PDA

View Full Version : Smaller recharge port?

NeptuneTQ
06-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Is it possible to use say a standard 3.5mm or even 2.5mm headphone jack as a recharge port? is there such a thing? I'm looking for small port that might fit in a covertec for example.

xwingband
06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
yeah, for NiMH those are fine. I would not do it with li-ion because it creates a momentary spark.

BlackDOG
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I fit the recharge port sold here in the store in a drilled out covertec...the biggest problem was getting the covertec secured to the hilt. My initial thought was to utilize the threads and nut from the recharge port to hold the covertec on.......WRONG.......first, the threads arent long enough and the body of the recharge port really isn't sound enough to carry the load (even in shear) of the covertec. Second, I had the idea of threading the INSIDE of the covertec and screwing it on......WRONG...I was not thinking of the concave backside of the machined button......it also gets kinda dicey in the hilt with the length of the recharge port and the ID of the MHS.......SO.....

EPOXY

I used hi-strength metal epoxy from Lowes to bond the covertec button to the outside of the hilt and epoxy putty to secure the port inside the hilt....it is less than ***y looking on the inside, but the port works and so does the clip.

Here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Birdlaw/Sabers/DSC00276.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Birdlaw/Sabers/DSC00277.jpg

I am really happy with the port being inside the covertec......I had to trim the insulation off the charger plug to allow the plug to slide in far enough.....but it makes for a clean look outside!

HTH.

bd

Hasid Lafre
06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
See iam thinking a 2 piece clip, one piece wiht the curved part that fits to the hilt then you screw on a nother piece to secure it to the recharge port and to the hilt like the nut does.

But after seeing my brothers recharge port on his saber I wouldent trust it at all to placing any load on the recharge port, What had happened was the recharge port actually broke off in teh hilt and left the nut and that part its bolted to.

NeptuneTQ
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
hmmm... was trying to find a more graceful way of mounting the recharge port instead of in the speaker grill ^_^ thanx for the advice guys, I'm thinking that a seperate port on the side or something is still the best way for me to go

Lord Maul
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
See iam thinking a 2 piece clip, one piece wiht the curved part that fits to the hilt then you screw on a nother piece to secure it to the recharge port and to the hilt like the nut does.

Corbin made that. He said that it was too time consuming to produce and as such would cost a snitzload