PDA

View Full Version : Fencing

Madcow
02-28-2006, 02:17 PM
I've been taking an intro level fencing course lately. I think it would be fun to try fencing with lightsabers... I mean, same rules etc. It's crazy how the techniqe allows you to open and close distance so fast.

Has anyone tried this? I would but I have no one to play with.

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg
You want to go home and re-think your life

bazuka
02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I've been thinking of trying the same thing, but I don't nearly have the bravery to do it and be made fun of by my wife.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.

Pirate King
02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
I fence, it totally kicks ass. I don't see how you can build a lightsaber then worry about being made fun of for fencing.

{<font color="black">[[[</font id="black">(((<font color="red">o</font id="red">))<font color="gold">EE</font id="gold">[/<font color="blue">==============</font id="blue">

Madcow
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Do what I did...

I convinced my wife to join fencing class with me - as "something we can do together..."

Worked!

Plus, my wife rocks.

MC

987654321a
02-28-2006, 06:36 PM
lol i kinda dont like fencing [:p]

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

Nightwing
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
I wanna learn Kendo...

Fencing sounds cool, though.

GFORCE13
03-01-2006, 02:02 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I fence, it totally kicks ass. I don't see how you can build a lightsaber then worry about being made fun of for fencing.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I agree took a formal class for 3 months last year and it totally rocks!!!!!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I wanna learn Kendo...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Me Too and have been looking locally since I play with Shanai with my Ren Faire group and already have had some practice with it.[:D]

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

GrimaOllak
03-01-2006, 08:04 AM
I took fencing for about 6-8 months, and it was very cool. Great workout, improved reaction skills... lots of bruises...

I still have all my gear, so maybe I'll start doing it again. I just got lazy for a while.

As for lightsaber fencing... I dunno, guys. Getting poked with a foil hurts enough. I don't even want to imagine the pain of getting rammed in the chest with a polycarbonate rod.

Matt
03-01-2006, 08:28 AM
i don't have the bravery to fench at all.

We had a kid at my high school last year get killed.

He got thrust into the chest and the tip broke off and then cuase it was a thrust it went into his chest.

I knew the kid that did it. He can't even watch sword fighting movies anymore, like troy or lord of the rings.

just a bad deal, i had wanted to start fenching, but my future wife would have none of it, can't really say i blame her

archammer2
03-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Matt: I've heard that from a couple other people. I feel bad for the kids, both of them...

Perosnally, I've always wanted to learn Kendo. I have a book on it, but lack anyone to do it with me (encoragement, etc). For now, I'll stick with freestyle. :P

Mur-Pa DiLos
03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I have two mhs lightsabers that I fight with outside in the actual kenjutsu fashion. I don't fight with the stricter rules of kendo, but just duke it out! It is really awesome, I live on campus and the first time my friend and I did this people were all gathered around watching because it was at night![:D]

supertrogdor
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
a little free dueling would defniatly be a grand party, i need to get a geek (or several) in my neck of the woods willing to exchange a few bruises

Madcow
03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
We should all win the lottery, then plan a big bash up here in Canada, where we could show off our lightsabers and fight all night.
And drink really good coffee!

MC

GFORCE13
03-03-2006, 05:23 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> We should all win the lottery, then plan a big bash up here in Canada, where we could show off our lightsabers and fight all night.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> So True I would be there in a HeartBeat, to take off to the Great White north for a Week.[:)] I unfortunatly am in the same situation, I have 4 Sabers now to duel with but nobody out here to duel with, I am in the Los Angeles Area(CA.)

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Jedi Master Hanh Plaenus
04-13-2006, 06:41 PM
what part of LA are you in? Anywhere near Santa Clarita?

Mor-El Kesav
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM
The Lightsaber form as designed by the Swordmaster Nick Gillard stated that the form was a mix of fencing, Kendo, wood chopping, baseball, tennis, and few other things all mixed up. He stated that it had to do with the fact that a lightsaber would cut from any angle and not just on one edge. At least that what I got off of the "Making of" segments from the Episode I, II, and III DVDs.

I believe that we have a resident Lightsaber instructor. That would be Zhi-don the Headmaster of the Lightsaber Training Class - Orange County Star Wars Society. His profile is located here http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=781. I can't speak for him but perhaps he would be willing to help you set a satellite academy in your area or perhaps give you some pointers. What have you go to lose by asking him?

Destroy the Sith we must!
Yoda

Mi Gin Gonn
04-13-2006, 07:18 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

We should all win the lottery, then plan a big bash up here in Canada, where we could show off our lightsabers and fight all night.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i suggested this idea earlier. too bad we're scattered all over the place & not rich. otherwise, we could fly to one central location & have a big 'olde saber tournament & geek convention. oh, and screw coffee, i'm a beer-drinkin' American. BLAME CANADA!, lol. (just kiddin' with ya there, I love you hosers). beer. mmmm. breakfast of champions and curer of all ills. anything from anxiety attacks to social awkwardness, there's nothing that a sixer can't handle.

"Loyal minions, ATTACK!"
"uhh, who?"
"You, you idiots! You're our loyal minions! SO START ATTACKING!"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"

Madcow
04-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I hear ya...

But once you've had one of my coffees... forever addicted bro!

MC

Devilstar2k2
04-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm a coffee fan too... And just look at it this way - While he's drunk and sloppy, you'll be alert and wired. Wonder who would win, hmmmm?

Coffee > Beer [:D][:D][:D]

Zhi-don
04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
We have two Lightsaber Training Classes in Orange County, California. One meets on Wednesday nights from 630pm to 900pm and other on Sundays from 2pm until 5pm. If anyone has any questions or wants to join one of these classes, let me know.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base
Treasurer/Head Instructor
Lightsaber training OCSWS

tazrob
04-21-2006, 06:44 AM
isn't dooku's style a small part fencing? I remember in some article that was the reason given for the shape of his saber, I could be wrong though

Devilstar2k2
04-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Dooku does use more of a fencing style - Form II: Makashi

Jedi Master Hanh Plaenus
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
I am definitely not a stranger to combat arts. I've a studied few different styles, a little bit of escrima (Filipino Stickfighting) and a friend showed me some Kendo. There is a fencing school in my area, and my brother and I love to spar on a regular basis.

Zhi-don, out of curious where does your exprience come from. Did you train in anything?

naashar
04-21-2006, 01:10 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mi Gin Gonn

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

i suggested this idea earlier. too bad we're scattered all over the place & not rich. otherwise, we could fly to one central location & have a big 'olde saber tournament & geek convention. oh, and screw coffee, i'm a beer-drinkin' American. BLAME CANADA!, lol. (just kiddin' with ya there, I love you hosers). beer. mmmm. breakfast of champions and curer of all ills. anything from anxiety attacks to social awkwardness, there's nothing that a sixer can't handle.

"Loyal minions, ATTACK!"
"uhh, who?"
"You, you idiots! You're our loyal minions! SO START ATTACKING!"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"

Lol@ the Blame Canada reference.."They're not even a real country anywayyyyy!"

Also JUST KIDDING...I had the profound pleasure of completing a Great Lakes Cruise, back in my sailin' days. Stopovers in Quebec (pronounced KAY-beck) and Montreal. There was nothing like the Gentlemen's Clubs (TOP FLIGHT, BABY!!), or going to McD's, having the (gorgeous) counter jocky ask me for my order in French, register my confusion, then seamlessly switching to English...

...of course, mon chere, I'll have fries with that. [:D]

You don't need to see any identification.