PDA

View Full Version : Flicker algorithms/circuits/other possibilities

Vardarac
07-14-2008, 07:15 AM
The mako-style saber I'm working on at the moment is little more than a very pretty blue string of LEDs. I want this thing to flicker randomly like a real lightsaber. Any suggestions? I was thinking about having it run at 80-85% of the maximum safe current with random increases up to 100%, but I've no idea how to build a circuit that regulates current and supplies extra at random.

Malaki Skywalker
07-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Just use a Corbin driver, ask eastern, hes the LED string main man, and he's used a Corbin driver on a string, it gives you the flicker effect and a load of other bonus's.

Just remember, the forward current is important, if your LED's are say 20mA and the driver puts out 1A, you would be able to go up to 50 in a string.

Hope this helps

Vardarac
07-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks, but I'm trying for a DIY sort of thing here!

Zero Unit
07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Make a semi-loose connection somewhere...I get a random flicker effect on my Ultrasabers Liberator due to that. It never flickers completely off and on, it just dims and then returns to brightness. It's a problem with the springs under the contacts on the battery holder and pommel cap being too soft. It makes an interesting effect, though I think it would be better if it were done using something other than a Lux III, since the Lux III isn't bright enough to make it appealing.

Just an idea. Other than that, I don't think there is a "DIY" way to get a flicker.

Perhaps this might be of some use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFDcdN47V5s

Was posted somewhere else on here.