PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Did I ruin the LED?

Sol Nexus
06-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I soldered the wires onto my Lux III and as I was putting the star on the heatsink the positive soldering tab came off. The LED still works by touching the wire to another positive tab, but will the blade holder screw on correctly?

Strydur
06-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Modify the optic mount so it will fit.

Sol Nexus
06-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the advise. It fit pretty good. Now just have to get the adapter done and the saber will be complete.

Jedi-Loreen
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, why did you solder your wires before you put the star onto the heat sink? I always mount the star to the heat sink first. I am usually putting a quick connect on it, so I don't have a choice, anyway. I also like the idea of the heat sink carrying the extra heat away from the star, even when you are just soldering. ;)

Also, don't put too much heat on those solder pads when you are soldering the wires onto the star, that can damage them and cause them to lift up.

The way I do it is to quickly flow a little more solder onto the pads, then I tin my wires, feed them through the holes in the heat sink and put a bend in them, so they seat flush onto the pads.

Then hold the wire against the pad, reflow the solder on it with the iron, the wire sinks right into that, and I hold the wire till the solder cools and hardens. This makes very nice, shiny and smooth solder joints.

If you are trying to add solder while you are putting the wire on, you will be holding the iron on the pad for too long, possibly damaging it.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I like the idea that someone posted, (I think it was Vortex,) of sticking a toothpick in the hole where the wire comes through to hold the wire in place while you solder. I've done it with several LEDs since, and it works great.

LAN-ED-TUL
06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
like JL, i do it the way she described. it works soo much better that way.

Sol Nexus
06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely try to do it like JL suggested for my next LED. And to answer her question, I don't know. This has been my first LED saber, and didn't realize that I should've put the star on the heatsink then the wires in the holes before soldering everything. At least I got lucky this time and didn't ruin the star. But man, this LED is NICE!!! I've seen people complain about the Amber LED and how its not bright enough but I just love it.

Count Malik
06-24-2008, 10:36 AM
:p
Just out of curiosity, why did you solder your wires before you put the star onto the heat sink? I always mount the star to the heat sink first. I am usually putting a quick connect on it, so I don't have a choice, anyway. I also like the idea of the heat sink carrying the extra heat away from the star, even when you are just soldering. ;)

Also, don't put too much heat on those solder pads when you are soldering the wires onto the star, that can damage them and cause them to lift up.

The way I do it is to quickly flow a little more solder onto the pads, then I tin my wires, feed them through the holes in the heat sink and put a bend in them, so they seat flush onto the pads.

Then hold the wire against the pad, reflow the solder on it with the iron, the wire sinks right into that, and I hold the wire till the solder cools and hardens. This makes very nice, shiny and smooth solder joints.

If you are trying to add solder while you are putting the wire on, you will be holding the iron on the pad for too long, possibly damaging it.

I'm gunna try that. Too. Thanks!