PDA

View Full Version : New Design, New Builder...

Voice
05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I've decided to go ahead and build my first custom saber. I've got the design worked out, just substitute MPS Pommel 1 in the attached image.

I've got the following parts in mind:
MPS Pommel 1
MPS Insert 6
MPS Clip
Hilt 4
Ribbed Extension
Emitter 4
36" Corbin-style Battle Blade
O-Rings (6 green, 2 black)

I'm going without the electronics at first, but I'm going to add them later.
Any good source of sound boards these days? I'm on the interest list for the UltraSound v2, but there hasn't been any news on that for a while.

If I go with the Build-Your-Own Lux3 kit, do I need the Luxeon 3w driver V2? If not, what does it replace in the BYO kit?

Any little bits that I've missed? (screws, etc. that don't come with what they're used to secure?

MaverickJsmith
05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
The electronics kit gives you everything you need to make a lighted saber. You don't need the driver board. The driver board gives you lighting effects like power up and down, and blade shimmer I believe. So it's optional.

I hope I helped 8)

Maverick

Voice
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Ok that's what I suspected. Is the driver board a straight add-on, or does it replace some part of the kit?

Oh, and one other question. I've seen a few yellow blades that appear to be *really* bright. How do you get them. White with a yellow filter, or do you get better mileage starting from amber?

BhujangiJedi
05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
If they appear to be really bright, it's just a trick of photography.

From what I've seen on the boards, it looks like the best setup for bright yellow (while keeping it relatively simple) is a Seoul P4 white (not currently sold by TCSS, available elsewhere - dealextreme) with a yellow filter.

The amber LEDs give a different color... amber/orange-ish. Which explains why they're called amber instead of yellow. They're also not nearly as bright as others, like red, green, blue.

Search the forums on amber if you're interested - there's been plenty of discussion.

DarthFender
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok that's what I suspected. Is the driver board a straight add-on, or does it replace some part of the kit?

Oh, and one other question. I've seen a few yellow blades that appear to be *really* bright. How do you get them. White with a yellow filter, or do you get better mileage starting from amber?

If you use the driver board, you will not need the resistor that comes with the kit. Just make sure you get the latching version of the driver, or make sure your kit comes with a momentary switch. (I would use a latching setup so it will be compatible if you want to add a MR soundboard later.)

If you got a radio shack near you, they may still have the MR SW-616 Lightsaber construction kit. They currently are on clearance for 35 bucks (US) and are a great source for sound.

Voice
05-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check the one in my neighborhood. For $35, I certainly won't mind tearing it apart.

As for the really bright yellow, DARTH KALEL is the one I'd seen, and I just found his post where he describes what he used, so I've got a good place to start. P4, and two sets of light yellow and amber filters.

Voice
05-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I've had a thought about getting a good yellow. Having seen the modification to the MR construction kit lightsaber so it can power the 3 colors independently, I'm wondering if an RGB LED might not be the better route for getting a good yellow. Heck, I'm not even looking to make it changeable on the fly, so that should simplify things a bit.

Looking for input so I waste as little money as possible to get the best result I can.

Arm on Fire
05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
You really cant go wrong buying it for $35, if the modification dosnt work out you can still use the sound board in another saber. next to a hasbro, I dont know where to find sound for that price. Not to mention there are a few other parts in that kit that could be used fo othe sabers as well :)

Voice
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Any idea how the LED in the MR construction kit stacks up, brightness wise, compared to say a Seoul P4 with yellow filters?

Er Dan Gill
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
No comparison, the P4 will blow it out of the water.

xl97
05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
thats for sure,...@ $35 a pop.. the sound board ALONG is worth IMHO.. what else you gonna use? They are loud and better than any Hasbro I have seen...

some of other parts are metal and can be modified, and other parts are better yet. :)

Voice
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I kind of expected that. I guess I was hoping that with driving both red & green I might get close to the P4 + filters.

I'm trying to track down a second kit so I can claim the sound board, but I'm not having much luck yet.

Edit:
Just bit the bullet and ordered my hilt pieces. I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I can add the blade and electronics to that.