PDA

View Full Version : rotj luke v2 conversion

adam12
05-12-2008, 08:51 AM
i'm converting a luke rotj mr into a v2 lux, when i took it apart i noticed it runs on 6 AA's, if i decide to go lux 5 green, and i wire the led separately from the board, but to the same pack, can it handle it?

Madcow
05-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Anything is possible - but I think it may be more work than it is worth. You can get nice results with just wiring a K2 straight to the board. If you can get you hands on a rebel and optics for it - that's even better.

A 5w would requitre you to bypass the board, and to rewire the battery pack - it is wired to provide 4.5 volts I think. This is ideal for 3w, K2, and rebel LEDs, but not for 5w.

MC

adam12
05-12-2008, 10:18 AM
thanks! i'll probably go k2. i have a graflex w/ k2 blue wired to mr board, and it was only a hair brighter than my buddies mr luke. i'm not sure if it's the led or what.

xwingband
05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Unless you did extra the K2 is not going to be brighter if at all. the Rebels irk out more though for sure.

What I see that you could do is use the existing pack... then three cells are standard. You then snip either the Va or Vb going to the MR board and put the snipped one to a resistor or puck. That third set of cells would be li-ion cells and correspond to which ever one you snipped. The MR switch is a DPDT so you'd just have to desolder it and wire it correctly.

IMO I'd rather gut it because the MR Luke ROTJ is very large inside. You could fit more in there without the 6AA pack.

adam12
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah, i noticed that it had a crap ton of room inside, which is why i was thinking of going luxV, that and the battery pack seemed huge for a mr. i just hve to figure out how to pull off a convincing choke point in the neck, i think its ugly as hell right now

adam12
05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
i've seen xwings youtube videos of some luke mr's and i believe he said he used a maul kit to acheive the extended emitter piece, will i have to modify the blade holder to get it to fit? i only ask, b/c i'm about to buy the maul kit

xwingband
05-19-2008, 09:28 AM
i've seen xwings youtube videos of some luke mr's and i believe he said he used a maul kit to acheive the extended emitter piece, will i have to modify the blade holder to get it to fit? i only ask, b/c i'm about to buy the maul kit

The "Luke" kit Tim sells is just a Maul kit shaved down at the emitter. I just did the opposite and shaved the hilt. There is one single lip at the emitter that is stopping the Maul kit from being able to extend out the emitter. I just used my drill with a sanding drum and it took a few minutes.

adam12
05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
thanks! i thought the one you did looked great. i appreciate all the help!

Matt Thorn
01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Reviving an old thread here. I would just like to do a basic Luxeon III conversion of an ROTJ Luke using the TCSS kit. Unfortunately, the stickied tutorial here ends with disassembly. Am I right in assuming that, despite the 9v battery pack, the green Luxeon III will be fine without a resistor if I hook it up through the MR board in the standard way (i.e., bunching six wires together, etc.)? That is the impression I get from reading the Ultrasabers tutorial (http://www.ultrasabers.com/v/fxdiy/lukerotj.html). I just want to make sure before I go and fry a new LED.

Dark Navel
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
That's fine to use the MR board, no resistor, but remember nothing over 6V for juice otherwise you'll cook the board. There are many threads that should show you how to wire that puppy up...if your going to use a Corbin board for "ramping" effects you're going to need a second clash sensor and the diagram section of the post will show you what I mean.

Matt Thorn
01-08-2009, 11:28 PM
That's fine to use the MR board, no resistor, but remember nothing over 6V for juice otherwise you'll cook the board. There are many threads that should show you how to wire that puppy up...if your going to use a Corbin board for "ramping" effects you're going to need a second clash sensor and the diagram section of the post will show you what I mean.

Many thanks. I just got my first Corbin today and I thinking about which project to use it on. :-D I'll probably try it in my set-of-the-pants Anakin AOTC LED conversion, but whatever I use it with, I'll be sure to check the Corbin wiring diagrams carefully.

sekrogue1985
01-09-2009, 07:07 AM
go talk to LDM he's working a very similar project he maybe able to help you.

Matt Thorn
01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
go talk to LDM he's working a very similar project he maybe able to help you.

Thanks. LDM did his using a 616. I'm doing mine with the original hilt electronics and board (minus the EL driver, of course) and a TCSS Darth Maul conversion kit. I'm making good progress, but haven't tried hooking up the Corbin (which arrived yesterday!) yet. You can see more about it here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6934).

sekrogue1985
01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
cool beanz matt can't wait to see it finished i always liked that saber

Lord Dottore Matto
01-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks. LDM did his using a 616. I'm doing mine with the original hilt electronics and board (minus the EL driver, of course) and a TCSS Darth Maul conversion kit. I'm making good progress, but haven't tried hooking up the Corbin (which arrived yesterday!) yet. You can see more about it here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6934).

you have 2 options, 5 or 6V voltage regulator with the current board, or simply replacing that EL/crap board. A 616 board is actually a good idea, especially with your corbin v2.

Matt Thorn
01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, LDM. Since I've pretty much derailed this thread, I responded to your advice with a question here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=117844#post117844).