinking that the size is the total size. thats why the second option has soo many votes.

Jedi-Loreen
07-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I haven't voted because I don't feel like he's given the total length of these proposed sabers enough thought and he didn't explain that he was just looking at the hilt section, not the entire saber.