PDA

View Full Version : MR SABERS....3AA vs. 6AA

Tiberius172
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Can someone explain the difference between the MR sabers that use 3AA batteries vs. 6AA batteries? I'm curious as to why MR made this switch and if there are advantages/disadvantages to one vs. the other if you intend to use the electrical components in a custom saber. My intention is to used the sound/motion sensors coupled with Tim's LEDs, holders, etc...

If this has been covered elsewhere, my apologies, just point me in the right direction and I'll take it from there.

Thanks,
Tiberius

"The force will be with you...always...."

xwingband
02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
My guess is they ran the sound and blade seperatly when figuring the voltage. I have heard (not owning a 6-celled) that it is possible to run it perfectly normal off of 4 cells in the stock pack. I have no idea of which two can be removed but it's possible.

I suspect they learned that sound was easier by giving it a larger space and running it lower. Just a guess though...

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

The Plague
02-28-2006, 05:20 AM
You can run a 6-cell off 4 batteries, but it is dim and the ound will be crap.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

Tiberius172
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I guess I'm also curious as to why it seems that most everyone out there who do the LED conversion to the MR Sabers use the 3AA versions? Is there something with the 6AA (voltage/amps)that prevents this conversion on models like the Luke ROTJ or Mace Windu ROTS models? If so can this not be compensated for with resistors?

Thanks,
Tiberius

LAN-ED-TUL
02-28-2006, 11:35 AM
i think its a matter of the room inside there. there might not be any to slap a resistor in it .

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

The Plague
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Yes Lan is right it's a matter of room.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

tetmatek
03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
The 6 AA work well for conversions requiring power like RGB LED. 3 batteries power the sound and three power the blade. i am working on a RGB Anakin AOTC. CSS blade holder plus all the stock stuff fits nicely.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
allright tet, way to go. hope that works out. sounds good. how the vader suit modding goin?

Wolverine
03-01-2006, 10:40 PM
He got a Vader suit too???
When are you guys gonna post some pictures??? Not that the suits look really different, but I for one never get tired of looking at more Vader pictures!!! [8D] http://members.aol.com/JEDISITHLORD/images/thumbup.gif

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 02:35 AM
yeah, i seen on ebay that tet won a suit there. i was keepin an eye on it. he did better than i did. i had a last second bidder jump the bid from 450 to 600 on me. i was a lil pi**ed off. but i still got a good price.

i have that benefit im doin in 2 days now, i will gwet a digital camera and get some pics. i will have them put on a disk to x-fer to computer. and i will post them in my thread the rubies costume.

be patient, i will get them.

tetmatek
03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks LAN! Nope ;havn't got it yet. Supposed to get it somtime this month. To get the good deal i'm havin to wait. I KNOW IT"LL BE WORTH it. I already have a supreme Helmet Signed by the REAL MAN (more machine; twisted and evil) David Prowse so it'll be great to get one i can use. I'm going to make a display case for the signed one. Ill have to separate the pieces for display since he signed the inner part.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 09:53 PM
cool tet. guess you musta got a presell one then. thats cool i reckon. as you already know from following my thread on my suit, the major modding is in the helmet just to get the thing in better shape.

ive had no luck in any response from vaderpainter on those lens he has, so i found that lens guy off ebay and i got one from him. made a HUGE difference. lil neck trimming, minor stuff it is just theres a few on one item that has to be done. only other thing i have discovered is the cod. in the 3rd movie the life support boxes on the belt and the buckle were designed to fit like they do on the rubies supreme setup. and the cod is rigid. unlike all the others that are made more softer so they are flexible. this fact makes this thing very hard to sit down. so im thinking of getting a different one that is more flexible to allow you to sit down.

im hoping that david prowse will be at our convention this year or in one of the following yearly cons. it would be cool to have him see my suit. and get his john henry on my MR vader saber.