PDA

View Full Version : New builder question

Darth Chuck
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok I've made a couple things on my own that glow from stuff at like Lowe's and doing my own soldering and things like that. I figure I'm gonna buy a hilt setup from the site at some point and i'll need the LED light, viewing angle, buck puck 700, luxeon lll/V lens, and the screw on LED blade holder.

My main question is when i put the tube into the blade holder, i'm sure it will be a snug fit to start with, but what will I need to do exactly to secure the blade itself to the hilt, as well as how does the LED get held tightly inside the hilt.

Oh and I'm planning on using 9v battery becuase I used that on a previous mock I've made at home and it powers my EL wire just fine for as little as I use the power on it.

Yeah and a side question, why cant I buy a red LED light? I'm looked on the forums here for the answers to these questions and just haven't found anything clear enough for me to fully understand. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Strydur
05-22-2008, 10:32 PM
You need a blade retention screw. Either a thumb screw or set screw and you will need to drill and tap a hole for it in the blade holder or purchase that service when you order it.

Red is out of stock at the moment so its not listed.

Darth Chuck
05-23-2008, 09:09 PM
thanks, so will I need to order that separate on the site or what? Also if I order the service to drill the hole for me (being that i have no real power tools) can I buy something like the screws that are for looks only to cover up the hole easily from the site and does it need to be any certain size?

I didn't even see the services options, was curious about the powder coating, if I wanted like the blade holder and pommel done would that still be one charge since they'd be same color?

I think this is my absolute last question, I like the flat buttons on the site, I want one that I press once and it stays on, press again and it stays off, is this momentary or latching, i cant figure it out. But will the button I order fit into the hilt just fine or does that need to be drilled or anything special done to it?

sorry to be a bother, but this is my first time ordering.

eastern57
05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
For the mini tactile switches, those are only momentary. They're not too easy to mount: it will require planning first, then probably cutting a hole, and of course, finding a way to hold it in place. Easy way to remember switches: momentary, only on for the "moment" you have your finger on it; latching, think of "latching a door open", stays on until you turn it off.

LEDs are mounted on a heatsink. Those come with the blade holders. They're easy to use. LED and EL set-ups have different power requirements, just fyi, might want to look into that.

You'd have to pay for each part you want powder coated. If you want only partial coverage of a single piece, you have to e-mail Strydur first for a quote. Store pliocy.

Screws are available. Pick out a style you like along with thread size and girth (e.g. 8-32, 10-32 etc.) and request that size hole from the service order. If you don't see what you want, it might be out of stock, or just head back to Lowe's. For blade retention screws, 8-32 and 10-32 work best. As for placement on the piece itself, check out the gallery and see what other people have done - there's tons of ideas out there...

Have fun :)

Darth Chuck
05-24-2008, 01:52 AM
I guess since they aren't in stock is it possible to get the red LED from another place? I'm wanting straight up RED, so I'm guessing that's the Red Lux III? I looked on the resistor chart so what's that mean as far as power supply? what's ideal that's not too costly? I don't wanna do a rechargeable battery pack.

Do I send messages to Tim through the message boards about ordering information and stuff?

eastern57
05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I guess since they aren't in stock is it possible to get the red LED from another place? I'm wanting straight up RED, so I'm guessing that's the Red Lux III? I looked on the resistor chart so what's that mean as far as power supply? what's ideal that's not too costly? I don't wanna do a rechargeable battery pack.

Do I send messages to Tim through the message boards about ordering information and stuff?

No. For custom orders use E-mail. sales@thecustomsabershop.com

red LED
http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=1770&link_str=196::198&partno=LXHL-LD3C

take a second to figure the chart out, it's self-explanatory.

Same with the rest of the forum. You're coming off incredibly noobish, but it's understandable :) no offense. Take some time to read the forums all these question will be answered, and you'll want to have the background know-how before you start.

again, have fun and good luck :)

Darth Chuck
05-24-2008, 11:16 PM
I totally understand that I am a noob at this right now. I dont take that to offense when it's true. It's just when I read some of the stuff on the forums it's all words and some things aren't in pictures or I cant find them so it's hard for me to understand some of it is all. Thanks though for being understanding.

Drichar Deis
05-25-2008, 03:12 AM
I totally understand that I am a noob at this right now. I dont take that to offense when it's true. It's just when I read some of the stuff on the forums it's all words and some things aren't in pictures or I cant find them so it's hard for me to understand some of it is all. Thanks though for being understanding.

I can relate, Ive been on here months, and I still ask "noob" questions.

eastern57
05-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I can relate, Ive been on here months, and I still ask "noob" questions.

Like "How do I make a PINK blade?" That's not noob, that's just funny...

DarthFender
05-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I made a pink saber for Lady Fender. Hilt is pink and chrome with a pink blade. I drew the line when she wanted me to put Hello Kitty on it. Ha ha ha.

Drichar Deis
05-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Like "How do I make a PINK blade?" That's not noob, that's just funny...

Smeg-head!

Ha ha!

Count Malik
05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
HaHa.That made me giggle!:D