PDA

View Full Version : Novastar's Compendium

BlackDOG
06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I just got my Novastar Compedium...

I hope veryone relaizes how much work went into this and how helpful this will be to those of us that don't want to look like escapees from he Home For Rehabilitation of Wounded Baby Giraffes when we wield a lightsaber. I have seen some stuff on the internet that could have been cool and classy, but in the end looked like eight year olds playing power ranger.....

While these swords aren't edged, the combat can be staged in a way that is both asthetically pleasing and entertaining, while being technically sound.

It is one thing to build a saber and wave it around in the living room or at a movie opening. It is something altogether different to use it in a way that brings credit to the time YOU spent in building it, the collective knowledge of ALL OF US, and to your enthusiasm for something that makes vitrually everyone SMILE.

Novasatr, we are in your debt......thank you for spending the time on this. let see...$38.11 divided by 1.67 x 10 to the eight power hours....thats like less that a millionth of a dollar per hour............

BLESS YOU MY FRIEND.

bd

SWAT Strachan
06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Aww no fair, I got order #1 in first and at this rate I'll be the last to actually get it :mrgreen:. I am looking forward to it though, my saber spins need a lot of work so I'm hoping the videos will give me something to follow.

eastern57
06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
guess what came in the mail today?

My next three weekends...

Thank you, novastar... and damn you...

sekrogue1985
06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
dude i just ordered mine and am already planning out some fonts and what not.

Novastar
06-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Thank you, novastar... and damn you...Damn me??! ;) lol...

Well, all I can say is... you can return the favor by posting VIDEO and/or reviews and comments about the fonts you thought were cool, funny, excellent, not so good, etc.

Not to mention... now all who have ordered can see the "250 Battle"... and start to see "the system" (in a basic sense) of what I use to create choreography. You'll find that it is a lot easier than it seems, and mostly... is all about ORGANIZING moves into a coherent way to WRITE and therefore remember them.

In fact, if anyone watches that video of myself and Dani demonstrating the basics... they can see how easily you can throw together "ragtag" choreo and make it relatively believable... without the hocus pocus of film, 2nd takes and camera angles.

Anyhow... I'm eagerly looking forward to folks out there enjoying all the files, tutorials, experimenting with sounds and so forth... :)

BlackDOG
06-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Yeah...I am feeling that.....

Overheard at neighbor's house.......

N1- "What on earth is that flashing light over there?

N2- "Oh thats just my neighbor the Jedi...practicing with his lightsaber."

N1- "Lightsaber?"

N2- "Yeah, he's getting much better...."

N1- "Oh, the lithium meds must be working!"

N2- "No he actually can do that spin and thrust combo without hitting himself in the head...."

N1- "Have you ever considered moving?"

bd

Mad Hatter
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Got mine today. Thanks NS. :)

One question: is it okay to store unused files on the CF memory card in a separate folder?

1GB is a lot of space. It would be nice to get everything configured and on the card, and then just swap out folders in the root directory to change sounds.

SWAT Strachan
06-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Aha! Mine arrived today, signed and personalised... sort of... Nova... who the hell is SWAT Stratchan? :mrgreen:. I've seen quite a few interpretations of my surname over the years, and you should be proud to know that I haven't seen that one before. Congratulations :mrgreen:.

xwingband
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Dang it... you got yours in the UK?!?! Where's mine? I figured I'd at least get it before people across the pond.

Novastar
06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
It's odd Michael... I mean, seriously it's ALL sorts of weird with this so far...

Some people got the CD almost the very next day... (U.S.)
Some people got the CD yesterday, so about 4 days... (U.S.)
Some people got the CD Wednesday/Thursday in the UNITED KINGDOM!!

...others in the U.S. -- haven't yet received.

But... they were all sent out together--at least the first 40 or 50 or whatever.

Weird. All sorts of wack.

------------------------------
NOTE: IF ANYONE DOES NOT RECEIVE WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, PM, OR WHAT NOT. I'll get it resolved.
------------------------------

jpbeck
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I got mine too-- that 550 (or whatever it's called) is great. I also thought the sound mixing video was very helpful--- at least I know how to use Goldwave-- enough to play the sounds. Does anyone know how to keep that stupid advertisement from popping up with every new font played? I don't think I'll be mixing my own though. I'll be cool to mix and match the saber fonts though-- I never like EP IV's force mind trick-- now I klnow enough to just stick something else in it's place.

Anyways-- I think the CD was money well spent-- I love the personalization!

Explosives Jedi Master-- that's funny-- but I only made Senor-- I wasn't brave enough to go for longer than 7 years. :)

Thanks Matt!
Joe

xwingband
06-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Ooo... got it. My signed personal edition. (#10 suckers! :P )

I liked the stage combat tutorial. It's like what I've heard before and maybe I can use it to get others interested in doing something with me.

Still have to look at fonts, but I've got to seal up a saber.

Novastar
06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
(re: ) Goldwave-- ... ... Does anyone know how to keep that stupid advertisement from popping up with every new font played?I use an older version that doesn't do that... so... don't know about the new versions. The version I used to show the demo is/was: v5.17.

I don't think I'll be mixing my own though. I'll be cool to mix and match the saber fonts though-- I never like EP IV's force mind trick-- now I know enough to just stick something else in it's place.Exactly. This is just one of the many things you could do with the CD. At an "uber-intense" level, people can mix their own... and on a basic level... they can pull from the "unmixed" folder, throw the correct hum (per the font) at it, then toss 'er into the sound wanted. Voila, you can tweak what you "don't like" or add what you'd prefer.

It's quite obvious that although *I* have made choices that I think "fit" certain fonts... some of them will *NOT* be to 100% of people's liking. There will ALWAYS be someone out there saying "why did you do a push sound I want a force xxxxxxx sound!!!!" Which is fine. Which is why there is the "unmixed" directory! :)

Anyways-- I think the CD was money well spent-- I love the personalization!I agree! I tried to make it well worth the moolah, and... it wouldn't be like me to make something all shoddy and lame.

*******NOTE*******
This is something I want to address once and for all... so that EVERYone knows:

1. The "SW" fonts are all EXTREMELY "movie accurate".
2. In some cases, such as EP I... they are 100% accurate, and in fact... the clashes (if played sequentially) mimic *EXACTLY* the battle between Maul and Obi.
3. If you somehow think that *ANY* of the "SW" fonts (including the electro staff) are in any way "wrong"--as in not from the movie... I'm sorry, but... YOUARE WRONG. :)
4. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to make a CF-driven saber sound *EXACTLY* like Ep I/II/II/IV/whatever... 100% of the time, on every move, with every swing and every clash. Not even Ben Burtt could do it. :)
5. It's silly to expect #4 anyhow. ;)

Saying all of this is not for me to be egotistical--far from it! Those are all Ben Burtt sounds in the purely "SW" folders, so you would have to defer to how you feel about the sounds in the movies when they are mixed "out of order" or in a way that doesn't resonate for your tastes.

Finally... in SOME cases--pulling certain sounds was *VERY* tough. I do not have access to Ben Burtt's entire personal library of his work!!! And why in the heck WOULD I... and why in blazes would I be so pretentious as to ASK such a thing?!? What *I* did... was do my best to represent the sounds from the movies (wherever possible), and in some/most cases, I've: lengthened, filtered, re-organized, re-mixed, re-pitched, time-warped certain sounds to make them work.

Example: the EP I "lockup" sound. Obi locks with Maul only for a few MOMENTS. But who wants a sound loop that is 1 second long?! It sounds like arse. But I didn't want to "make it up", so... I had to get creative. I will say this: it's *STILL* the same exact sound from the film. I just WORKED with it to get a loop that is about 6 or 7 seconds long.

Enjoy! And THANKS to all who are supporting my work! Go have FUN and post videos, comments, show off the fonts!

Cal2kidz
06-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Got mine earlier this week! All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Great job Nova!
Now the work begins on how to learn it all, but that is the fun!

Cal2kidz:cool:

Novastar
06-09-2008, 02:43 AM
You're welcome my friend! Any minister to children is aces in my book! ;)

And... yeah... it's not like I wanted you to be able to "do it all in one sitting", heheheh...

CybKnight
06-09-2008, 07:46 AM
I got mine today. Living in the northern/ outer part of Europe. Now its just to wait for my parts from TCSS that are due soon.

Ram21
06-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey Nova got mine on the 4th. My friend and I were watching the demonstration and really enjoying it. That alone is well worth the price of admission. I haven't had a chance to check out the rest of the CD; went on vacation the next day, but I am back and ready to rock now!

Thank you for all of your work.

strengthofrage
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Just ordered mine and I am excited, thanks Nova! It looks to be an amazing collection, I can't wait to get it and get started :)

Novastar
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey Nova got mine on the 4th. My friend and I were watching the demonstration and really enjoying it. That alone is well worth the price of admission. I haven't had a chance to check out the rest of the CD; went on vacation the next day, but I am back and ready to rock now!

Thank you for all of your work.

The pleasure is all mine. :) And... what demonstration did you mean? The staged combat tutorial, or the sound mixing stuff? :) Uh... wait, or the "250 Battle"?

The bloody CD thing is so full, I actually had to leave OUT some extras and videos... since they simply would not fit on the CD. :)

My (short) vacation is coming this weekend. "Thank the maker."

STR of RRRRR!, I will see about your order... it didn't come through yet for Paypal notifications, so I'm not sure what's going on... :confused:

Stevewars
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Nova,
Or should that be NovaMaul smart moves on the cd with the one and only queen for sound ,just received today cant wait to test the rest of the cd out.Thanks again Nova.:D

H@rrY89
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
*twiddles thumbs*

No Love for us Aussies.........

Still haven't got mine yet :(

Novastar
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Harry, I sent you a PM... I want to be certain I sent to you, as I've only had ONE order from Australia...

I *THINK* it's you, but... no idea. I know Yoda and I were working on your saber lately though... (pretty sure).

H@rrY89
06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Harry, I sent you a PM... I want to be certain I sent to you, as I've only had ONE order from Australia...

I *THINK* it's you, but... no idea. I know Yoda and I were working on your saber lately though... (pretty sure).

Yeah that's me ;)

I replied to your PM :D

UPDATE:

Ironically It arrived about 10 minutes ago :D!!!

Ram21
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
The pleasure is all mine. :) And... what demonstration did you mean? The staged combat tutorial, or the sound mixing stuff? :) Uh... wait, or the "250 Battle"?

Yeah lots of stuff, the Staged Combat Tutorial :)

Novastar
06-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Awesome Ram, and awesome, Harry! :) Glad to hear it!

Finally... for those who have NOT ordered the CD, here is a link to the font descriptions:

http://thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd2.html

You can find these in the root directory of the CD. But... you can also preview the fonts if you have the CD anyhow, so... hopefully that will give you the info you need prior to installing a font for testing!

sekrogue1985
06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
wanted to say I got mine weds and it rocks. I've managed to finally rework sound of my custom fonts. Thanks Novastar for letting us get a hold of your hard work. In the videos of the fonts that i've reworked I've totally given credit where credit is due cause how can I take this work. In all my years I don't think I could have accomplished this. Anywho my fiance really hates it but likes "the 250 battle" video. Thanks again wootness!!!!

Novastar
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
You bet, Sek! Glad you enjoyed, and glad many others are impressed and diggin' on it.

That being said, I thought of some "flames" to give MYSELF! :) That is, after I had a chance to actually BREATHE and look at the CD more as a "customer" rather than just slaving to get it done:

1. Should I have just made a default config.txt file in ALL 20 sound banks for EACH version of CF? I initially did not do this for reasons of time and also because certain versions "overlap" with sound commonalities... but have DIFFERENT config.txt options. So... thoughts?

Keep in mind, I don't even know if this would have been possible since I was already at the 700MB limit of a CD... and this would have required completely separate folders for:

v1.2, v2, v2.1, v2.5, v2.6x, v.3, v3.1 (I think), v4.x

2. I could have included a "blank" skeletal structure for folders that could be easily copied and readied for copying sound files over. That is, a blank root directory with "bank1, bank2, etc. + tracks, + one.raw, two.raw, etc. + menu, player, etc. etc. etc. + default config.txts and leds.txts

Seem like a good idea? Simple enough I think.

3. I could have included a link or links back to my youtube page / website where it announced the CD and also the FAQ page where I've included a lot of extra help? Would that be useful, or is it sort of moot?

That's about all I could think of thus far.

Finally if you notice any ERRORS (like sounds that simply come out as white noise/garbage) or problematic config.txt files (praying that I did that right on 100% of 'em!!!)... let me know!

Thanks for the continued support...

xwingband
07-01-2008, 11:51 AM
1) I'm not sure on this... I think an example set for each version might be alright. Like a light flicker, deeper flicker, pulsed, etc... personally when it comes to saber fonts I just took your novastar and darkstar configs and altered them slightly for others.

You'd need versions for V1.1, V1.2, V2, V2.5, V2.6, V3, and V4 to be complete. V2.1 was the same as V2.0 there was a software change because above 5V it would reboot with any motion. V3.1 was just a gold version of the V3.0 I think...

2) nah... as a good practice I keep a working set and changed set of folders for ALL of the sabers I have. That way I can revert to the working set if the changed set is funky.

3) Not a big deal to me. I think a nice addition might be more tutorials on making your own fonts. Although I think you have made a load to work with (meaning I'm less likely to expend the effort) that's certainly the most daunting task of owning a CF.

Also if you had to step up to maybe a DVD for space diagrams out the wazoo would be great. I'd be willing to help there and anybody could suggest a setup. My idea is like the bunch that corbin had for his board.

Novastar
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Good idea on #1 X... I hadn't thought about giving examples of differing flickers for each font... although, that is basically what you find when taking the flicker/pulse options of (let's say) Phoenix vs. Novastar or whatever.

