PDA

View Full Version : Converting Luke ESB to Luxeon

Scrap
03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Simple question for y'all. I recently killed about half of the LEDs on my Luke ESB, and I'm not really interested in trying to find a way to restore and/or replace them using the MR "string cheese" method. I haven't had much experience with electronics and soldering, but I was thinking that it can't be too hard to gut the Luke entirely, and take some of the parts from the LED modular hilt system and use them in the Luke hilt.

Specifically, these parts:

LED/Blade holder style 1
2.2ohm Resistor
Luxeon III 3w
10 degree Lens and holder
Switch03
4AAA battery holder

I realize that the stock MRFX sound module would probably not work with the battery pack and voltage limitations of 4 AAA (this isn't too vital), and that successfully disassembling the Luke ESB is a nightmare in itself, but how hard could it possibly be? I'll also be needing to get another blade, as the current one is busted up pretty bad. Is there anything that I'm missing, will everything fit into the hilt properly, and am I getting in over my head? Any input would be appreciated.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-04-2006, 01:49 AM
if the sound is working still and its just the blade lights, then get tims graflex blade holder when he gets them in in a couple weeks. grab a led lens and holder and a blade.

you can use whatever led color he has you want to. and do a convertion. its not that hard. and you'll have a rock solid duelable saber with sound still working and be able to remove the blade too.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Protein5000
03-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Can the graflex blade/led holder be used in a Luke ESB?

Less talk, more action........

Scrap
03-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Protein - That's what I want to know. The ESB is oversized compared to the Anakin ROTS, and I've no idea how it sizes up to an actual Graflex. It would probably be a good idea to measure everything first, no? ;)

Protein5000
03-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah for sure. I'de assume the Graflex kits would not work in the Luke ESB, as they are oversized and I'm sure not the same as a Graflex on the inside - I think we would have been told if it did.

Less talk, more action........

LAN-ED-TUL
03-05-2006, 06:50 AM
since tims gettin them in stock maybe he could answer that for you.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Scrap
03-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Maybe I'll drop Tim an e-mail sometime soon. I know he's a busy guy, so I'd hate to bother him with something like this. Hey, if all else fails, superglue always works to fill in the gaps, right? ;)

Strydur
03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I know what size my holders are..I am just not sure what size the luke ESB is so I am not sure.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop