PDA

View Full Version : Getting more mah to a MR converted saber

vortextwist
06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I have a converted luke ROTJ. My problem is I'm really unhappy with the power it provides to the led (after haveing a CF). It got me thinking about putting a 700 mah buckpuck in there and running them parallel with the board. Then I got to looking at the requirments and it needs a min of 5v. How much of a pain in the butt is this goin to be with out compromising the stock setup?

Novastar
06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Vortex... you might consider just using an LED that is "happier" at 1A or even 700ma or so.

If you're using an LED that is happiest (max cont. current) at 1500ma... you may not be getting the full benefit.

HOWEVER... not all LEDs are created equal. Some colors/bins of those colors... just... don't show up really "nicely" to our eyes. Even WITH a super great diffuser.

I can tell you this from experience. Some LEDs I have used look INSANELY bright... while others that should be similar--don't.

Another example: I sold a Red-Orange saber that was Vader FX driven to someone... and THAT red-O LED was much better than the one in my Flange III saber. I don't know *WHY*, but it was. I never did determine the bins. And also... the Vader FX was only driving at around 900ma to 1A... whereas I had CF running it at 1500ma. So, it just shows that it was an LED that had "more visuals" of the light spectrum present vs. the other.

Anyhow... hope it helps.

vortextwist
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I know what your trying to say nova, right now I have a 1 watt red in there. I have tried a couple diff leds, cyan,green, k2 green, 1watt red. I thought it might be something to try.