I wanted to highlight the fonts to each have not only their own SOUND personality... but a LIGHT personality as well.

Unfortunately, this is fairly difficult to "set in stone" because differing battery solutions + differing LEDs (fwd v + curr) throw in three extra variables that I simply cannot plan all THAT well for. Basically, I figured what I had was fairly "average" for a CF, meaning 7.2v using a Lux III or a K2. But... I'll admit I never HAVE tried things with a Lux III @1000ma.

Anyhow... good idea though. In general, I guess that one is somewhat "done". For "wild" flicker... look to Phoenix, Chainsaw and Electro-Staff types... for more "subdued" flicker, to the SW fonts you'll go. And for N-Star and B-Star... those are just my personal preference.

Diagrams... this is a good idea--I actually wanted to include several that I had made for the Flange III sabers (so essentially includes +motor, +4 LED indicators +Kill/recharge), but I don't remember if I did this... or even had room. :) But when and if there is a v2 of the CD, I definitely would like help, X. Something like:

* Most basic you can get (Erv already did this I think)
* LED indicators / w/motor (I've done this, easy)
* Kill + recharge (done, easy)
* Something really unique with the "clash flash" output for newer versions...
* Other people's stuff being creative maybe "controlling" a motor a bit more interestingly (and maybe not just having it mimic the main LED current)

Stuff like that. :)

If anyone has some completed + tested/verified CF diagrams (hopefully based off of Erv's original for consistency and clarity)... feel free to e-mail them to me, and also "stamp" your callsign or whatever you like in the lower right corner (or whatever) so that credit can be kept where credit is due.

With any luck, these can either become part of a 2nd CD... or simply be made available online or both. Heaven knows, I can post these on the webpage I dedicated to my CD:

http://www.thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html

BTW, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, I finally described each of the fonts here:

http://thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd2.html

sekrogue1985
07-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Ive noticed errors with a couple of the fonts config text specificly dealing with the pulsing and the flicker. then again it may be my led idk. but at times the led will just go out during it. the h20 is a good example, it wont even do this unless its like red or amber. flks=20 flkd=200 flkp=20 flkg=20. my blue and r blue work great with out fonts but the crap out on this one and i dont thing h20 is red lol. last issue i found is the flow of some of the fonts suck as epI and ep VI. they seem kinda not so smooth. but that is me. the ep1 hum coms out airy and i dont hear the spudder in it its like MR sounding. but that was easily fixed by mixing in the ep4 hum before you updated it. but yeah those are just some issues ive found alll maybe irrelavent for others because everybodies ears are different but yeah still trying to upload my reworked video demo of what ive created onto youtube but poosh that. :)

Novastar
07-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Sek, this is a good point, but as I said below... I cannot be responsible for the flicker/pulse settings working "properly" or "the way person X wants them to" by default... with the nearly exponential possibilities of:

* User Battery configurations
* User Current Specifications for LED X
* User Voltage (Fwd) Specifications for LED X

Those three variables will mess around with things--sometimes in a minor way, sometimes in a drastic way.

Further, there *IS* indeed an error with the pulse settings on v4. It's nothing horrible, but you can only really get a "decent" result with it if you set to something like 20 to 30. This is when you're using BOTH flicker AND pulse though--as far as I know.

The CF v4 pulse error has been addressed and fixed for future versions of v4.x, and it works as originally expected now.

The details of the error simply had to do with accidentally choosing a signed variable over a non-signed one (i.e. x= -255 to 255... not x= 0 to 512 or whatever).

Anyhow, the entire point of the config.txt file is for the end user to play around and set things up for THEIR specifications. :) Tweak and adjust until things behave to your liking! The config.txt files are just examples!

As for me, I can assure anyone who is reading that... in MY case--with 7.2v + Lux III "darkside" (or Lux K2 "lightside") @ 1500ma... the pulse settings in all of my fonts look fine and work well... FOR ME. As to other people's settings... well... again--the above three variables (ok, FOUR if you count the pulse error with v4) are enough to simply make it impossible for me to predict what will happen with your saber.

This is ESPECIALLY true if your LED has a forward voltage of (for example) 3.9v... and you are using 4v or 5v to power everything. Well, I hate to tell you this, but you simply will not have enough current to get some really NICE ramping curves and pulsing options... especially as your battery solution begins to wane.

It's extremely tough to explain. But... hmm... if there *WAS* a way around this, I'd go for it. The only thing is--the only way around is to set all of the fonts on the CD to EXTREMELY similar light driving values... and... I just think that's a waste of showing the capabilities of CF. :)

So, in short for all NSCFCDv1 owners:

PROBLEM: The LED glows/pulses in a way that isn't pleasing to you, or the LED completely fades out--not returning to being lit...

