PDA

View Full Version : Knurling?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Tim, I was wondering if you could do knurling on MHS pieces.

I have a saber idea that would look good with a knurled grip.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd be interested in that too if it becomes available.

I'm wondering if knurling was done to a powdercoated piece would it strip off the powdercoat? i.e. if one wanted the knurled area itself to be silver against coloured areas [like is shown with the silver grooves on colour in some powdercoat hilt pictures] would you powdercoat the rest of the section first then knurl for a silver knurled area? Conversely if you wanted the knurled area to be same colour as the powdercoated areas would you knurl first then powdercoat?

acerocket
05-29-2008, 06:21 AM
I'd be interested in that too if it becomes available.

I'm wondering if knurling was done to a powdercoated piece would it strip off the powdercoat? i.e. if one wanted the knurled area itself to be silver against coloured areas [like is shown with the silver grooves on colour in some powdercoat hilt pictures] would you powdercoat the rest of the section first then knurl for a silver knurled area? Conversely if you wanted the knurled area to be same colour as the powdercoated areas would you knurl first then powdercoat?

Knurling is typically done with what are called form tools. That is, they actually displace metal as they work to form the knurling pattern. So they would absolutelty destroy any powdercoating applied before the knurling is done. I think in both cases, you would powdercoat after the knurling was done.

SaberGirl
05-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Tim would like to offer that service soon...

so not yet. but probably in the future :)

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks Acerocket

Thanks Sabergirl

:-)

*back to drawing board again*

Draconis Magnus
05-31-2008, 06:26 AM
Tim would like to offer that service soon...

so not yet. but probably in the future :)

Niceeeeeee.... opens up a lot of posibilities!!