PDA

View Full Version : 5 watt LED that runs at 3,2v?

ti-el_terall
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Does this look like a normal 5 watt LED?

Lens Color : Water Clear
Emitted Color : blue
Intensity Typ. : 100~120Lm
Viewing Angle : 160°
Forward Voltage : 3.0v-3.2v
Forward Current : 650mA

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Star-Bright-5W-Full-Color-120-Lumen-LM-Blue-Led-B5_W0QQitemZ290233320337QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66954QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LeMoel
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
yeah they are nice led's those prolights, u can get them cheaper here

http://www.led-bulbs.com/eShop/10Browsepro.asp?Category=Prolight

get the reflector to it makes it bright than the normal optics

Eandori
08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
This is exactly why I keep trying to get people to STOP calling the Luxeon V LED's "5 watt LED's"

Watts is what you get when you multiply voltage and current. A green K2 is usually ran at 5 watts (3.9v x 1.5A = 5.85 watts). So... yes an LED that runs at different voltages can be a "5 watt LED." It depends on the current.

Luxeon I series is "Luxeon one" not "Luxeon 1-watt"
Luxeon III series is "Luxeon Three" not "Luxeon 3-watt"
Luxeon V series is "Luxeon Five" not "Luxeon 5-watt"

Cheers,

Hasid Lafre
08-29-2008, 06:01 PM
To bad hes not talking about a lux led.

xwingband
08-29-2008, 08:45 PM
To bad hes not talking about a lux led.

Too bad it's still applies...

That LED Ti-el posted is only about 2W.

Hasid Lafre
08-30-2008, 01:12 AM
So what are we to call them then? Nonlux Lux III/V?

Novastar
08-30-2008, 04:21 PM
This is exactly why I keep trying to get people to STOP calling the Luxeon V LED's "5 watt LED's"

Watts is what you get when you multiply voltage and current. A green K2 is usually ran at 5 watts (3.9v x 1.5A = 5.85 watts). So... yes an LED that runs at different voltages can be a "5 watt LED." It depends on the current.

Luxeon I series is "Luxeon one" not "Luxeon 1-watt"
Luxeon III series is "Luxeon Three" not "Luxeon 3-watt"
Luxeon V series is "Luxeon Five" not "Luxeon 5-watt"

Cheers,X-Wing and I have been trying to do the same for a few years, but not to much avail.

I say... if the people don't want to listen, fine.

But for those reading--I don't care WHAT you hear, what Eandori is saying here is the de facto way to look at wattage when regarding LEDs.

"2w LED" or whatever... is not about "non-Lux"... it's just bloody non-sequitur.

Eandori
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
This is the reason my comments do apply Hasid.

5 watt LED that runs at 3.2v?
Does this look like a normal 5 watt LED?

Lens Color : Water Clear
Emitted Color : blue
Intensity Typ. : 100~120Lm
Viewing Angle : 160°
Forward Voltage : 3.0v-3.2v
Forward Current : 650mA

Note that his first question was what he believed was a contradiction. He knew Luxeon V LED's run at voltages around 6.85v forward, and he knew they were often called "Luxeon 5 watts"

So it didn't make sense to the original thread author that you can have a "5 watt LED" that runs at 3.2v instead of 6.85v. If people on these boards did not incorrectly refer to Luxeon V's as "5 watt LED's" then this author would not have gotten confused.

Or... if he knew the basic equation to calculate power he also would not have gotten confused, but I guess not many people know that voltage times current = power.

Cheers,

Novastar
09-04-2008, 01:32 AM
it's funny, I have a guy posting on one of my youtube vids talking about... (**drumroll**) a "10w" LED. He seems to know quite a bit, but insists that...

... "10w" is accurate at a range of voltages for the LED's fwd v from 8.1v to 12.8v (or something). WHAT?!?!?!

For those reading... again... this makes NO SENSE. *HOW* could the wattage remain "the same" if you're varying one of the values all over the place???!?!?! WTF??!?!?!? And please everyone--don't forget that voltage is RELATIONAL to current. If you change one--you usually affect the other to some extent.

But anyhow, even if you don't have electronics experience... IT STILL MAKES NO SENSE. It's akin to the following:

2 * 2 = 4
but...
2 * 5 = 4 also... (!!)
and...
3 * 2 = 4
and
4 * 4 = 4 ... .... (WHAT!!)

just like:

2v @ 2A = 4 watts
but...
2v @ 5A = 4 watts also
and...
3v @ 2A = 4 watts
and
4v @ 4A = 4 watts ... .... (WHHEEEEEEE!!!!!...)

GIGO.

CybKnight
09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
General rule is (as some of you prob already know):

P (effect/Watt) = U (Voltage/Volt) x I (Current/Amp)

Unless someone overturn the laws of electronics,
I think it will stay that way for a long time.

I gather that the most important thing is how YOU think the saber looks in RL.
If you must, you can also sometimes compare similar colors in lumens.

But the only thing that I see Watt is influencing, is the power drain.

Eandori
09-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Changing the power input to the LED will definitely change the brightnes of the LED. I have run my Luxeon V LED's from 4.8 watts up to around 10.8 watts and there is a huge difference in brightness as I vary the power input.

Yes, voltage and current are relational just like Novastar said.

Yes the equation for power dissipation is P=I*V, it's also... P=R*I^2

Yes an increase in voltage on your LED results in more current on the LED, which results in more power being used, which results in more lumens at the LED.

The best way to see minior increases in brightness is two identical sabers side by side... but different values of current. Looking at one saber by itself it's really hard to see differences in power usage.