PDA

View Full Version : Muchofthesame

Ennarion
06-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forums and had a quick question as to qualifying myself for something like this. Realistically, if I know nothing about crafting sabers, with the tools, parts and resources available on this site, can I learn to craft my own lightsaber within a month or so? I should also mention that I do weave chainmail armor, a lot! and have the tools readily available for that sort of thing as well. Also, about how much does a saber usually cost someone, if they bought everything from here...Thanks! and Awesome Site btw!

Darth Leximus
06-19-2008, 09:26 AM
The answer is yes you absolutely can learn what you need to know here, and if you throw in a chain mail shirt I'll personally teach you! LOL

My suggestion is to spend sometime(like a good week or so) just browsing and reading the forums because literally every question has been asked and answered somewhere in here.

If you do have any questions and you really can't find an answer to them just ask and someone will help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

As for price, that can vary wildly. If you go with the MHS system and simple electronics you could get by for about $150. there are cheaper ways like using sink tube instead of MHS hilt parts and then on the more pricey end you can order custom machining and custom parts made specifically to your design and that can certainly add up!

3 words of advice
Plan...plan...plan!

It'll save you money and frustration.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Flyerfye
06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey, welcome to the forums. I learned everything I needed to know to make a basic saber with sound within a week or two of joining, without even asking a single question! Just explore the forums and read as much as you can! (People tend to get a little bothered when you ask something that's been answered a few dozen times before elsewhere on the forums. ;))

As for price, make yourself a shopping cart full of parts and see how much it'll cost ya! My first very simple MHS ended up at about $170, all things considered. Could go a lot higher with more special parts, etc. Good luck and happy sabering!

NeptuneTQ
06-19-2008, 09:42 AM
i had no crafting experience either when I started looking around this site, although I lurked around for about 3 months before I decided to take the plunge myself :) Since then, I've purchased a dremel, drill press stand, soldering irons and countless files and sandpaper to build my own :)

You could probably put together a simple working lightsaber within a week, especially if you have experience with tools and chainmail :) Everyone here is very supportive and i've found an answer to almost every question i had while I was building through these forums. Also, Tim is the MAN at custom parts! anything you want built that you don't see, send it to him and he'll be able to make a part :)

xl97
06-19-2008, 09:47 AM
the cost depends on the style and parts you choose..

plan accordingly.. use PAINT or the Saber builder to build your hilt before purchase to explore ideas, how parts look together, size requirements, length...etc

electronics and pwer requirements, foward volts, and batt. packs output..etc was a pain for me.. and the resistor chart in the store will help with alot.

I would also check out the gallery section, to get some ideas.. you can do alot with a litle money (and some time and creativity)..

Sabers from Jay-Gon-Jin and Obi-Dar are perfect examples of this IMHO..

understanding led DRIVER boards and SOND board is also tricky sometimes..as they each hve their own unique requiements and set-up rules.

Retribution
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Heya man. I'm about as new to this forum as you are (you registered about 2-3 hours after me XD) and I'm pretty confident I know what I need to buy an awesome hilt. The only thing i'm still struggling with is voltage, etc for the power. But i'm confident I can figure taht out sooner or later. As everyone here has said plan plan plan. It will greatly help.

Also, I recommend using THIS TOOL (http://dmstudios.net/demos/saberBuilder) to design your hilt, it has most of the parts from the store and will show you what it would look like and rough measurements of the size etc.

Lastly, set some money aside each time you get paid (assuming you work, dunno how old you are or anything) as you go and by the time you've got it figured out and everything, you should be set for cash.

xl97
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
also..the 'tool' you mentioned... should be getting a (what I consider) a huge update today..

;)

Retribution
06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh sweet. I'll be keeping an eye on that. XD.

Ennarion
06-19-2008, 01:18 PM
wow, thanks all, very encouraging. As of now I'm dead broke, but as soon as I can get the money I'll definitely be crafting my first saber, unless i can find someone willing to trade one for chainmail armor, but we'll see. Anyways, in the mean time ill research the site. peace

Darth Leximus
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't have any sabers to part with at the moment, but I would love to see some of your work if you have pictures you can post.

What do you make it for and where do you sell it?

xl97
06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
the I.S.B. has been updated:

http://dmstudios.net/demos/saberBuilder/

....fyi

:)

Ennarion
06-19-2008, 02:56 PM
right on, here's a couple pics of a coif I made about a year ago. I have a couple pieces floating around in LA as a part of the UCLA costume department as well and I could see if I can get a few pics from that, though they're technically scale mail and not chain....anyways lemme know what you think, from one craftsman to another. Thanks

Darth Leximus
06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
wow man! awesome work! I could never have the patience to do something like that, but I'm a huge fan of that period of history and would love to own some real armor someday.

If you can find the pics of that scale mail I'd love to see em and we may have to discuss getting some stuff made if your up for it. (and I can afford it!)

Somehow I think you will become a great sabersmith seeing as alot of the inner workings are small tedious endeavors.