PDA

View Full Version : My news MHS saber 'Halcyon'

Graphixa
05-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this board for about 3 months now soaking up everything I needed to know to build a kickass saber like some of the incredible ones you guy's are posting.

So after a lot of hard work, time and money (:razz:) here is my first attempt "Halcyon".

I'd like to give a massive thankyou out to Daren at JQ lightsabers here in the UK for the custom machining and advice.

Some details:

Blue Luxeon K2 running off a CF3.1
Custom machined switch assembly holding ignition and auxiliary switch
Ignition switch LED tied in with luxeon for shimmer / ignition / retraction effect
Force feedback motor
2.1mm white EL wire embedded into hilt grip area
Black rayskin grips
Custom made kill switch
3x accent LED's and low battery LED (in pommel with recharge port)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/Graphixa/halcyon1.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/Graphixa/halcyon2.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/Graphixa/halcyon3.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/Graphixa/halcyon4.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/Graphixa/halcyon5.jpg

I'd love some feedback so please feel free to comment.

I've been bitten by the bug, and I'm now moving onto a curved hilt Asajj Ventress style!

jedi/storm
05-15-2008, 04:35 AM
That is one of the nicest,cleanest sabers ive seen on here Do Clo is doing mine at the mo and hope it turns out as nice as that excellent work ;-)

Dark Navel
05-15-2008, 05:05 AM
As stated, nice clean design. Very elegant. sleek and gorgeous, NICE!

Leigh
05-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Very very nice! I bet your well pleased with that

xl97
05-15-2008, 05:36 AM
button placement is top notch..

it totally adds to the workability of the saber.. like it s a real working piece.. not just bling

ArkaiHalon
05-15-2008, 05:51 AM
<jedi mind trick>

you will send the saber to me
<\jedi mind trick>

Thats a sweet piece of work. Love the buttons/activator panel.

Graphixa
05-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone :p

Leigh you have no idea how happy I am with this - my grin goes from ear to ear ;)

SWAT Strachan
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I recognise that saber, Daren sent some photos of it to me to demonstrate what could be done when I was ordering my own. I have to say it's a beauty! The photos I have are just 'work in progress' ones, but the finished article is simply stunning. Good work fella ;).

sekrogue1985
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
I love the switch set up and the coloring on the hilt set up

Malaki Skywalker
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
That is one sweet saber! Daren has got style when it comes to modding MHS pieces :cool:

37H4N
05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow that saber is nice! Love the ray skin and especially all the purdy lights! I really like the one at the top it looks really nice.

Overall, nice, comfortable, and cool. 8)

xl97
05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
are those the illuminated vandal switches?

strengthofrage
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Very nice :)

Stinky Bantha
05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Beautiful saber. So clean! The el wire in the grips is a nice touch as well. I've been looking for a decent price for some switches like those. Care to say where you got them?

BhujangiJedi
05-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow! Really nice saber! Amazing what you can do with MHS parts and a little extra work. The buttons are beautiful and the EL wire in the hilt is a really nice effect, while being skillfully embedded in grooves so it doesn't disturb the surface of the hilt.

Graphixa
05-16-2008, 02:27 AM
As there pictures were my first posting here I was really nervous at the reception I'd get but I shouldn't have worried :) Thanks for all the praise guys its a real boost!

My whole concept for this saber was something that would be comfortable to hold, clean and simple. I personally am not a fan of things like the graflex clamp as although it adds interest to a saber I think it makes it less 'useable', depending upon placement.

@xl97 - yup the ignition switch is a Bulgin vandal resistant switch, and in fact the whole saber was designed around it. This may beome my 'trademark' in building sabers.

@SWAT - Daren is a real gent, he helped me no end to realise my vision, and he is now helping with my next project.

Cheers,

Lee.
AKA Graphixa

jamesjeffh
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
You can buy switches like that off of ebay from a seller called Hongkongsuperseller who has a store called PARTSPIPE he sells them either single or 3 for 24 bucks with the ring or dot illuminated in most colors and ships VERY fast

B5813
05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The activator box/platform is an especially nice setup.

