PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber injuries

BlackDOG
05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
If any of you met me in person, you would find that I am a very transparent person, in that I have no problem laughing at my own stupidity.....

This weekend, I was showing off my fancy shmancy new MHS Saber to my brother-in-law. As I raised the hilt up to point out something to him, I smacked the ceiling fan above me. The smashing sound came from the poly c shattering the glass globe on the light fixture. A chunk of the glass fell off, hit me on the head giving my a nice little gash!

The blood pouring off my forehead was no mach for the laughing fit my brother-in-law was in the grip off. If only he would have been videotaping...now that would be good youtube stuff...

Any other dunderheads hurt themselves with our favorite weapons?

BD

Darth Leximus
05-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow if I didn't know better I would think that you are my friend John.

So 2 weeks ago I delivered my buddy John's MHS to him after he left it with me for construction and modification (I'm the guy with the tools). So we meet at our other buddies house and i hand over the saber. He proceeds to show us the "techniques" his roommate had been teaching him, so he pulls off this fancy behind the back switchy hand flourish and is so proud of himself that he hoists the saber up over his head in triumph!

As he does so he smashes the blade into the antique Tiffany light which breaks of course and sends extremely expensive stained glass raining down on him. Which misses his eye by about 2mm. So the light turns out to be worth about 4 grand but the embarrasement....priceless!

37H4N
05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Sucks about the expensive lamp.

Well, no injury but related: Practicing moves in my room and the bulbs on the ceiling are exposed so they're just asking to be smashed and sure enough. "Hey where'd the light go? I can't see!" :lol:

Other than light bumps and bruses from screwing up a spin I don't really have any injury stories.

Barmic Rin
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Me & my buddies used to duel with my old Hasbro sabers about 3yrs back.

My best mate Rob was the saber killer, so after a while, he could only use his own as I lost 3 to him!!!!! There's probably still fragments of them in the car park behind my old place to this day!!!!

It wasn't only sabers he'd beat, we all had bruises after a bout with him! He's not even that good, it's sheer brute force!!!

DARTH KALEL
05-12-2008, 02:45 PM
I was trying to pull off a round house one time while attacking with the saber, this was in a live duel, but controlled, so no matter what you are not allowed to make contact, as I was midair pulling my spin when my sparring partner stepped into the kick, I kicked him in the nose, realizing what I did I tried to pull out of the move only to bring the saber into contact with his already bloody nose. Needless to say I had a hard time finding a partner again lol. My master is constantly yelling at me to control myself, I get to involved and passionate.

Another time I was practicing with a double staff and was mid swing when the wife walked in the room, I had to adjust and move but saber was still swinging , she ducked and I caught my own saber in the mouth. Chipped a tooth on that one lol.

Non saber related I was gearing for a fight and trying to get my hands wrapped, after a quick wrap we move to a bag and tighten the wrap with a few quick rounds. I wound up getting too excited and my hand slipped off the side and I smacked my corner mans wife in the arm knocking her on her arse. She was so drunk she got up and slapped her friend next to her causing a rather funny and long cat fight. The funniest thing is my corner man didn't want to tell his wife that I had accidentally hit her and not her friend, after seeing her wipe her friend up he was to scared and just said nice job honey want another beer lol To this day she still doesn't know. and they are still best friends even after a few more fights.

Stinky Bantha
05-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Well it wasn't directly saber-related, but it was definitely stupid: I have a fan with 3 lightbulbs and each one has a little glass shade. I was swinging my saber around one day and hit one of the shades. It got glass everywhere, but I cleaned it up and all was well. I just happened to neglect to remove the piece that was still attached to the lamp. The little chain for the light happens to be right in the middle of the 3 glass shades. I woke up one morning and not surprisingly (though it was at the time) I sliced open my thumb. Now I just tell people the scar was from a knife fight... haha

BlackDOG
05-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Well.... here is Dummy In Chief...complete with scepter of stupidity.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Birdlaw/Sabers/DSC09496.jpg

Yeah thats an ice bag with a cloth underneath to catch the blood.....direct pressure and cold.....what fun.

bd

Dark Navel
05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
How about showing off your MR and custom sabers to the 8 year old and 3 1/2 year old boys next door. They were really battling it out with thier Hasbro's. Being the true dorky jedi that I am I used the 7 yo saber and dueled with his brother.

Let's recal who's there, me and the boys, thier sister, my 7yo daughter, my wife and the neighbors wife. A 3 1/2 year old stands about 3 ft high. 3 swings were in contact with my blade, the fourth was a direct shot to my nut$.

I crumbled...then got back on my feet and quietly stumbled back into the house to ride out the pain.

Yup that was fun.

Novastar
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I've had a number of injuries in recent years of my life, and... although there have been some major ones here (fractured C3, damaged PCL, torqued neck, ribcage compacted a bit)... *NONE* were a cause of LED sabers...!

This might be ALL the more reason for those out there to check out the upcoming Sound Compendium--since it will ALSO have the staged combat tutorial (basics)!

