PDA

View Full Version : HELP needed please

ArkaiHalon
05-17-2008, 06:41 AM
I have a vader sound board I put in a friends saber.
It worked AWESOME until the recharge port broke. How he did it, I dunno.

When I replaced the port, the board still drives the LED perfect, but the sound is next to nonexistant. If i put one of my speakers directly to my ear, I can hear the sound. His speaker doesn't do squat, but works fine in my saber.

HELP

morpheus1977
05-17-2008, 08:20 AM
loose connections mabey???

Novastar
05-18-2008, 02:13 AM
The audio amp on the board could have been zapped... but... it's hard to say with any certainty right now.

Try some different speakers, and if they all produce the same result... you've ruled the speaker out...

Try different batteries... even an entirely different style pack if you wish... if same, you ruled THEM out...

etc.

Also--how was your charge port setup? Did it kill current to the board during a charge?

ArkaiHalon
05-18-2008, 04:54 AM
the speaker in question works on other boards

charge port is set up to be a kill switch, and appears to work just fine

board is still powering LED

If it is the amp, is it fixable?
Or do I need to just get a new board?

Novastar
05-19-2008, 02:36 AM
I would imagine that it COULD be repairable, since it sounds that you are saying everything else seems to function OK? If it is the audio amp and it is a SEPARATE part on the board (I don't know), it could be de-soldered and another added in its place. But you know... it could be a capacitor is loose or... many things.

So... it's pretty tough to tell from "so far away" what the heck is truly wrong.

Did you try differing battery packs and such? Just to rule "easy things" out.

Jay-gon Jinn
05-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I am having the same issue with an anakin board, and have been in contact with Darth Morbius concerning it's repair. He says it is possibly the transistor...right next to the center capacitor that is probably bad. It is fixable, but you'd have to know exactly what transistor MR used on the board.....he suggested using a non-functioning board as a donor and trying to use the transistor from that to fix it...other wise, it's very difficult to get the correct resistor.

ArkaiHalon
05-19-2008, 06:02 PM
unfortunately, I don' thave another vader board handy (otherwise i'd just put that in instead). I'm gonna have to talk to my friend to see what he wants to do, but with the current markdown on the 616, we may just put that in instead.

Novastar
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Exactly... unfortunately, MRFX isn't "as worth" attempting repair vs. something like CF.

But I will say... even if the resistor/transistor isn't a *PERFECT* match... it would probably do its job.

In most cases, resistors and transistors and caps, etc. that are sold do indeed have variance. NONE of them are identical even if they BOTH DO say "1/2 watt 2.4 ohm" for example. Measure them! You'll find some variance. Grayven was reporting exactly that same thing to everyone, which is not surprising, since imagine if you measure the current coming from an MR after all is said and done... we've gone through 10 resistors... done this, done that... traveled through this wire... that cap...

...so no WONDER the boards will have a varied current. :)

Also... if the board is not working in a way that will be feasible AT ALL... there is no harm in playing around with the board since--it's already not working. The worst that could happen is: you could learn more, or the board could stop working in totality.

:) Good luck! I understand how you feel... I've "lost" a few MRs over the years... never been sure why on a few of 'em.