PDA

View Full Version : To owners of more than one L.E.D. sabers

desertscorpion
02-25-2006, 09:24 AM
I was wondering if any of you guys who own multiple led sabers have a favorite color. Especially, did any of you originally think you would like one color, say blue or red and, after making multiple sabers found out that you actually liked a different color the best like pink or whatever. Or did any of you go from liking a color to absolutely loving it once you made you saber. I guess, technically this would also include people with one saber and the color discs. I just feel that the opinion of people who put in the time/money for a few of these sabers carries more weight, maybe. The reason I'm asking is that I'm getting ready to dump whatever it takes into making the baddest saber I can, and I find that some of the non-traditional colors that are even considered heresy by some look awesome. Especially, I noticed the amber ones (which look like a golden yellow to me) and the red-orange ones just look wicked. And I'd prefer to go with colored leds to the discs...I think. So, I'm trying to make up my mind. Thanks, in advance.

The Plague
02-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I have blue, amber, and red orange led sabers. To me the blue was dissapointing and the ambee was orange. but the red-orange came out beautifuly.
hope this helps[;)]

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

Madcow
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I've used white, red/orange, blue, green, royal blue and red (All Luxeon stars). So far the most impressive have been the reds, and royal blue. I wil tell you that the colour LED's are far beter than white through a colour filter. I've also noticed that sometimes 2 of the same colour have subtle differences. I have 2 green LED's and one is definitely more lime.

Good Luck,
MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

LAN-ED-TUL
02-25-2006, 08:45 PM
so far, i have a vader red/orange, a lukes blue, and a great saber red. i havent had a chance to see what the red looks like as that saber isnt finished yet. as far as brightness goes, that red/orange vader is way bright.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

The Plague
02-26-2006, 11:52 AM
yes to Lan and madcow you listen.

Protein5000
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
You know in the LED blade pics and general pics of peoples LED blades, they look extremely bright and VERY impressive. I was wondering how much the camera embelishes the brightness and look of the blade as I have never actually seen one. Are they still that impressive in person?

Less talk, more action........

Strydur
02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
WAY more impressive.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Madcow
02-26-2006, 06:11 PM
The camera can certainly make them look better.

I have only a one watt Luxeon in this saber, and the pic looks fantastic. Less impressive in real life though. I will be upgrading to a 3 watt.
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/Polycarb%20saber%20blade.JPG

MC

The Plague
02-26-2006, 06:36 PM
yes the camera does embelish the saber, they are brighter than fx though.

Protein5000
02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Protein5000

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

WAY more impressive.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

EXCELLENT!! I didn't want to be let down after seeing all those pics but it doesn't sound like I will be!

Less talk, more action........<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LAN-ED-TUL
02-26-2006, 08:13 PM
oh yeah, the camera makes them look far brighter, look at the pic i posted in pics section of my vader heiland with the red/orange led. that sucker on camera looks like a comet streaking. but in reality, it is still bright and it lights up a small room with a reddish glow

supertrogdor
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I think it also depends on how you make your blade. While I have not personally tried Tim's diffuser, though I plan to get one on my next order, I found distinct differences with different methods of blade construction. You also must consider that personal preference does play a role in evaluation. I tried several methods discussed within the forums, and some were rather dissapointing in my opinion, but that is half the fun of this kind of project. Trying stuff out to see what works best for your personal preference. So take humble and biased opinions with a grain of salt, and try what you think makes the most sense to you once gaining as much information as possible.
With that disclaimer my humble and biased opinions say that frosting the tube with a multifereous trammel worth of inner diffusing/reflecting/refracting methods proved less than desirable. I did not like the shrink wrap found at michaels craft store in any variety of buffed, abraised, or sanded, in a variety of lengths from the entire roll to just a couple feet.
The best option i have YET found is similar to Gelu's method, however I went to a florist shop and they gave me 4 yards of clear celophane for one Dollar. Notice the emphasis on YET as i have several other things to try still. I don't claim, by any means, to be the best, or professional, or any of the like at building sabers, but I firmly believe in doing what works best for you. You can take that a step further in a life lesson and apply it to far more that light sabers if you so desire, but that is a discussion for another day
cheers

desertscorpion
02-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks, to all. I will continue to check this thread. It's good to hear that the green ones come out nice, because I think that that may be my first saber color. Thanks, again.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
all i have read says the green is a better wavelength of light that the eye picks up on more easily. that usually why a green seems brighter to most.