It may not save you when you're screwing around spinning the saber... but... it just MIGHT during a "mock" duel or piece of choreography.

Otherwise, all I can say is... let us all mind our measure, and let us PRAYETH to the Gods of cadence during a bout/sparring session... :)

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-13-2008, 04:43 AM
This one time I ran after someone with my Light saber and when they crossed the street running away from me, so did I but I got bumped by a car coming down the street.
I wonder what that person was thinking when they hit someone with a light saber.

They looked confused enough though.
Anyways no real injuries besides, it was summer and looking at my feet there was no more skin after running across concrete then the road.

37H4N
06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Well it wasn't a lighsaber but I was using PVC for a sword. Me and my little brother (three years old) fight with PVC, hasbro sabers, ect. I think I learned my lesson sunday night. Just a few moments after I decided to stop and my mom was telling him not to throw it whoch he has a knack for doing. Anyways, I'll have a nice moon shaped scar later. It wasn't a realy big gash but I could spread the cut a little and see meat. :lol:

Flyerfye
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

A few years ago, I got my first MR saber, which was the AotC Mace Windu. Swinging it around in my parents' living room was my first priority, of course. And, like you'd expect, within about 5 minutes I broke a large (about a foot in diameter) glass light cover on the ceiling, as well as the light inside it. Although none of it cut me directly, I was barefoot on a hardwood floor surrounded by (and completely covered with) tiny glass shards (a LOT of which were what could be called glass DUST). It was a total "oh ****" moment when I suddenly realized if I moved my feet at all I'd get cut up like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. And when I moved any other part of me, I could feel the glass settling into my clothing and my hair, slowly gathering in creases, ready to just embed itself into my skin if I moved too much. In the end I escaped with just a few minor cuts and scratches from getting out of that mess (and having to clean it up.) After that I was restricted to using things like that OUTSIDE. Brilliant. My Mace Windu still rattles when you swing it due to the glass shards still inside the handle and blade.

Along with that, there are of course the few minor injuries sustained in spinning/dueling. I've been hit in the knuckles dozens of times with stunt sabers with wood blades (mostly due to me sucking at blocking), got myself real good in the ear practicing spins (hurts more than you'd think it would), and took an aluminum hilt to the kneecap when my dueling partner accidentally lost his grip on his saber, to name a few. Fan films are dangerous business.

strengthofrage
06-14-2008, 04:57 AM
I went a little more functional than Black Dog but got the same result... I was locking up the house at night after finishing my latest saber and just had to carry it around with me while I shut all the lights and locked the doors. I forgot the side door in the kitchen so I used the nice over-driven blue beam of beauty to light my way. Of course, this meant swinging it as I went. I completely destroyed the kitchen ceiling fan light. The globe exploded and sprayed all over me and the kitchen. Amazingly I wasn't cut, my then girlfriend (moved out of here since) starts yelling "What the f*#@ was that?!?!" I had to tell her how cool I was lol.

Flyerfye
06-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Sorry to post twice in this thread, but I just "injured" myself again. So I got the first of my two shipments of TCSS stuff, and I was working on my electronics setup, right? Well, I figure it's a good idea to make sure the LED works, is all set up properly, and I have the positive and negative in the right direction. So of course, like a total idiot I put the LED in the lens holder and lens, and put it in the emitter. Then I look right into the thing and turn it on.

In case you can't already guess how well that worked, I can't really see out of one eye too well right now. Temporary blindness is no fun.

This thread might be a good basis for "what NOT to do with your new LED saber".

Drichar Deis
06-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Ive got 2 from my first saber ;) I was soldering up the electronics so they are ready to put in and the tip of the soldering iron was getting a bit messy so I scrapped it of and a bit decided to land on my nail (ouch!) then checking the LEDs worked, guess what..... stared right into it and had red in my vision for a while........

You Live And Learn......

Mcich
06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
one time I was attempting to do the anakin spin, still new at it back then, spun it full force as I pivoted round, slammed it into the back of my leg and knockecd myself off my feet, oh that was painful.

second one, I was trying to do the move where you spin the saber round your hand and catch it again, tried it with the Vader 2007 model (bad idea) and it dropped right onto my foot.

moral of the story, wear steel toe capped boots to keep your toes safe

Crashteam85
06-19-2008, 08:00 AM
The last time we where out dueling I say to my friend Travis, who is a 25 yr old, 450lb plus former football player turned geek, "lets do some freestyle dueling!"

I always tell him swing at most half force, I go in for a low shot, he hits me with slash, just about ripped the end of my nose off! Omg I never was more angry, the blood ruined my favorite dueling shirt!

I'm with Nova on this one, we are going to start doing staged fights from now one, not only am I not going to injure my self any more, but I'm kinda tired of these jokers not buying there own blades and breaking mine all the time. 2 blades broke this last month and 1 saber lost due to the threads getting stuck and someone trying to force it apart...

DarthFender
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Ever get a bee sting from a lightsaber fight?

When My Bro and I were younger (many years ago) We used broomhandles for lightsabers. We were dueling one day and I disarmed him. Sent his saber spinning up in the air. It hit a nearby hornet's nest.

