PDA

View Full Version : My first MHS idea!

Draconis Magnus
05-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey All,

Well I finally broke down and decided to think of an MHS lightsaber design. I'm not sure if this will work, but would like some feedback if the construction is possible. Here's what I'm planning:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/draconismagnus/MHS_design1.jpg

And here's the layout of how I'm planning on building it:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/draconismagnus/MHS_design1_layout.jpg

Will that work how I have the 1.5" pipe over the 2 sink adapters that are connected with the 1.25" sink pipe? The hard part I was thinking is getting a pvc pipe that will fit around a 1.25" pipe but has an the outer diameter that a 1.5" pipe can go over. Hmmm... anyway.. let me know what you think of the design and if it's doable. Thanks!

SWAT Strachan
05-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Looks very good to me, and I think it would be entirely feasible to build using MHS parts... But I think the internal space will be pretty narrow, you might have trouble fitting a sound card and batteries in there.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute though to prove me completely wrong :mrgreen:.

Jonitus
05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
For your PVC, I would recommend using 1.25" plastic sinktube and splitting it down the middle. You can then get it over the brass sinktube and it will be on there quite firmly and you will be able to put your 1.5" sinktube shroud over it no problems.

I've used this method many times in the past and it works great.

For room, you look to have more than adequate room for just about anything you want to throw in it, depending on how you lay it out.

Hasid Lafre
05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
You will have loads of space for batteries and sound card, its kind alike a desigh ive seen round here a couple times.

Tom Starkiller
05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Ha, I thought of doing an Obi style grip similar to that, just not for MHS.

Looks cool.

Vazan Maceu
05-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Hmm, I think thatīs a really interesting concept. Looks very good, although Iīm not a very big fan of blade holder style #3, but the idea of using different sink tubes and MHS is nice. Canīt wait to see it built :)

chase
05-27-2008, 06:51 AM
It looks very long...Good concept though.

Draconis Magnus
05-27-2008, 07:18 AM
For your PVC, I would recommend using 1.25" plastic sinktube and splitting it down the middle. You can then get it over the brass sinktube and it will be on there quite firmly and you will be able to put your 1.5" sinktube shroud over it no problems.

Thanks all for the comments... and thanks Jonitus for this idea! I knew someone had an answer here! Now, I'll put in my order in within the next week or so... hmmmm, as for the sound card, maybe I'll gut out the 616 I got for 35 bucks from Radio Shack until I can get a CF board (crosses fingers).

sekrogue1985
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
very very nice I like it

only suggestion is to replace those thumb screws with button head screws cause if you are planning to duel whatever those thumb screws will get in the way. personal story not wise to have something sticking up like that it'll hurt.

B5813
05-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I just did a copy of a hilt Darkhelmet did a while back which used a 1.25" tube with the sink tube adapters on both ends. My only warning for you to keep in mind is that it's a very tight fit for the 1.25" going inside those adapters.... VERY TIGHT!! I sanded off a bit of material on both ends of the smaller tube and still had to pound each adapter on with a block of wood and hammer. Either sand enough material off one end to be able to easily slide it in and out of one of the adapters or slide on the PVC handle piece before mating both ends of the 1.25" tube with the adapters.

Count Malik
05-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Little long... But hey it's a custom right.:p But lookin good!:cool:

MaverickJsmith
05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Very nice use of parts available. Well thought out too.

As for using PVC piping for the grips, I used to make sabers out of 1 inch schedule 40 (that's 1/8th inch thick) PVC piping. Dremel with a drill press mount = manual saber lathe :D

PVC is very workable for sabers. Try it sometime :D

I hope your design works out 8)

Maverick

DDanDevious
05-28-2008, 06:35 AM
I think it will be sweet... make sure to post pics of your progress as you begin work!

DDD

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Nice design. I like it!

That setup with the 1.25" tube on the inside, and the 1.5" on the outside of the adapters is pretty much what I have in my brass saber. The only difference is that I cut half the 1.25" tube out to make a tray, and made the outer sleeve to come off.

I can attest that there is tons of room inside. You should be able to put a 4AA battery holder in there.