SOLUTION: Edit the config.txt file and remove or reduce the amount of pulse and/or flicker in the settings "flickers, flickerp, flickerg"... also listed as "flicks, flickp, flickg" in v4

Novastar
07-01-2008, 04:31 PM
last issue i found is the flow of some of the fonts suck as epI and ep VI. they seem kinda not so smooth. but that is me. the ep1 hum coms out airy and i dont hear the spudder in it its like MR sounding.Regarding this, the only things I can say or ask are:

* What do you mean by "spudder"
* When you say "they seem not so smooth", do you mean how a swing flows into a clash or... what?
* When you say its "MR sounding", do you mean to say one of my fonts sounds like the MR sabers? If so... that's simply ridiculous--it's impossible to compare 3 clashes/swings to 8 and also 8-bit to 16.
* The Episode I sounds are DIRECTLY... and I mean DIRECTLY from the films. Whatever it sounds like--is exactly how it sounded in the movies short of the fact that you have a miniature speaker limited in its own way, and a monophonic setup instead of 7.1 THX surround.
* The Episode I sounds (if played in order/sequentially)... directly mimic a sequence of saber sounds found EXACTLY AS IS in Phantom Menace. On their own (thus, randomly), each sound still sounds good to me as well. It's actually a favorite font of mine now! :)
* Did you adjust the volume potentiometer on CF? If it's too high, the sounds will distort. If too low--it will sound weak.
* Do you have decent resonance within your saber? This is always a concern with sounds... although that would not cause my sounds to sound like MRFX boards, lol

sekrogue1985
07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Regarding this, the only things I can say or ask are:

* What do you mean by "spudder"
* When you say "they seem not so smooth", do you mean how a swing flows into a clash or... what?
* When you say its "MR sounding", do you mean to say one of my fonts sounds like the MR sabers? If so... that's simply ridiculous--it's impossible to compare 3 clashes/swings to 8 and also 8-bit to 16.
* The Episode I sounds are DIRECTLY... and I mean DIRECTLY from the films. Whatever it sounds like--is exactly how it sounded in the movies short of the fact that you have a miniature speaker limited in its own way, and a monophonic setup instead of 7.1 THX surround.
* The Episode I sounds (if played in order/sequentially)... directly mimic a sequence of saber sounds found EXACTLY AS IS in Phantom Menace. On their own (thus, randomly), each sound still sounds good to me as well. It's actually a favorite font of mine now! :)
* Did you adjust the volume potentiometer on CF? If it's too high, the sounds will distort. If too low--it will sound weak.
* Do you have decent resonance within your saber? This is always a concern with sounds... although that would not cause my sounds to sound like MRFX boards, lol

So i figured it out it was a speaker issue. It was wonky at best it was one that I've used for over 2 years was in my first saber I built out of a sink tube and an MR board. What can you say and old radio shack speaker put to good use and finally needed to be well retired and so I installed the speaker that erv provide with my 4.0 and boom much better. lol I never thought it was my speaker I thought it could have been the sounds. So i'm sorry for what i said earlier. now that EPI sound is killer and man do I love it hehehehe. Lesson learned sometimes it's not the sounds fault it's what you have it coming through :P

Novastar
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Ah! Good, problem solved! :)

Actually, I'm glad you posted Sek--of all the things I suggested, I FAILED to ask about one of the most important concerns with sound... DUHHHHH!!! Oops, what was I THINKING?!

The speaker!

If, for any reason, anyone else is reading... if you use a speaker with poor dynamic range (read: "I bought it at Radio Shack for $1")... it doesn't matter if Ben Burtt or the entire gamut of Hollywood sound guys designed the sounds, nor if the uber-God of electronics designed the sound hardware... your sounds simply will come out like ARSE! :)

So... keep that in mind everyone... your speaker MUST have at least a DECENT dynamic range to get good results. What the bloody heck does that mean? Well, trust speakers that Tim sells here at TCSS (I helped him select those speakers), also the ones that Erv sells--they are nearly identical... or find yourself some "uber" speaker samples or do whatever you need to do.

A good dynamic range is 200Hz to 20,000Hz. For a miniature speaker. :) This doesn't mean that you absolutely need this range, but... something around here is good.

Most "el cheapo" speakers will have nowhere near the dynamic range and quality of (again, for example) what I have, what Tim has, what Erv has. We've selected the speakers carefully.

But finally, this does NOT mean that there are "no better" speakers out there. Au contraire... you only need to poke around and have a little fun trying speakers out! But keep in mind that quite often... size makes a difference. In general, a 36mm speaker will perform better than a 28mm one. In GENERAL. Not always.

sekrogue1985
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Ah! Good, problem solved! :)

Actually, I'm glad you posted Sek--of all the things I suggested, I FAILED to ask about one of the most important concerns with sound... DUHHHHH!!! Oops, what was I THINKING?!