Wow, that really sucked. But we ran like hell and only got a couple of stings.
</div>

sekrogue1985
06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
hmmmm...I know

This is probably the nicest thing I've ever done for someone much less a stranger.

It was the midnight release of EPIII and I was with my friend with I might add a brand new force FX compliments of my girlfriend. There was this ass, most likely a highschooler/wannabe cool frat boy to be type that had a couple of those super cheap plastic lightsabers. These are the ones that don't light up and the blade can go all the way into the hilt. Basically this guy was running around picking fights with people, anyone really even this little kid who I was proud to say had an kickass jedi outfit. So he runs up to this kid and the kid wants to duel. He's sporting a brand new vibrating Obi-wan hilt. They duel the ass is a super ass doesn't pull punches and knocks the kid and saber to the ground. The worse part of this is that the kicks saber got bent at the blade making it look like crap. Now I really detest these sort of *******s so I step in. My friend knowing full well that this guy is about to get his ass handed to him suggest he back down but like all wannabe types very full of themselves doesn't listen and attacks. First swing disarmed him, second swing went to the head, and third was more a throw combo put him on the ground with the tip of the blade pointed at his neck and my foot on his balls. I guess in the end I didn't injure him physically but I guess mentally the guy was rather quiet. IN the end the ass learned a lesson and the little kid got my Force FX cause honestly I had at least 3 at home and I was in a good mood. The kid was dumb-founded and the mom was like "you don't have to do that" look. Meh I was in a good mood.

Lesson of the day - don't pick on little kids cause someone will eventually pick on you.\

Personal Injury - My friend didn't have his retention screw in and the blade popped off and hit me square in the eye.

Drichar Deis
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Ok, thought Id bump this, I did a stupid thing!

I was disconnecting the screw together bits of an MHS and kinda forgot it was sharp metal................ I now have a crescent shaped groove in my hand ;) oops!

NickVader
07-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow, you guys have some impressive stories. :p Being all-thumbs, I never go near tools, but I have a few sabers. I was practicing the Anakin spin once with my Luke MR, and just about halfway through the spin, the blade smacked me in the side of the head. It hurt like hell. I was swearing for a bit, holding the side of my head. :p

ArkaiHalon
07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
hmmmm...I know

This is probably the nicest thing I've ever done for someone much less a stranger.

It was the midnight release of EPIII and I was with my friend with I might add a brand new force FX compliments of my girlfriend. There was this ass, most likely a highschooler/wannabe cool frat boy to be type that had a couple of those super cheap plastic lightsabers. These are the ones that don't light up and the blade can go all the way into the hilt. Basically this guy was running around picking fights with people, anyone really even this little kid who I was proud to say had an kickass jedi outfit. So he runs up to this kid and the kid wants to duel. He's sporting a brand new vibrating Obi-wan hilt. They duel the ass is a super ass doesn't pull punches and knocks the kid and saber to the ground. The worse part of this is that the kicks saber got bent at the blade making it look like crap. Now I really detest these sort of *******s so I step in. My friend knowing full well that this guy is about to get his ass handed to him suggest he back down but like all wannabe types very full of themselves doesn't listen and attacks. First swing disarmed him, second swing went to the head, and third was more a throw combo put him on the ground with the tip of the blade pointed at his neck and my foot on his balls. I guess in the end I didn't injure him physically but I guess mentally the guy was rather quiet. IN the end the ass learned a lesson and the little kid got my Force FX cause honestly I had at least 3 at home and I was in a good mood. The kid was dumb-founded and the mom was like "you don't have to do that" look. Meh I was in a good mood.

Lesson of the day - don't pick on little kids cause someone will eventually pick on you.\

you are now officially on my list of awesome people.

Drichar Deis
07-18-2008, 02:21 AM
sekrogue your my hero! I may be a Sith, but I can appreciate how strong the Light is in you ;) even the wife was impressed!!!!!!!

Darth Leximus
07-18-2008, 06:43 AM
I've been preaching this for a while now...Sek is one of my favorite people whom I've never actually met.

Just another example of his awesomeness.

DDanDevious
07-18-2008, 08:28 AM
sick. I wish some dude would give me a force FX saber. next time im getting picked on Im calling you up Sek.

DDD

Novastar
07-18-2008, 08:30 AM
hahaha, that guy should have worn a CUP, lol...

Good job Sek. And I agree that there is *NO* way I'd have put up with that sort of thing myself. Who the hell picks on a little kid, anyhow?

Weasel.

Roy's Blues
07-18-2008, 10:01 AM
This past weekend I was spinning my newly built MHS "Hurricane"
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=12747.0
It has the new MHS choke style 2. The 2 lips on it have slightly sharp edges.
I did not even notice at them time, (Damn Rum and cokes)but it cut the top of my hand up.
Now that i have some free time, I'll be sanding it down.

BlackDOG
07-18-2008, 10:32 AM
SEK......

A jedi knight, you are....

THAT IS AWSOME!

bd