PDA

View Full Version : heatsink ?

jedikanol
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
sorry im kind of new at this so be lenient. what does heatsink mean?

xwingband
02-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Does new mean you can't open another topic? There is one titled "LED HEATSINK" in capitals no less only a few topics down. I'm sorry if this comes off as mean but this forum has a great search feature and it's just pure ignorance to miss a topic that is still on the front page titled exactly what you are asking about.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

jedikanol
02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
i wouldn't ask the question if i had not already read all i could. all i wanted was a simple answer.

xwingband
02-24-2006, 07:54 PM
It should be apparent through reading all the heatsink threads that have poped up all over the place. A heatsink is a device that dissipates the heat from an LED so that it runs cool and won't burn out.

Most do that by creating more surface area through fins. If you look at Tim's holder those circles coming from the bottom of the LED plate are to aid in dissipating the heat.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

LAN-ED-TUL
02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
sheesh, people i guess cant see certain threads, like being color blind, i guess theyre thread blind, lol

i know, plague, but c,mon dude, theres so many titles of threads listed with heatsink in the name, if he read he would understand what it was. goes back to what xwing used to say. they dont pay attenntion, just jump on here and ask, without actually reading.
theres no real excuse, when the info is already posted. im not being a hard*** but i think theres too many not willing to read. they want it handed to them on silver platinum tray, and no waiting. lol

i hope everyone understands this is just my own view. cheers, [:D]

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

The Plague
02-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Guy's I don't think he knows what a heatsink is. A heatsink is used to transferbheat away from an object, in our case we are transfering heataway from an led

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

WeirdoTransvestite
02-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Jedikanol, did you ever open a computer, or see the inside of one before? Inside right on top of the processor is a large box shaped objuct with fins on it, that is a heatsink.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=heatsinkinfo-2.shtml

This is a pic of a CPU heatsink and fan, but you'll get the idea.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
HK-47: Extrapolation: 98% probability the miniature organic's [Jawa] tribe has been captured by the sand people and he wants us to mount a rescue. Revan: What about the other 2%? HK-47: Explanation: 2% probability that the miniature organic meatbag is just looking for trouble and wants us to blast him, although this may just be wishful thinking on my part, master. -Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

jedikanol
02-25-2006, 05:30 PM
thank you plague and weirdo transvestite

The Plague
02-26-2006, 12:19 PM
your welcome Jedi, the other guy's just misinterpreted the question. Now that you know what heatsinking is you can use another topic to teach you how to do it, good luck and the force be with you.

[/quote]