The speaker!

If, for any reason, anyone else is reading... if you use a speaker with poor dynamic range (read: "I bought it at Radio Shack for $1")... it doesn't matter if Ben Burtt or the entire gamut of Hollywood sound guys designed the sounds, nor if the uber-God of electronics designed the sound hardware... your sounds simply will come out like ARSE! :)

So... keep that in mind everyone... your speaker MUST have at least a DECENT dynamic range to get good results. What the bloody heck does that mean? Well, trust speakers that Tim sells here at TCSS (I helped him select those speakers), also the ones that Erv sells--they are nearly identical... or find yourself some "uber" speaker samples or do whatever you need to do.

A good dynamic range is 200Hz to 20,000Hz. For a miniature speaker. :) This doesn't mean that you absolutely need this range, but... something around here is good.

Most "el cheapo" speakers will have nowhere near the dynamic range and quality of (again, for example) what I have, what Tim has, what Erv has. We've selected the speakers carefully.

But finally, this does NOT mean that there are "no better" speakers out there. Au contraire... you only need to poke around and have a little fun trying speakers out! But keep in mind that quite often... size makes a difference. In general, a 36mm speaker will perform better than a 28mm one. In GENERAL. Not always.

Glad to have helped out. :)

Novastar
07-12-2008, 04:27 PM
YIKES, I was alerted to an "error" on the CD!

And it's SOOOOOO insane... ;) *wink* ;) ... ... I missed adding a config file for Rob's "Heirloom" font under the v3 folder. For some reason, it's present under all the other versions, just not v3. I don't know WHY or how I did that, but... there you go.

As most will realize, I'm joking--it's not a big error... the config files are pretty easy to make yourself. In fact, I think most of the Heirloom configs are similar to EP IV configs. Or, you can simply modify whichever v3 config file you like.

Sorry... je suis desole' mon amis... ;)

-----------------------

On an unrelated note, I would like to hear if more people other than folks like Obi-Dar have run into the problem where something like "Phoenix Pyre" quite literally "burns out" and the LED shuts off during the flickering.

Mostly, people would find this on v4 *IF* (and only if) you are using the "pulsing" parameter in the parameters (also known as "flkg" essentially flickerg--for flicker gradient)...

Because I set the Phoenix Pyre options to a massive amount of flickering and strobing (along with maybe Electro-Staff and NecroVolt), it is also possible that your battery configuration will allow your LED to shut off as well, since it will essentially pulse the current so far down... that your LED won't be able to stay lit. Why it doesn't come BACK on is beyond me.

SOLUTIONS:
* Disable both the pulse glow by setting flickerp and flickerg to 0 (zero). Also known as "flkp" and "flkg".
* Reduce the amount of flicker depth on option "flkd".
* Use another "known good" config file that you like and you can tweak the numbers in it a bit if you like as well.

HELPFUL NOTES (for v4, but somewhat applies to v3 as well):

FLKRS [0-20]
Low value = Subtle flicker, more "static" in a sense
High value = Lots of variation and more dynamic flicker

FLKRD [0-500]
Low value = Subtle drop in the current, so the blade stays very close to full brightness
Mid value = Blade looks more "alive", and flickers more like a candle or energy beam
High value = Blade shimmers drastically, moving into very dim moments to full brightness... good for "Ancient Saber" or "ElectroStaff" and sound fonts like this.

FLKRP [0-100]
This is a PERCENTAGE drop the current will cycle through. The lower, the more subtle the pulse. The higher, the deeper (and therefore longer) the pulse.
When set to numbers from 10 to 32, you'll get something akin to a "lightsaber". Too much higher, and it will begin to get too "glowy", heheh... although you would experiment to your liking.
This DOES depend on your LED and battery setup though!!! There is no "ideal" solution that will fit EVERYone. Live with it! You'll have to do some tweaking on it.
Setting it to 100 would essentially make the current pulse from it's very highest to its lowest (off). You can do so if you wish, but it's not recommended.

FLKRG [0-50]
This one can be very tricky. This is the GRADIENT or grade at which your pulse (flkp) will move through the extremes of the current.

Why would we need this? Well... if you want a VERY SLOW, smooooooooth glow... set this to 0 or 1, maybe 2. It means we will be moving through the current one tiny "click" at a time if you will.

If you want the glow to pulse VERY QUICKLY... set this to maybe 20...

But--this also depends on how FAR your pulse is going to go! In other words--how far FLKP pulses!

