PDA

View Full Version : Help with backwards functioning LED on CF4

xoliilox
05-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I can't find any solution

I've wired up with the everything through the crystal focus, I've rechecked everything multiple times and everything works except: when the saber is not activated the LED is on and when the saber is activated, the LED seems to behave in reverse (power up dims the blade, power down lightens the blade, the blade is mostly dim/off and oscillates slightly brighter). I have a recharge kill port which at this point is the only way I can turn off the blade. Please help - I just spent all day setting this up and it's my first CF and I don't know what to do...

the saber is running a green K2 at 1500ma with 7.2v @ 2700mah

Thanks!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Check that your switch setting in the config file is set for the type of switch you have.

If you have a latching switch, it should be set to "1". If it's a momentary switch, it should be at "2".

I think that it comes from Erv with the setting on "0". This is the setting if you are using a normally closed switch that would turn on the saber when you break contact. It sounds like this is what's happening to you.

You have to go through and change it in the config files on all 6 fonts.

Novastar
05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Obi-Dar is correct... and... here are some helpful reminders (straight from my new Compendium CD):

------------------
SWITCH polarity...
------------------

0 = Latching On/Off (normally open)
1 = Latching On/Off (normally closed)
2 = Momentary On/Off

My guess is... if your setting are at "switch=0"... set it to "switch=1".

Incidentally... with latching SLIDE switches, you can also simply reverse the way the switch mounts. :)

In the case of my Flange III sabers... I ALSO found that mounting the latching switch in a particular way made the saber's on/off sequences function MUCH better, as the switch I use is "more sensitive" to one way than the other...

In other words... if you BARELY touch it in one direction... it changes (opening or closing) VERY quickly. Touchy and sensitive, ya know???

However... on the OTHER side... it changes (opening or closing) only once the switch has FULLY reached the position on the other side. If that makes any sense.

Anyhow... if you're still with me... what I found most useful is to have the saber sensitive to POWER ON... not power off. That way... even if you BAAAARRRELLY touch the switch... it will not "cycle" on/off... which can get irritating. :)

Additionally, the "offprotect" option I suggested to Erv (implemented by on v2.5 or v2.61) eliminates the concern of this almost entirely.

Sorry for all the "extra" info, but... believe me--it's needed for my concerns... and certainly helps everyone else indirectly--WAAAY fewer accidental shut-offs or "switch blips", heheh.

eastern57
05-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm sure you connected everything correctly, and it sounds like you've done your home work...

... but if the LED is ALWAYS on, regardless of the sound sequence, then it might be time to e-mail Erv and get some expert guidance.

jpbeck
05-31-2008, 09:20 AM
It's not the switch-- I have a momentary switch on all three of mine. I tried to help the guy out by trouble shooting using mine- -I set the switch setting to 0, and 1 and all it did was act like a dead man's switch (as soon as I took my finger off it'd die). Besides that-- he said over at FX that he'd dumped the sd card and re installed all the fonts.

The problem seems to be either in the wiring or a hardware issue.

Time to email Erv.

Novastar
05-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok, ok I see... he's saying:

* in the menu
* select a font...
* it loads... and suddenly, there is light (no sound) (!)
* he "switches on"... and the sound comes on... but the LIGHT fades out as a supposed "powerdown"
* he "switches off"... and the sound stops as expected... but the light FADES IN as a supposed "poweron".

If all of that is so... *YES*, it would seem Erv wired that backwards! hehehe :) Like Chewie wiring 3PO's head on backwards, hahahahha

vortextwist
05-31-2008, 08:35 PM
here's the vid man.
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/xoliilox/?action=view&current=P1160006.flv

and the thread it's in.
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=12502.0

eastern57
05-31-2008, 08:55 PM
hold one, xoliilox, where do you have your switches grounded? can you make a diagram of your wiring? or clarify how you have it? Just to make sure, that would suck if we just missed something obvious...

Novastar
06-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Ah. Now that I've seen the video--yes, the CF has an issue...

Just so you know-- I've told Erv and he should be in contact.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah. Sorry for my completely useless advice. Sounds like you have a serious problem.

I hope that with Erv's help, you can get it up and running. Keep us informed.

Angelus Lupus
06-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I'll probably get lynched for saying this.. but it looks like you need to reverse the polarity. :D

*hides*

Seriously tho, good luck. I'm sure erv' will know what to do.

vortextwist
06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
He seems to have bigger problem then that. Usually the board shuts off when the sd card comes out.

Novastar
06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
To confirm that... let me tell you all: I've worked with CF, sound and light settings enough to say...

...this is *NOT* a switch polarity issue that xilosllix has (sorry, I didn't look close enough to spell out the name).

Like I said before... Erv now knows and will be in contact.

MaverickJsmith
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
No advice is usless. You tried to help him out and that's what counts :D

xoliilox
06-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Just wanted to thank all of you for the help and novastar for contacting Erv'

Erv' has been working with me and it seems we'll find some sort of solution

It's funny that although I was really excited to to use the CF, and was initially disappointed, I'm now enjoying the educational/tinkering part of this experience

Cheers

BlackDOG
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Erv' is a class act......and I have been most impressed with his responsivness and even senso of humor. Far too often people get reduced to an "Avatar" meaning they are just an entity on a forum board and not really a person who gets sick, has a real job, or need a break from pesky curs like this ol' BlackDOG......

Thanks Erv, for all you have done to advance this obssession.

I am sure he will help correct whatever happened.

bd

xoliilox
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Erv' has ben great

A class act indeed

Novastar
07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Did this get resolved, Xoli?

Oh... and thanks for purchasing the CD... it's on its way!

timpo88m
07-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I had the EXACT same problem, however, after thinking about it thoroughly (thank God I didn't weld before testing everything), I realized that I had been connecting the LED to the board power hookups, and the power source to the LED hookups.

Edit: if you haven't already had this problem fixed, and you haven't tried that, I suggest switching them, just to see.