PDA

View Full Version : This might work.

Melek Taus
07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
If someone could put this on a smaller footprint I think this would work as a sound module.

http://www.roguerobotics.com/products/electronics/ump3

Problem is it's too big to fit in a saber. I think it can be made smaller by eliminating the stero headphone jack and moving some other components around. Anyone know how to design a pcb? I can do simple things but this is too intense for me. The schematic is also available on the website. http://www.roguerobotics.com/files/ump3/documentation/RR-uMP3-110-A1-schem.png

Melek

Novastar
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
There are many of these kinds of things available, all rife with problems for a "saber" kind of prop:

* individually WWAAAAAAYYY too expensive
* no means to capture motion = added cost for you to add--if you even can do so
* sure, they are usually compatible with a PIC, but... a PIC also costs more $$$, and needs to be programmed with some STELLAR firmware.
* As you mentioned, it's pretty darn big
* Limited voltage range--if max is 5v, forget running a Lux V
* Speaking of which, no light driving (duh, it wasn't meant for it)... you'd have to drive it on your own

Ultimately, this is just an mp3 player. Just what it said! :)

BETTER SOLUTION: You could essentially just throw some $30 mp3 player (I have one that is smaller/thinner than a pack of gum) into a saber, plug in/wire a "regular" speaker into the headphone jack, then find some means of being able to hit play/pause/stop or whatever easily.

However, you'd still have nearly all of the above issues--with the exception of the cost, and no SD card.

So... neither of these would work very well. The moral of the story is... if you want a "saber" driver + sound... you need something that was specifically made to be so. Or make it yourself... :)

Melek Taus
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
OK....rain on my parade...now I hate you....j/king :)

What we need is a dedicated engineer...with access to some pbc fab equipment.

I have a friend who is an engineer....not sure if this would be he forte' or not.

Best,
Melek

Novastar
07-13-2008, 02:56 PM
You may be more right than you know... after all:

* Erv made the Plecter Labs "Crystal Focus" board. He's an engineer. It's highly possible more CF could/might be available sometime in September or October. Not sure, but... it's not THAT unthinkable...
* Some other folks are looking into making SOME sort of driver... don't know how or when or if it will happen... but--one of these guys has an electronics engineer buddy.
* Ultra (Alex) of Ultrasabers had a good run with his v1 board... so there IS a v2 being worked upon... it's just taking forever (just like the 1st one did)

So... better be careful whatcha wish for... ;)

Melek Taus
07-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I've missed CF twice now. The first time I just totally forgot about them going on sale...the second time I forgot the time and lucked out. These guys are doing great work...it's just unfortunate that we can't get more in a lot than 30-50 at a time. I need 5 now....LOL....more preferably.

Take care,
Melek