If FLKP is extremely low in the first place (say, flkp=15)... then setting FLKG to 20 is pretty pointless and you won't see your pulse... it will move TOO fast.

I recommend keeping FLKG fairly low--maybe an extreme maximum of 10, and that would only be if you set FLKP to 90 or something ridiculous.

Alright... enough of all that. Hope it helps someone... anyone! ;)

sekrogue1985
07-12-2008, 04:46 PM
FLKRP and the FLKRG are hard to deal with and get them right lots of twicking is involve but also note that if you go too crazy with them you well get that burn out issue that everybody is talking about. YOu get too crazy and try to get a seisure effect well let's just say yeah not a wise idea. I've done some testing on this and found that certain levels of these settings will cause your LED to burn out it takes longer for reds, R/O, and ambers. Blues and cyan go fairly quickly so gauge what you want and keep in mind it can't perfect but you can get pretty darn close.

I will also like to add that you need to be careful with your pulse effect cause your eyes can get burned out too from constant exposure to it. It's like a seisure waiting to happen. I've got one that works great but after a while i get a headache and no one wants to duel with a guy that uses the LED pulsing as a weapong to give you a headache. I thought I let you know. My mom's a docter she saw what i was doing wiht the twicking and said be careful you can hurt your eyes. anywho yeah have fun be safe

Novastar
07-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I should make everyone aware that by me saying "burn out"...

...I DO NOT mean that it will actually KILL the LED permanently... I only mean to say that since the current falls so low, it prevents the LED from lighting up again. And strangely enough, if you cause a "clash" or do the "lockup", it will often re-light! :)

This basically has to do with the obvious fact that LED require a certain forward voltage and current to operate. If they fall too far below the optimal voltage and current... they stop working.

I *HAVE* recently truly fried a few Red-Orange LEDs with a CF board... but... it's unlike any board that anyone out there might have, so... unless I hear differently, if your LED actually DOES permanently fry... it's very very very unlikely that it would be due to CF doing so.

Just wanted to make that clear!!!

Braxus
07-12-2008, 07:53 PM
i think you did awesome work novastar. you put alot of time and effort into making most of the fonts and the CD. i think its no biggy if there is an error or two in a few files and such. your the man nova!!!!

:D

Novastar
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks Braxus... although I don't mind admitting my mistakes: after all, that's the entire POINT of hardware, software, etc. To improve it. Plus, it's helpful if everyone is made aware of what things are going on.

I found a few more issues--unfortunately these ARE ones that affect the sounds. Not in a HORRIBLE way, but... they annoy me since I tried to avoid it.

* Episode I -- one of the force sounds will always play a "pop" or "click" after finishing. This is a badly mixed sound, and I don't know how I missed that. It's fixed for future CDs.

* Episode II -- at least one (maybe two) of the clash sounds will always play a "pop" or "click" after finishing. This is a badly mixed sound, and I don't know how I missed that EITHER... but it's fixed for future CDs.

As a reminder, the v3 config folder lacks a config.txt file for "Heirloom". This is also fixed now. :) Special thanks to Roys Blues for telling me about that!

That's all that I know of for right now!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
07-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Novastar, thanks for your explanation in post 36. That's very helpful.

I'll try adjusting it tonight and let you know how I make out. I really like the Phoenix Pyre font, so I'd like to get it working right.

sekrogue1985
07-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Braxus... although I don't mind admitting my mistakes: after all, that's the entire POINT of hardware, software, etc. To improve it. Plus, it's helpful if everyone is made aware of what things are going on.

I found a few more issues--unfortunately these ARE ones that affect the sounds. Not in a HORRIBLE way, but... they annoy me since I tried to avoid it.

* Episode I -- one of the force sounds will always play a "pop" or "click" after finishing. This is a badly mixed sound, and I don't know how I missed that. It's fixed for future CDs.

* Episode II -- at least one (maybe two) of the clash sounds will always play a "pop" or "click" after finishing. This is a badly mixed sound, and I don't know how I missed that EITHER... but it's fixed for future CDs.

As a reminder, the v3 config folder lacks a config.txt file for "Heirloom". This is also fixed now. :) Special thanks to Roys Blues for telling me about that!

That's all that I know of for right now!

Hey it's cool Novastar. FOr me I noticed it but with the miracle of GOLDWAVE I figure out which ones needed to be fixed and did it myself. ANyhow with what you did a few flaws can happen but hey this is a great product.

Novastar
07-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Hey it's cool Novastar. FOr me I noticed it but with the miracle of GOLDWAVE I figure out which ones needed to be fixed and did it myself. ANyhow with what you did a few flaws can happen but hey this is a great product.Exactly, since I cannot fix the CDs that are ALREADY out there, it's good for folks to know that... well, THEY can adjust some of the sounds themselves if need/want be.

