PDA

View Full Version : Resistor Clarification/Help

xl97
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I have a few set-ups.. I might do a few of them with BuckPucks as they are give stable output better than a plain resistored set-up..

but I just want to make sure I have the basic down right..and dont plan anything off of faulty knowledge.

(so please bear with a newb here) ;)

Im unclear of the difference between a 4 AAA pack and a 4 AA pack? (bseides size of course).. are they both 6v? and the AA's will just run longer?

if I run a 4 AAA batt. pack
(resistored)

I would need:

a 2.2 Ohm 5 Watt resistor for any Lux III's?

a 1.5 Ohm 5 Watt resistor to run a K2

and nothing to run a LuxV... correct?

If I am going to use one of the re-chargable NiHM batt. packs sold in the store

I would need:

a 1 Ohm 2 Watt resistor to run a LuxIII

a 1 Ohm 5 Watt resistor to run a K2

and nothing to run a LuxV... (as both of these choices so far dont meet or exceed the Forward voltage of the LED requirements...yes?)

Now if I add a Hasbro sound card in the mix to either a 4xAAA pack or a the 4.8 NiHM re-chargable packs.... how do things change?

I would NOT be using the Hasbro to drive the LED obviously... but would the 4xAAA pack burn up the Hasbro? How about if I went 4xAA?

If I remember the Hasbro boards cant have more than 5v to them? (or was it 6?) so the NiHM pack should be safe...

Do I have any of this right so far? LOL

Also.. if i wanted to add accent LED's to this mix above? anything I need to know?

each LED needs to be resistored...

the back of the package of accent LED's I buy should tell me info I need, to get the right/correct resistor? (hopefully?) LOL

if I decide to go buckpuck at anytime.. I just change out the MAIN resistor I have going to the LED......and things should fine.

lastly..

ive read about some members running more than 1 buckpucks in parallel to overdrive their LED's..

are these because they are RED's or K2's or somethign and can handle the extra juice added to make the LED brighter?

or is 1 1000 buck good enough for a LuxIII?

thanks

Strydur
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
I think you ran over your question limit.:p

.. are they both 6v? and the AA's will just run longer? Correct

if I run a 4 AAA batt. pack
(resistored)

I would need:

a 2.2 Ohm 5 Watt resistor for any Lux III's? Correct

a 1.5 Ohm 5 Watt resistor to run a K2 Correct

and nothing to run a LuxV... correct? 6v wont run a luxV

If I am going to use one of the re-chargable NiHM batt. packs sold in the store The 4.8 or 7.2 pack?

I would need:

a 1 Ohm 2 Watt resistor to run a LuxIII Correct for 4.8 pack

a 1 Ohm 5 Watt resistor to run a K2 Correct for 4.8 pack

and nothing to run a LuxV... (as both of these choices so far dont meet or exceed the Forward voltage of the LED requirements...yes?) 4.8 pack wont work but you can use a 7.2 pack and a 1 ohm 2 watt resistor

Not sure on the Hasbro stuff but the info should be on the forums someplace.

Also.. if i wanted to add accent LED's to this mix above? anything I need to know?

each LED needs to be resistored... Correct or one resistor and wire them in series

the back of the package of accent LED's I buy should tell me info I need, to get the right/correct resistor? (hopefully?) LOL Correct

if I decide to go buckpuck at anytime.. I just change out the MAIN resistor I have going to the LED......and things should fine. Basically

lastly..

ive read about some members running more than 1 buckpucks in parallel to overdrive their LED's..

are these because they are RED's or K2's or somethign and can handle the extra juice added to make the LED brighter? It is because the buckpucks only come in 700 or 1000 and reds can handle 1400 so people combine 2 700's to make a 1400.

or is 1 1000 buck good enough for a LuxIII? Perfect for a Lux 3 yes.

xl97
06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Thank you.. very direct answers.. (I tried to research alittle to show I was trying) :)

Just needed some to verify for me.. :)

on a side note.. I just emailed you (twice actually) with two errors 1 form forum.. 1 with screen shot from the store front..

anywho-

sorry yes, I meant the 4.8 NiHM packs..

for this:

"each LED needs to be resistored... Correct or one resistor and wire them in series"

would I have to change/miltiply the resitor needed by howev many LEDs I have in the string/parellel?

I see LuxIII's have 1000 Target mA reading.. so if you add MORE (say 2 x 700 pucks) what happens? wasted? burns out? kills/halves the life of the LED? (which is many, many hours anyways)

and I see doing 2 x pucks for a LuxV would be slightly under powering it? (target mA is 1500) do you notice that extra missing 100 mA? in something liek this?

thanks

Strydur
06-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Lux V are 1400 I believe. K2's are 1500 and no you porbably wouldnt notice the difference.

Overpowering the LED will shorten its lifespan or worse.

xwingband
06-12-2008, 01:02 PM
V's are 700mA. Most go to 1000mA which is overdriving but tested enough that it's reasonable.

Darth Leximus
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
about the hasbro board. If you are not using it to drive the led than you can just hook up the +/_ straight to your battery and it will be fine. They can handle up to 6v before cooking. Don't know if that will shorten the lifespan of the board but at $20 full price who cares!

Strydur
06-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I cant even read my own chart:confused:

Yes lux v are 700
most 3's are 1000
red/red-or/amber lux 3 are 1400