Mur-Pa DiLos
03-01-2006, 10:49 AM
I like the royal blue the most! I have the white lux and the royal blue. I'm hoping to get some quick disconnect kits to have cyan, red, and green too![:D]

supertrogdor
03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
as far as what colors i like best, i have a white lux with the color disks, and i have found mixing 2-3 of the disks has provided some really smashing colors. I like the yellow~amber hues much better than i initially anticipated, but through combinations of the color disks i have found some rather smashing blues greens and purples

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 02:53 AM
trog, can you post some pics of your white with the different filters. i had thought of goin with a white once, but havent yet, cuz i just like that 190 lumens R/O too much. and the 140 Red

i have got a blue for the the graflex luke esb. you can definately tell the difference in brightness in the blue and R/O lux. blue is still darn bright tho.

xwingband
03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Lan, there aren't enough pics of the filters for you in the colors forum? or do mean the combos? I think they'd be powerfully weak in terms of brightness but I might be suprised.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

desertscorpion
03-02-2006, 10:38 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

all i have read says the green is a better wavelength of light that the eye picks up on more easily. that usually why a green seems brighter to most.

Yeah, I was watching a tech show about night vision and they mentioned that that's why they chose green for the display on nightvision systems because it's the color the human eye most readily picks up on at night. Pretty cool.

supertrogdor
03-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Lan, i posted a comparison shot here
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=454&whichpage=2
it has several colors that i liked with the best blade options i have yet tried

i might also add, that most of the colors i really liked in person did not come out as clean in the pics i took, i am still working on the best way to work with shooting pictures of lightsabers
i have a 4megapixel digital camera, and a digital camcorder that will take still shots, but i have not been able to really do justice to how good it looks, when i figure out how to best represent them ill post a few more pics

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

Lan, there aren't enough pics of the filters for you in the colors forum? or do mean the combos? I think they'd be powerfully weak in terms of brightness but I might be suprised.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

yeah, shots of the combo colors using more than one filter to get other shades.

Protein5000
03-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Madcow,

Your green blade looks awsome. Your tip looks lit up as well. Did you put a mirror in there? Or some other material?

supertrogdor
03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Lan,one of the better green colors i came up with was the bluegreen with yellow, it filtered into the nicest green with all of the blade configurations i have yet tried

desertscorpion
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by supertrogdor

Lan,one of the better green colors i came up with was the bluegreen with yellow, it filtered into the nicest green with all of the blade configurations i have yet tried

Trog,

You might've already mentioned...how did it compare to using a green LED? My first completely custom saber will probably be green (of course, I've said that before). Thanks, in advance.

Madcow
03-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah,
I did put a 1/2 " mirror in there. But first I scraped off the grey stuff so that it became semi-transparent. Then I used my dremmel to carve out a dome inside the acrylic tip. It gives it a rounded look. It took some experimenting to get it right before I glued it. But I'm happy with the result.

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg

Protein5000
03-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah? This morning I actually thought of sanding that stuff off to do the same thing. Thanks for that, I'll give it a go - I got 5 mirrors and 5 acrylic tips incase I stuffed them up!

Madcow
03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I used a large exacto knife and scraped the stuff off. It's like baked on or something!

And DEFINTELY use safety glasses. I had to pick a peice of that crap outta my eye.

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg

NooB1Kenobi
03-10-2006, 05:01 AM
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">I have several different colors that I've made for myself or my friends.
A few I like and a few don't like.
I love the amber. It's like having a solar flare in a tube.
Next would be the Red/Orange, Green and Cyan...
Then there's white. I don't care much for the color filters.
Red and Blue is ok to me.
The Royal Blue in my opinion sucks. I don't know why..
Maybe cause I blinded myself and now have yellow spots in my vision.
I was smoothing out the inside of a blade holder and hit the switch..

The color filters seem to look better on Padawan Sabers blade length of about 24-28 inches. I don't know why.. Made two for my friends kids..

Out of real life and pictures I'd say the Red/Orange has the most difference. In the picture it looks like fire but in person it's red with a slight bit of orange to it especially toward the base of the blade.

Female Twi'leks are so Hot! I want one. =0)~

desertscorpion
03-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Noob,

All your comments help out, especially what you said about the red-orange clears up a lot for me, because all I've seen are the pictures. Everyone was calling it red when it looked like a red-orange flame to me. It sounds like you have a lot of firsthand experience, too. Thanks, a lot.

supertrogdor
03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by supertrogdor

Trog,

You might've already mentioned...how did it compare to using a green LED? My first completely custom saber will probably be green (of course, I've said that before). Thanks, in advance.

the white LED saber is my first and only to date, so i am sorry to say i don't know, but it looks as though NooB1Kenobi cleared up what you were after, perhaps in the future when i make a few more sabers i will have better advice for those of you on the forum

desertscorpion
03-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks, again, Trog.

supertrogdor
03-10-2006, 04:18 PM
anytime desertscorpion, i am glad to help out where i can