PDA

View Full Version : Quick Disconnect

_Reaver_
06-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Just curious about the quick disconnects (like the ones sold in the store), does anyone know where those are available in brick and mortar stores? I've been to Frys and Radio Shack, with no luck. Anyone know where to find quick disconnects? Thanks!

Darth_DevilGuy
06-27-2008, 02:58 PM
asking on tim's store's forum where else you can buy one of his products bay not be all that well received.

_Reaver_
06-27-2008, 03:38 PM
lol. Good point. Ordinarily I would purchase them through TCSS, but with the vacation on and me having a saber in pieces, I just thought I'd ask. A very good point, though. My only defense was that I wasn't trying to buy on of Tim's products elsewhere, but just similar disconnects. I know they are sold in various stores, I just couldn't find them. My apologies, Tim, and feel free to shut this thread down... Yes, I feel like a dolt. :oops:

xl97
06-27-2008, 04:59 PM
well do a search.. this HAS been discussed before.. some have found the quick connects to be too big for their projects.. so others offered their solutions..

I find computer mother board connections work well.. but sometimes NOT to secure.. (depends) they have 2, 3, 4 type connectors, very flat and usable..

_Reaver_
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
That's exactly the sort of connector I was looking for, and I thought Fry's would have them for sure, but no dice. Then I thought for sure Radio Shack would have them, but nothing there either. I thought those would be the simplest things to find, too...

xl97
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
not sure about purchasing them.. I just figure most computer geeks got tons of them laying around... form other CD/DVD installs.. new motherboards are where most come from..

they really can be salvaged from almost anything/where

_Reaver_
06-30-2008, 09:28 AM
The problem I find (i have several computers sitting around I could scavenge from) is that while I can often find wired male disconnects, most females are directly on boards. And many of these disconnects are difficult to open once closed on the wire, so removing them is tricky. Someone as to sell just the male/female ends, which we can then just insert our wire, lock them down, and go...

vadeblade
06-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Go to a hobby store. Specifically, find a hobby store that sells high-end RC cars, planes and/or Helicopters. Also consider using bullet plugs. I'll put bullet plugs in the store wish list thread.

Novastar
07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Sometimes I find that "9v snap connectors" (which, btw do not have to be "aligned" with 9v batteries) can work well.

The only problem is that by snapping two connectors together--it visually "reverses" the red and black leads. It's not really a big deal to ME, but I do find that sometimes a "flatter" q/d solution works over the ones Tim sells.

I still use both though. Each with its own purpose. :)

Jay-gon Jinn
07-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I recently bought a bunch of these:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SBC-1/SMALL-BATTERY-CONNECTOR-WHITE/-/1.html

and these to go with them:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SBH-1/HEADER-FOR-SMALL-BATTERY-CON-2MM-SPACING-WHITE/-/1.html

They work well in tight spaces.

xwingband
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
These are a very good standard too:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CON-230S/2-CONDUCTOR-CONNECTOR-FEMALE/-/1.html

Obviously you'd need the male one to go with it.

Novastar
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Jay Gonn, those are GREAT. Basically the ones seen on computer boards and even the (drumroll please) MRs... ah, I love allelectronics. :)

X, those are pretty big, I use them on my chargers (to swap charger heads for differing sabers), but they eat up precious real-estate in sabers...

BhujangiJedi
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I see this "shhhh don't talk about buying things elsewhere" stuff on the forum from time to time, but never from Tim.

I think a certain level of common sense and respect for Tim is reasonable, but if people need other things, they will find them. And if they keep silent about it on the boards, how will Tim ever know what people are buying? I know there's the wishlist thread, but it's also worthwhile for people to discuss all of their saber needs openly, so we can share with eachother the best options for saber building. The more saber-building that's going on, the more buying of Tim's parts there will be. And if there is frequent need for components not offered by Tim, then he can look into supplying them. And if can't or doesn't want to supply them, that's fine - there's still plenty of demand for the stuff he does supply. Accessories purchased elsewhere can actually increase the level of satisfaction and thus demand for the parts Tim sells.

Novastar
07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree with Bhuang... besides--there are MANY parts that I use that I would NEVER expect Tim to stock just because big dumb ol' Nova-bear here... :)

I mean, I use some WEIRD things sometimes in making my Flange III sabers... parts off of CHAMPAGNE bottles... special indicator LEDs... little POTs to control motors... odd knick-knacks from a belt... weird rubber things cut out of a square of material... bizarre and non-uniform rubber "O-ring-like" parts that aren't O-rings (more like gaskets)... sink drain filters (!!)... toilet ball gaskets (WTF?!?!?)... and not to mention the more expensive, larger and high-end Li-Ion cells (18650) plus a bunch of weird speaker samples in 36mm and 45mm.

Now... I ask you... HOW THE BLOODY FUNK SHOULD I EXPECT TIM to carry all of THAT garbage?!!

I mean sure, I have some "all TCSS / MHS" sabers... but... come on!

xl97
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Id say its impossible.. I mean common sense is just that.... if he sells that particular part or a variant of that part.. DONT STEAL THE SALE!.. I mean unless out of stock with NO ETA IN SIGHT.. then maybe PM someone about an alternate source.. not in public..

if its something Tims doesnt even carry.. or proabbly wont.. whats the big deal? I think see as on of the strengths and reason why we formed a community.. the TCSS collective brain trust is nice to have around when stumped.. and it shouldnt be under-estimated.

That being said.. from what Ive seen as my short time as a member here... Tim listens to his customers.. period.

I mean he doesnt cater to everyones little whim.. but when a majority speaks or someone mentions a good idea/product.... He pretty much either makes it happen, creates a variant or finds an alternative.

I mean he sells COrbin driver boards.. doesnt stop people form talking about Plecter labs or their dimmer from time to time...

I think (as with everything) things that are done in in good taste and with good intention are a no brainer..

I see things like this as more of a 'advice' of 'feedback' from builders..

not saying you can same same part at this place 'cheaper'...etc..etc

:)

Novastar
07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Yup, Tim has better things to do rather than police every little thread like some kind of Gestapo Vader 501st Nazi or whatever, heheh...

But going back to quick disconnects... it seems to me that there are different kinds for different situations. No one better than the other. I love using the "9v snaps" for certain things, but I love Tim's for other things like switches.

Great to have options though! That's the thing that makes the "impossible" possible with sabers. Just when I think "there's no more room in this saber"... suddenly someone suggest MICRO-resistors for indicator LEDs (thanks Erv!!), or smaller quick-disconnects... or some new battery cell shows up that is a better fit, etc. :) Good stuff.