PDA

View Full Version : Insanly dumb question for the UK members.

Klaatu
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Ok. This came to mind as a left Denny's the other night... (no i was not drunk)

You all over the pond call "French Fries" "Chips" which then begs the question what do you guys call Chips?

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
man this is a good one.. sits waiting to hear..

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty sure they call them crisps, but I might be wrong.

Barmic Rin
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Crisps.

Simple really. You sure you weren't drunk? From what I hear, you need some alcohol in your system to wanna eat at Denny's.....

Darth Leximus
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
It's crisps according to all the UK residents I know

And yes Barmic you definately should have some spirits and/or herbs in you to eat at Dennys

SWAT Strachan
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
*adopts slightly imperialistic overtone*

Well sir, we, the denizens of Great Britain speaketh the Queen's English, and as such what you erroneously call 'fries' are actually called 'chips', and the thinly sliced potato snacks which you term 'chips' are in fact 'crisps'.

Still after the ingratitude you displayed by throwing our finest tea overboard during that Boston debarkle, we decided that you would be better off governing yourselves. Although in hindsight, that may have been a mistake on our part, after all you did elect Bush to run the country :mrgreen: ;).

Barmic Rin
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
So, the rumours were true...... LOL!!!

Any of you guys ever come over here, it's the same situation at 'Harvesters.'

Darth Leximus
05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
LOL I'll keep that in mind, the wife and I are planning a trip sometime in the near future.

Harversters = Dennys = NO!

and SWAT I would almost be willing to be recolonized after the last 7 and a half years!

Barmic Rin
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
For Queens' sake SWAT!! You weren't supposed to be leaking our recolonisation plans just yet!

No Sheperds pie for you!!

Darth Leximus
05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
you guys should go ahead and invade, Bush would probably end up blaming it on Sweden or somewhere and bombing the crap out of them.

Klaatu
05-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I was not on any herbs or booze. I dont drink any more (im gettin to old for that) and i only smoke cigaretts and cigars. I do enjoy Denny's from time to time.

Barmic Rin
05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, after the whole Bush/Blair bumchuminess, I guess we couldn't be blamed.

I've never really liked your neighbours upstairs.... They're too quiet!!!!! LOL!!!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Personally, I prefer the term, "reserved".;)

DarthFender
05-20-2008, 08:25 AM
I though I had an uncle that was "reserved". It was actually a coma. But we all liked him better that way.

Tom Starkiller
05-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Still after the ingratitude you displayed by throwing our finest tea overboard during that Boston debarkle, we decided that you would be better off governing yourselves. Although in hindsight, that may have been a mistake on our part, after all you did elect Bush to run the country :mrgreen: ;).

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Ghostbat
05-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Growing up on the Young Ones, Eastenders, and Dr Who I tend to use 'Crisps' as well much to the confusion of whoever I may be trying to buy them from.

It's also a little mental Click whenever I am offered "Chips or fries?" with my sandwich.

Mi Gin Gonn
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
You all over the pond call "French Fries" "Chips" which then begs the question what do you guys call Chips?

well, I dunno, but the U.S. gov't insists on calling french fries "freedom fries." talk about phony post-9/11 patriosm gone WAY too far.

Drichar Deis
05-20-2008, 12:36 PM
French Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps
Cigarette = Fag
Tomato = Tomato

SWAT Strachan
05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
French Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps
Cigarette = Fag
Tomayto = TomaaahtoCorrected ;).

In addition, pants are worn under shorts. On no account should pants be worn over shorts unless your name is bleedin' Superman! :mrgreen:.

Tom Starkiller
05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Real Language. American version of real language. :P

Trousers......................Pants.
Pants..........................Whatever you call underwear.
Ala-min-e-um...............Aloooominum.
Zebra.........................Zeeeeeeee-bra
Tom Starkiller...............God

:P

Darth Leximus
05-20-2008, 01:19 PM
you forgot...Herbs : Erbs

virus692
05-20-2008, 02:16 PM
And I now have a reason.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/113

P.S This is a British atheist... You have been Warned.

SWAT Strachan
05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
And I now have a reason.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/113

P.S This is a British atheist... You have been Warned.Makes perfect sense to me :). I've always considered atheism to be another faith, because I believe that there is no God, I cannot prove that there is no God. Conversely a christian/jew/muslim/other believes that there is a God, but cannot prove it to be so.

So I do have faith, it just happens to be at the other end of the theological spectrum ;).

Klaatu
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Dont for get

Wrench = spanner .... or something. MY office has a few offices in the states and over in teh UK and one of the techs came out to tell us about some new hardware and was talkign abotu how he confuses ppl in teh states when he tells them to use a spanner.

SWAT Strachan
05-21-2008, 01:37 AM
I did experience one particular cultural faux pas back in my secondary school days (I was about 14 then). We had an American exchange student studying with us, I think she was called Liz. Anyway, during one English lesson she was sitting opposite me, and I innocently caught her attention and asked if she had a rubber I could use.

:shock: ← would be an accurate description of her expression. You see the problem was that in the UK, pencil erasers are called 'rubbers' :mrgreen:.

Angelus Lupus
05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Ha-ha, that's funny.
One word that always strikes me as rife for misunderstanding: fanny. Need I say more?

DDanDevious
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I could use some yorkie pudding right about now.

I love you wacky brits. I was deployed with the British Army a year ago... I pretty much laughed non stop. And for a US serviceman, Brit mens magazines are about the best thing ever since sliced bread. you know what im sayin. The brits rolled in with their chefs and replaced the US Army cooks, and I never ate so good in a war before.

DDD!

DarthFender
05-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Ha-ha, that's funny.
One word that always strikes me as rife for misunderstanding: fanny. Need I say more?

Ha ha ha. Don't put that rubber in my fanny pack!!

Anyways, I think I'll finish my crisps, take the lift down the ground floor, as I'm on the first floor, get in my Lory[sp] and, oh darn. I need to go to the loo/WC.

Am I forgetting any?

Tom Starkiller
05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
It's Yorkshire pudding. :P

You have a lorry?

http://www.petersandmay.com/siteimages/large/lorry.jpg

DarthFender
05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
No, but I can readily get one. Here in the sates that called a camion!
[That's a spanish joke]

Ha ha ha