SWAT Strachan
05-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Lee, would you mind if I 'borrowed' your activation box design for a plan I've just worked on? I was rather inspired by your use of EL wire in the hilt, and it gave me an idea for a stunt saber (I could use one without sound for practice). If you want to keep it as a trademark no problem, I'll just set the button straight in to the hilt instead :).

This is the idea I have...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/swat.strachan/sabers/Design21.jpg

When I saw the EL wire in your hilt grooves, I thought about using red wire, and a cut-down sink tube to make it look like the saber has overheated and melted through the tube. Once I finished the picture I started getting the 'building bug' :mrgreen:, but not without your permission to blatantly plagiarise your switch box design ;).

Hasid Lafre
05-16-2008, 03:27 PM
if you want to get tetnical jedi ranger a member here pioneared the elwire in grips on mhs sabers.

JasonEuc
07-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Who made the switch box? That I just love. The buttons are still a bit large, but with your switch box they look much more in proportion to the rest of the saber.

Graphixa
07-22-2008, 03:58 AM
They were made by JQ lightsabers from my specs and design. Darren (at JQ) and myself are kind of teaming up to create MHS addon bits and bobs - the button assembly bit being one of the first.

N.B. we are in no way trying to compete with Tim, just looking at bits that will compliment his superb MHS designs.

Treadingwolf
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know how i missed this one, but i gotta say this is one of the most beautiful MHS sabers i have ever seen. Very well done!

Lord Dottore Matto
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know how i missed this one, but i gotta say this is one of the most beautiful MHS sabers i have ever seen. Very well done!

I totally agree! That is the best MHS "first try" that I have seen!:p

FenderBender
07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Geezus, thats awesome. How long is it? looks like it reaches the 14-15" range. Any plans for sound?

Barmic Rin
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
They were made by JQ lightsabers from my specs and design. Darren (at JQ) and myself are kind of teaming up to create MHS addon bits and bobs - the button assembly bit being one of the first.

N.B. we are in no way trying to compete with Tim, just looking at bits that will compliment his superb MHS designs.

Well, since Daren is doing a grand job of promoting MHS this side of the pond, I doubt Tim sees it as competition.

Besides, a number of people on here sell MHS made parts. So long as no one claims to be the creator of MHS besides Tim, we are all friends.

I Myself will be grabbing afew bits from him soon.

BTW, HOW DID I MISS THIS ONE!!!!!!!! IT'S CRACKIN!!!!

Graf, please tell me you're coming to the Shindig??!!!

claihmsolais
07-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, I was actually considering commissioning Daren at JQ to do some custom machining for me, since I don't have access to a machine shop right now, but I figured since he's UK-based it'd be a bit pricey to ship to the US, but I'm seriously reconsidering.

Congratulations on an awesome saber, I absolutely love the looks of it!

Barmic Rin
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Tim does custom work. So do some others your side of the pond.

benny
07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
that is awesome, very nice & clean.

eastern57
07-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Geezus, thats awesome. How long is it? looks like it reaches the 14-15" range. Any plans for sound?

Dude :confused: ... it's got a Crystal Focus Saber Core!

Graphixa
07-24-2008, 01:47 AM
He-he Eastern is right, its saber cored, and boy does it rock!

The length is about 13 inches long, but that suits me fine as the idea was to have a two handed saber, but this means I get a massive acoustic chamber for the speaker so it is seriously loud.

Sorry Barmic I can't make the Shindig, its around the time of my wifes birthday and she will crucify me if I swapped cuddly teddy bears, love hearts, and a romantic meal out, for sabers and running around like a madman :lol:

Cheers,

Graf

FenderBender
07-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Dude :confused: ... it's got a Crystal Focus Saber Core!

Sorry, I was distracted by pretty pictures widdle wordies mean nothing:mrgreen: Must have missed that part.

Edit: Ah, I see now, CF3.1, yes well that didn't register with me right away as Im still picking up on abbreviations and lingo.