PDA

View Full Version : My saber finally has sound

thornwolf
05-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I was able to fit the entire sound card assesmbly in the hilt today and was very happy with the results. Thanks everyone for all the help.

You can check it out at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIRvLqGX5I

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KxDYvVwh9E

Count Malik
05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Cool!, not bad for your first saber. Looks clean!:cool:

thornwolf
05-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks,

Since I put this one together I've put together a few other more complex ones as gifts for family and friends. However I am very partial to this one. I like my sabers as well as the swords I collect to have nice clean lines and I find beauty in functional simplicity. Just as I liked Aragorn's ranger sword the best of all the LOTR swords, I love my saber for the very same reason. You can get to a point where you make a weapon so ornate that you compromise it's effectiveness.

MaverickJsmith
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Nice setup there Thornwolf, I'll bet she has nice leverage because of her length :D

Leverage = Control in a sword lock (waits for Novastar to come over and let me have it :D)

Maverick 8)

thornwolf
05-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Yes, the "leverage" is really good with the saber. Its 12.2 inches long, which is about an inch more than some of my MR sabers. Although I was originally concerned about the length, it proved to be more advantageous than I planned. With most sabers I really can't get a good two handed grip without a clamp or switch getting in the way. On mine, I place my right hand on the ribbed extension and the left on the grips, avoiding the switch.

With the longer length, you do get a more force when striking or locking up a blade, but at the sacrifice of some quickness. Being a larger guy than a lot of my opponents, I use more of a heavy chopping saber style and use my arm strength to knock the person backward. Since I am still learning some finese, the saber's "leverage" is a definte plus to someone who relies on physically overpowering their opponents.

MaverickJsmith
05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Sounds like "red style" from Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy :wink:

Novastar
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice setup there Thornwolf, I'll bet she has nice leverage because of her length :D

Leverage = Control in a sword lock (waits for Novastar to come over and let me have it :D)

Maverick 8)Why would I have an issue with leverage? :) The entire point of a lever is just that the "balancing" point is where you want it for your own purposes. Meaning, it doesn't matter about the length of the lever (to a point, I mean duh, a saber that is 20" isn't going to be any kind of lever) so long as the fulcrum is in the place that you need FOR such leverage. :)

But... nice work on the saber, Thorn!