PDA

View Full Version : Led optic security

sithmaster
02-25-2006, 10:55 AM
What info do you have about the potential danger of these ultra bright leds ?

I know lumileds has classified its blue leds Luxeon V in class 2.

Does the star III represents the same danger as a star V or a laser ?

What's your experience with these leds and what protection process do you use ?

Strydur
02-25-2006, 11:04 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">what protection process do you use<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We tell people not to stare at the LED when there is no diffuser over it[B)]

With a properly diffused blade there is no danger.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

sithmaster
02-25-2006, 11:46 AM
It is easy to understand one must not stare.....but is a simple glance dangerous ?

What a good diffuser mean for you ? I know your is good but is a simple sanding OK ?

Does the use of your diffuser imply to sand the blade too or is it optional ?

WeirdoTransvestite
02-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Probably no more dangerous than a simple glance at the sun.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
HK-47: Extrapolation: 98% probability the miniature organic's [Jawa] tribe has been captured by the sand people and he wants us to mount a rescue. Revan: What about the other 2%? HK-47: Explanation: 2% probability that the miniature organic meatbag is just looking for trouble and wants us to blast him, although this may just be wishful thinking on my part, master. -Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

bazuka
02-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I own a SureFire L4 Lumamax flashlight with a 5w white LED in it. It is ASTOUNDINGLY bright with the reflector that's in there. If you do look straight into it, you will see the same sort of effect you see when you look at the sun. I personally haven't seen the 3w myself, but I know I wouldn't look at the flashlight, even in the white color again.

supertrogdor
02-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Beautiful banter from Knights of the old Republic Weirdo, but I'll add my 2 cents worth and add that if you like phosphenes take a peek at your luxeon, but really don't do that as they are really stinking bright. I will concur that it is no worse than a brief glance at the sun, or akin to having some dork get you with a laser pointer. The eyes natural reaction is to look away or blink until it stops. The full size organic meatbag body that we strut around in is rather smart, and will cue us in on what we ought to do if we will listen.
cheers

Madcow
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I 've got a blue 3w and it is bright, but no danger... not like with a lazer.

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg
You want to go home and re-think your life