Again, that is the entire POINT of the CD. Well, at least the tutorials: I may have placed 19 of my own fonts (and 1 of Rob's) on there, but... the videos should at least enable some folks to build their own.

And if you already play around with sound... shouldn't be a problem at all with the right tools! Just time-consuming, mainly.

The hardest is making your own from SCRATCH, and I don't mean copying this sound and that and plugging them in... I mean--you start with NOTHING and come out with a totally "non-Ben Burtt" saber sound font.

Hmm, maybe the next CD should be called "The Sounds of CF: by the fans and owners OF CF!", heheh.

sekrogue1985
07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
seeing how i spent all night working on that blaster effect and what not yeah it was a pain. i toiled the net for sounds of just a deflect. u had deflects on the cd but they didn't fit. so i mixed and chopped n made pancakes litterally made pancakes then honkered down and boom came up with something so so that works for me. anyhow now if my demo video would just load onto youtube i'll post it it is on facebook though.

Exactly, since I cannot fix the CDs that are ALREADY out there, it's good for folks to know that... well, THEY can adjust some of the sounds themselves if need/want be.

Again, that is the entire POINT of the CD. Well, at least the tutorials: I may have placed 19 of my own fonts (and 1 of Rob's) on there, but... the videos should at least enable some folks to build their own.

And if you already play around with sound... shouldn't be a problem at all with the right tools! Just time-consuming, mainly.

The hardest is making your own from SCRATCH, and I don't mean copying this sound and that and plugging them in... I mean--you start with NOTHING and come out with a totally "non-Ben Burtt" saber sound font.

Hmm, maybe the next CD should be called "The Sounds of CF: by the fans and owners OF CF!", heheh.

Novastar
07-27-2008, 12:46 AM
X-Wing alerted me to this:

---------------------------------
There is an "error" in your compendium... the config files should be V2.63 to V3.x for the configs. I was just copy and pasting the configs and didn't realize the problem until later. V2.63 has the shortened parameter names like V3's.

Not a terrible "error" and easy to "fix" by just renaming the containing folders. :)

Cheers!
Michael (xwingband)
---------------------------------

I'm not sure how I ended up figuring that v2.63 had the same configurations as v2.61, but... there ya go!

This is a "big" enough error that it will be fixed for all future purchases. As X said though... not a very big deal overall. BUT... this could prove to be mind-numbing for total newcomers, as it would completely halt the usage of Crystal Focus!!!!!! D'ohhhh!!

Thanks X...

Novastar
08-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Another update:

* Decided to add the config.txt file to the sound directories (v4 only)

I did this since it might lessen the amount of steps it takes when copying files over. Granted--all users will STILL have to edit the config.txt file to report appropriate LED current, switches, etc.

There is little chance of default settings frying any LEDs, since the current setting is just under 1A. Not to mention--CF flickers! :)

* Added a "dummy" folder set for bank1-6, plus menu options, etc.

This way--if you want to do a quick and dirty test without using the CF defaults, AND you want to be super-quick to copy things over and go... you can do it even faster now.

I think this will now quite literally stuff the CD ***SOOOO*** tight, there may only be like... umm... a couple KB left. I don't know, have to check, but... it's pretty tight... :)

* Added an "LED Current Calculator"...

This is a simple tool in which you provide the desired amperage (in 'A'), and the tool spits out the "Crystal Focus" number. This is nothing special, as some of this is already calculated for you in Erv's .pdf and in a helpful .txt file in the configuration directories on the CD. But... it was easy to add! :)

So, ultimately:

-------------------------------------------------
MINOR v1.1 UPDATES (completed 8/11/08)
-------------------------------------------------

* Added an "LED Current Calculator"
* Updated the helpful hints file for configurations
* Fixed problem with LEDs.txt folders not covering v2.5 forward (used to read v2.61 forward)
* Fixed problem with v2.63 config.txt being synonymous with v2.61--instead, it is with v3
* Added the config.txt file to the sound directories (v4 only)
* Added a "dummy" folder set for bank1-6, plus menu options, etc.
* Episode I sounds -- fixed some small zero-crossing point errors to remove pops & clicks
* Episode II sounds -- fixed some small zero-crossing point errors to remove pops & clicks
* Added missing Heirloom config.txt file for v3 (it was missing under v3 folder only)

I'll see about posting at least some of these "bonuses" online for the original v1 buyers, but... REALLY these are extremely minor things that are easily remedied with awareness--and in some cases (like the "pops & clicks)--I doubt most any of you folks would even catch them!! :) I'm just picky.

Again, special thanks to everyone who alerted me to issues or the "minor errors"!