PDA

View Full Version : Can I send my parts in to be Powder coated???

1BADJOE
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I bought parts for my second saber about 2 months ago...The parts have been sitting in the box waiting for me to start. Could I ship them back to be power coated or can you only get that done like right when they are ordered?

THANKS-
Joe

xwingband
06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with that. e-mail to ask and get shipping details.

Halowinter91
09-25-2008, 05:50 PM
How about when I order the parts. Will they coat them then?
I'm sure they would right? Just wanna make sure.
Also, when you order the power coat, do you have to pay for each piece, or is it all together?

Donnovan Sunrider
09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, you can definitely order the coat when you order the parts. Be sure to give Tim detailed explanations of what you're wanting done.

The cost is per each piece. Plus if you have anything done to the pieces like routing out ridges so they're silver that's another cost.

xwingband
09-25-2008, 06:47 PM
In the powder coat description is say it's by part. It seems silly if it's a smaller part but Tim has to change out the colors and it's ust plain easier to charge a flat fee.

Strydur
09-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I am basically charging for the time involved. Powder coating a screw or hilt section takes the same time if not more as its a pain to handle the smaller parts.

chase
09-27-2008, 01:27 PM
What about things that are NOT lightsabers....say PVC sentra armor?

Winter Moonshadow
09-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only powder coat metal items. The coating starts as a powder and is baked onto the parts. I don't think PVC will stand up to the heat.

Strydur
09-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Has to be able to withstand 400 degress

chase
10-03-2008, 02:12 PM
PVC will NOT work. Thanks anyways.

Defectuous
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Has to be able to withstand 400 degress

Aluminum Trooper Armor * insert evil grin * that would be interesting thing to play with.

Would make good general armor ( those found in the cartoon series, but not full trooper armor )

Eco
06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
What if I want to powdercoat the entire saber in one color. Can the whole saber be counted as one piece?

Strydur
06-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Nope..

Alcfalath
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
What if I want to powdercoat the entire saber in one color. Can the whole saber be counted as one piece?

Only if you dont ever want to unscrew the sections again, as they will be baked as one piece if you only want one charge...

For example, pommel insert and pommel being the same colour are 2 PC orders, but if you dont want them to ever come apart again, then just the 1...

Besides, if you are already willing to PC your saber, why not spend the extra... Turns a good saber into a great one...

Dex Antares
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I recently purchased a custom saber from my resident prop maker. He did a great job re-creating an old hardware saber I was fond of. The original grips were simple electrical tape, and the emitter shroud was grey PVC. I wanted him to simulate those with the new version, so he just used auto primer and paint on aluminum. Still, we both knew that would eventually wear off. Would it be possible to have duplicate pieces made, and send them in for powder coating? They're pretty simple pieces, so I don't think there would be any difficulties.

Matt Thorn
06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Only if you dont ever want to unscrew the sections again, as they will be baked as one piece if you only want one charge...

For example, pommel insert and pommel being the same colour are 2 PC orders, but if you dont want them to ever come apart again, then just the 1...

Besides, if you are already willing to PC your saber, why not spend the extra... Turns a good saber into a great one...
I was actually stupid enough to do this once. I thought I would save myself the trouble of masking the threads by screwing together pieces that were not intended to be screwed together in the final hilt. I thought I could just run a razor along the seam and unscrew them. No such luck. I had to completely strip the PC and do the pieces over again separately. :rolleyes: