PDA

View Full Version : Favorite scene/moment from a Star Wars Movie

desertscorpion
02-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey guys,

I'd rather shoot the breeze with you guys about this than anyone. So, what is your favorite scene or moment from a Star Wars movie?
Mine is definitely Vader saving Luke from the Emperor in ROTJ (though, the rest of the movie, as a whole, is my least favorite of the series). My second favorite is the final showdown with Maul in Phantom.

naashar
02-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Good topic, bigtyme! I've a few:

1. The entire Bespin showdown (Vader v. Skywalker), TESB, Dialogue esp.

I'd have to say this is where we really get a hint of the thoroughness that is Vader. Any "faceless" villian must be established by means other than sneers; Vader's lines are immortal! From "The Force is strong with you, young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi, yet" all the way to "You are beaten. It is useless to resist", here is where we really get to see Vader at his masterful best. Don't get me wrong; in ANH, his throwing off of Kenobi's shackles with the line "when I left you, I was but the Learner; now I am the Master" and his snide "admonishment" of the unbelieving Imperial Officer ("I find your lack of faith..disturbing") had already done more than enough to entrench Vader in my psyche as truly..ill-tempered. But nearly every line he delivers in ESB can be classified as..classic. See his promotion of the Captain to Admiral in the space of a sentence during the asteroid field scene to remove any doubts.

**That's the first of a few discourses I've got up my tunic sleeve; lemmee know what you think. Thanks for lis'nin'.

Oh, does "The Clone Wars Vol I and II" count??

You are beaten. It is useless to resist.

dbraxton9
02-24-2006, 07:29 PM
the twin sunset with the Luke Skywalker theme music in SW is almost a religious image to me.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Nightwing
02-24-2006, 07:34 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dbraxton9

the twin sunset with the Luke Skywalker theme music in SW is almost a religious image to me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Mine's either that, or the part in the ROTJ duel where Luke and Vader really go at it while the choir's singing the Sith theme in the background.

Madcow
02-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't think I can pick just one scene...

The Bespin duel with Luke and Vader is probably the most gripping image from my childhood.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Nightwing
02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
The Bespin duel was very... depressing. I don't like it when the bad guys win. It sucks. If Luke had won (or at least not gotten whupped), then I would've liked it more.

Tenric Starkindler
02-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Not sure if it would be my Favorite but.......

rarely have I been as awed and excited as I was when seeing ANH in it's original release in the theater...when it all began...when Leia's ship appeared on screen and was followed by the Imperial Star Destroyer.....and followed......and followed......and followed.....
there had never been anything like it on screen before.
I remember sitting next to my dad and saying "Holy SH*%!" and my dad being so awed by it that he didn't crack me one as he would normaly have done........

I knew I was in for the ride of my life then.

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

james3
02-24-2006, 08:37 PM
My favorite scene from when I was a kid was the first time we see two jedi/sith toe to toe with lightsabers. I know the dual was kinda week compared to everything else we have now seen, but Obi-Wan and Vader swinging and clashing those lightsabers and old Ben saying: "If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." I was in a complete state of shock, that was to cool.

Now for my favorite scene these days, Episode III opening. I have no doubt that reading the book before going to see the movie and that my dad is a pilot had a bit to do with my excitement about the first scene.(If you haven't read the book give it a try, lots of detail left out of the movie and it makes Palpatine even more evil.) Two Jedi Starfighters dropping into the battle, every twist and turn copied perfectly by each other. Two jedi as one that the enemy see's and says oh crap, I'm a sucker for that one ranger,one riot stuff too;)

Best lightsaber battle would be EP III Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. Awsome choreography.

Nightwing- I know what you mean but I think it was way to important to show that Vader was way beyond Luke's abilities at that time and he toyed with him untill Luke got that lucky hit on the arm and ticked off Vader enough for him to cut loose with his anger and power.

Nightwing
02-24-2006, 08:42 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3Nightwing- I know what you mean but I think it was way to important to show that Vader was way beyond Luke's abilities at that time and he toyed with him untill Luke got that lucky hit on the arm and ticked off Vader enough for him to cut loose with his anger and power.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I understand the story reasons, but that doesn't make it any more or less enjoyable to watch my hero's hand get cut off.

Tenric Starkindler
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
it's that whole father/son Karma thing....parallels....

CrudeSword
02-25-2006, 02:17 AM
My favorite scene

Anakin vs Obi-Wan Mustafar Duel
Darth Sidious vs Yoda
Yoda vs Dooku

bazuka
02-25-2006, 04:49 AM
My favorite scene is probably Anakin vs Obi-Wan at Mustafar. Episode II is my favorite of them all, however. It's such a pivotal story in the series... you have Anakin beginning his transformation, the beginning of the clone wars at the battle of Geonosis... so many good things.

desertscorpion
02-25-2006, 08:27 AM
For me, I'd definitely say that the Clone Wars cartoons do count. They've earned my respect.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by naashar

Good topic, bigtyme! I've a few:

1. The entire Bespin showdown (Vader v. Skywalker), TESB, Dialogue esp.

I'd have to say this is where we really get a hint of the thoroughness that is Vader. Any "faceless" villian must be established by means other than sneers; Vader's lines are immortal! From "The Force is strong with you, young Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi, yet" all the way to "You are beaten. It is useless to resist", here is where we really get to see Vader at his masterful best. Don't get me wrong; in ANH, his throwing off of Kenobi's shackles with the line "when I left you, I was but the Learner; now I am the Master" and his snide "admonishment" of the unbelieving Imperial Officer ("I find your lack of faith..disturbing") had already done more than enough to entrench Vader in my psyche as truly..ill-tempered. But nearly every line he delivers in ESB can be classified as..classic. See his promotion of the Captain to Admiral in the space of a sentence during the asteroid field scene to remove any doubts.

**That's the first of a few discourses I've got up my tunic sleeve; lemmee know what you think. Thanks for lis'nin'.

Oh, does "The Clone Wars Vol I and II" count??

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now that I've posted and read all of you guys comments, I feel myself saying,"Oh yeah, that's another of my favorite scenes."
I'd definitely say that Luke facing Vader in Empire always gave me a sense of dread fascination. Vader was like Dracula and Adolph Hitler all rolled into one or something. Even so, Vadar's power and decisiveness always made me think he was cool. I'd say that all of Vader's lines were instant classics. I don't know how they came off so well. The first time Luke mentioned that there was still good in Vader I was like "Yes! That be so cool if he could turn his father back!" Of course, when Vader redeems himself it was a tear jerker for me.

naashar
02-25-2006, 09:20 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> See his promotion of the Captain to Admiral in the space of a sentence during the asteroid field scene to remove any doubts.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

**my mistake...it was just before the Imperials invaded Hoth. I had to watch last night to be sure.[:D]

naashar
02-25-2006, 10:14 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

For me, I'd definitely say that the Clone Wars cartoons do count. They've earned my respect.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ohhhkayy. Now that that's been established...[:D]

2. The Mace Windu Vignette(s), Clone Wars Vol I & II

Until the release of the two Clone Wars animated features, I think that only a few Jedi have been ranked as "legendary" among us Wars-a-philes; now, to those of us who've read a few books (Splinter of the Mind's Eye still is one of my faves), I'm asking you to suspend your expanded knowledge for a bit, and pretend that 4 or 5 of the six movies have been released.

Now that's been done, Yoda, Vader, and this faceless "Anakin" have been the only Force-savvy who've been mentioned with some reverence at this point. Everyone else seems to think the Jedi are "magicians". Even Ol' Ben is considered to be out of his gourd!

Rewind time a bit (or, fast-forward, depending) and we see Mace, wordlessly handling his business among the Droid Clueless. The only kat out there with a purple lightsaber blade! I remember when green was the new hotness. (Can you imagine the following dialogue: "Yoda, hand me my 'saber." "Find it, I cannot" "It's the one that says 'Bad M#*&er F*@*er'" Classic!) But I digress...

So, here we have a Jedi who's effectiveness is quickly shown by the way he, I don't know, decimates the rank and file of droid..with and without weapon, by the by. Singlehandedly taking out that huge..CraterMaker9000, or whatever the nomenclature. Then, sipping the sweet agua of success, Mean Joe Green-style! (I know I'm dating myself, but Coke did it right with that one)
Not to mention the whole "crush-your-chest-from-100-yards-away-Mr.-Grevious" move in Vol. II. Too thorough! To sum up, here is where I'm sure a lot of the uninitiated got the inspiration to look further into the ranks of the Jedi/Sith for more examples of legend-ry.

Alas, I've pontificated enough...

You don't need to see any identification.

desertscorpion
02-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I have to agree with you, your pontificateness, that Mace was pretty stinkin' cool in the toons.

Darth Vengus
02-25-2006, 12:17 PM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">For me, the scene at the end of Ep.1, the whole fight from when Maul first shrugs off his robe to when he does a double([:D])-gainer into the reactor shaft was pretty much the best for me. Up to that point I had thought 'Wow! Liam Neeson makes an awesome Jedi, I wonder what he'll do in EP.2?' And then I'm suddenly aware that Maul's saber is sticking out of his back and that surprised look on his face kinda put me in shock for a couple of seconds[:0]. I kinda echoed Obi-wan in my head- "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" For some reason, THAT was a big surprise to me (I know...I shoulda seen it coming...call me dense, I guess[:p]). That and seeing the star destroyer opening sequence from EP.3 when I was six, thundering overhead on the drive-in screen (my father and I swear it was at least sixty feet tall[xx(]!) was a memorable moment of my young life. My Dad (an electrician/mechanic who despised science-fiction up to that point and was not happy about having to sit through 2 hours of it) promptly dropped most of his raisenettes in the floor-board of our '57 Chevy and sat there with his mouth open until 3P0 and R2 got into the escape pod was and is still a priceless moment to me[:D]. After the movie, we promptly went to Walgreens, bought a Darth Vader Tie Fighter model, went home and put it together. It was my first model, and I'll always remember us working on it for hours[:)]. I hope to do something like that with my kids.

Vengus
</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

Darth Frieds
02-25-2006, 01:55 PM
My favorite scene use to be the end scene in ROTJ when everyone is partying. this was the edited scene in the special edition trilogy that showed all of those other cities celebrating and the new music in the background on endor. Then they totally ruined it when they did the DVD's. They added in Hayden as Anakins ghost instead of that old man. Personally i feel there was no need for that. Now I guess my favorite scene is the fight scene between obi-wan and anakin/yoda and sidious in ROTS.

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

naashar
02-25-2006, 01:58 PM
3. The Obi-Wan/Anakin Mustafar Duel, ROTS

Ok, on so many levels, did this work for me. (wow, can you say, Yoda-channeling??) For the obvious, we get to "see" what had only been alluded to in the past. We get to see the upstart challenging the wily vet. We get to see what is a true representation of the Jedi Fighting Forms, Obi in III and Ani in V, and how each character dealt with the other: emotion fueled attacks balanced by skill and experience. The whole mirrored portion of the duel in the control room was exceptional. I love watching the entire scene slowed to about 1/16th of original speed. If you have the patience, try it; you, too, will be consistently awed by the subtleties of this duel.

The pivotal maiming sequence is great slowed down; in one fluid motion, Obi takes Ani's left (non-dueling) arm on G.P., spins and takes both legs, which really must have stung upon landing on that hot pumice.

Devilstar2k2
02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
1. ROTS: When Yoda, and ObiWan, are going back to the temple to recalibrate the signal after Ani's rampage... Yoda is slashing through troops, and throws his lil saber through one of the troops chest, and then jumps to retrieve it, and immediately leaps to another trooper to mess him up as well.

2. ROTJ: The shot from behind Luke while he is burning Vaders body...

Tenric Starkindler
02-25-2006, 05:05 PM
OK.
Not a scene from a movie here.....but
With all the talk of MACE I had to mention "Shatterpoint".

There is a scene in that book where Mace faces down like 4 or more armored clone gunships ALONE..........I would LOVE to see that on film!!!

That book put Mace up there with OBI VADER YODA as top DOG.........

Madcow
02-25-2006, 07:10 PM
I'll echo that!!!
Shattterpoint was fantastic. I'd love to see that whole book as a film!

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

dbraxton9
02-26-2006, 07:25 AM
ok, how about the scene in the star wars radio play (starring perry king from Riptide as Han Solo) where Obi Wan is teaching Luke about the force on the milleniom falcon? Solo rips on kenobi about being poor, saying the only thngs a man needs are money and luck. Kenobi replies that the force is far more useful, and that the less money he has, the luckier he gets! that one, and the scene where vader is torturing Leia are probably the two that should have been in the movie the way they were in the play.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

LanceM
02-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Aside from all the Jedi moments that are my favorite, I have to admit that Im partial to one scene that I will never forget.

On Bespin when the door opened for Han Leia and Chewie and Han didnt waste a moment of time defending himself and protecting his friends (and future wife) from what he knew as evil incarnate. When he went Clint Eastwood style for about 2 secs, I thought, he is a bad a## that is, until his blaster promptly left his hand.

Heck I bet even Vader was surprised how fast Han moved...

I wonder what they talked about while eating.. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

LanceM

"You'll find Im full of surprises"

Devilstar2k2
02-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Okay, I got another one... It gives some props to the clone troops...

I love when the one Trooper (in Ep3) jumps on top of the droid and puts his blaster to its head and basically just blows its brains out from about an inch away. [:D]

Mi Gin Gonn
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
LanceM-

good call on Han Solo.

some of my favorites:

when mace and sidious break the huge window with their lightsabers in ROTS.

when Yoda enters Sidious' office in ROTS, and, with a casual wave of his hand, sends the Royal Guards flying into the wall, knocking them unconscious.

the lead-up and battle when the walkers attack in ESB.

the buzz droids sawing off R4's head in ROTS. i want some buzz droids to put on my neighbor's Jaguar!

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

dbraxton9
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
hey, wonder why Lucas didn't mess up Empire in the special editions to have Vader shoot first?

Mi Gin Gonn
02-26-2006, 02:55 PM
[:D] that's funny dude!

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

dafourthg
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
My favorite scene is the final fight scene between Luke and Vader, from the part where Luke yells "NO" to the where he chops off Vaders Hand. The music during that scene is nice too.

naashar
02-27-2006, 09:05 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LanceM

Aside from all the Jedi moments that are my favorite, I have to admit that Im partial to one scene that I will never forget.

On Bespin when the door opened for Han Leia and Chewie and Han didnt waste a moment of time defending himself and protecting his friends (and future wife) from what he knew as evil incarnate. When he went Clint Eastwood style for about 2 secs, I thought, he is a bad a## that is, until his blaster promptly left his hand.

Heck I bet even Vader was surprised how fast Han moved...

I wonder what they talked about while eating.. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

LanceM

"You'll find Im full of surprises"

Oh, yeah...that was a good scene. What made it, though, was how up to that point, it was our band of rebels against the universe, no one helping 'em out. Then, the one ray of light they didfind (Lando) turns right around and sh!ts right on 'em! And then, it's not some random Officer that meets them, it's not Admiral Piett...it's the Dark Lord 'imself. That's a power move.

They probably talked about old times...torture droids, an' such.

naashar
02-27-2006, 09:36 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Devilstar2k2

Okay, I got another one... It gives some props to the clone troops...

I love when the one Trooper (in Ep3) jumps on top of the droid and puts his blaster to its head and basically just blows its brains out from about an inch away. [:D]

Yeah, that was pretty thorough. What else should we expect from the Spawn of Jango?! lol

I watched that, and then contrasted it w/the trooper action in the ep V...no comparison! Leia was basically just sticking her gun around the corner, frying an egg, curling her hair, and hitting w/98% accuracy! No way she could've done that during the Clone Wars.

supertrogdor
02-27-2006, 11:48 AM
It has been referenced before, and I concur, Characters without lightsabers are minor characters and quid pro quo scenes without lightsabers may have good story and content but they are just regular scenes. Any duel scene i watch, study, and think about way too much. We are all a bit star wars crazed and i am sure george lucas would be proud to know it. Favorite duel scene is probably the full confrontation with QuiGon and Obi1 with Darth Maul. Our first real look into the Jedi in thier glory days and what they were up against for a prime evil villan. Speed, sabers and lots of force effects, how can we not love it
Cheers

naashar
02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by supertrogdor

It has been referenced before, and I concur, Characters without lightsabers are minor characters and quid pro quo scenes without lightsabers may have good story and content but they are just regular scenes. Any duel scene i watch, study, and think about way too much. We are all a bit star wars crazed and i am sure george lucas would be proud to know it. Favorite duel scene is probably the full confrontation with QuiGon and Obi1 with Darth Maul. Our first real look into the Jedi in thier glory days and what they were up against for a prime evil villan. Speed, sabers and lots of force effects, how can we not love it
Cheers

I'd have to agree, and wholeheartedly at that. Let's set the scene, though: two Jedi, supremely confident that "they'll handle" the situation. One Sith (who hadn't been seen in a millennia), who calmly assesses our two heroes, but doesn't run. He simply adopts his stance, and proceeds to blow e'rybody away with the double unveiling! Even wily vet Qui-Gon had to do a double take (no pun intended). But, for me, the better part of that scene was when Obi realized he had to take 'im out, all by his lonesome! No words of encouragement from his Master, nothing. It was the Padawan against the World, Baby!! It was him, or No One! And what did he do? The Damned Thing, that's what!

You guys notice that Obi-Wan has fought and taken out nearly every major bad guy up through A New Hope?! Including the Clone Wars...ok, Chancellor Palpatine notwithstanding, or Dooku.

thestr8metaledge
02-27-2006, 06:16 PM
ok maybe I'm twisted but...my personal favorite is when Anakin starts hunting down the Jedi in ROTS and walks into the room with all the students. and one of them runs to him asking for help...and all he does is ignite his saber to make it even more blatantly obvious that every child in that room is going to die.
like I said, call me twisted, but I found that scene incredibly bad**s.

the duels between Yoda and Sidious and Vader/Skywalker ROTJ duels are close seconds. I mean come on...Yoda is the the freakin MAN lol

Tenric Starkindler
02-27-2006, 10:48 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by thestr8metaledge

OK you're TWISTED!!!!

Always glad to oblige a fellow fan ;)

GrimaOllak
02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I can't really pinpoint why, but one of the most memorable scenes for me has always been where Luke and Ben are talking just prior to Leia's hologram, and Ben introduces the concept of the lightsaber. In that scene alone, we're presented with a TON of useful info and backstory.

It was so funny watching that as a kid, because as soon as Luke ignited that pretty cyan saber, all I could think was, "Oh man... I GOTTA get me one of those...". And here I am, a couple decades later, fulfilling that dream. [:D]

desertscorpion
02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by thestr8metaledge

ok maybe I'm twisted but...my personal favorite is when Anakin starts hunting down the Jedi in ROTS and walks into the room with all the students. and one of them runs to him asking for help...and all he does is ignite his saber to make it even more blatantly obvious that every child in that room is going to die.

Dude, you are twisted! But, I do have to admit that one of my favorite parts is when Anakin goes to Mustafar and cleans house. Especially the line "Lord Sidious promised us peace!" Love it.

Pirate King
02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dbraxton9

Solo rips on kenobi about being poor, saying the only thngs a man needs are money and luck. Kenobi replies that the force is far more useful, and that the less money he has, the luckier he gets!

What are you talking about? Solo never said anything to Obi about being poor, and Obi never spoke of money. It went more along the lines of "I've been from one side of the galaxy to the other, and I've never seen anything to make me believe that there is an all powerful force controlling everything. It's all a bunch of cheap tricks and luck" to which Obi replies "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." If anyone can find a line like the one mentioned, tell me, but I don't remember any such scene.

My personal favorite, though, would have to be the Asteroid Field from ESB. Awesome flight sequence, I always thought the model shots looked better than the CGI, at least between EP 1 & 2; Not so clean and animated. That, and that track has got to be one of the best out of all six soundtracks. I'd complain that the dialogue in that scene distracted from the music.

{<font color="black">[[[</font id="black">(((<font color="red">o</font id="red">))<font color="gold">EE</font id="gold">[/<font color="blue">==============</font id="blue">

dbraxton9
02-28-2006, 09:46 AM
What are you talking about? Solo never said anything to Obi about being poor, and Obi never spoke of money. It went more along the lines of "I've been from one side of the galaxy to the other, and I've never seen anything to make me believe that there is an all powerful force controlling everything. It's all a bunch of cheap tricks and luck" to which Obi replies "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." If anyone can find a line like the one mentioned, tell me, but I don't remember any such scene.

read the whole post dude! it's from the star wars RADIO PLAY on NPR, the best SW anything yet.

desertscorpion
02-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey dbrax, you almost convince me to get a copy of that radio play. Do you know where I could get it legally (....or illegally[}:)])?

dbraxton9
02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
ebay. and get it on cd as the cassette versions are cheap and flimsy and won't last.
also, it is not called A New Hope, this was long before empire came out.
be prepared to take a day off work, it's 6 1/2 hours long and you WON'T be able to turn it off.
it has the following cool stuff:
scenes on tatooine with biggs,luke and his friends (1/2 hour)
Leia and her family having diplomatic dinners with imperial officers on alderaan
han and jabba, much better than the redundant scene in the movie
Kenobi training luke on the falcon (1/2 hour)
vader torturing leia (1/2 hour)
vader and kenobi dueling (1/2 hour)
death star battle (1/2 hour)
LOTS and LOTS of Imperial intrigue with officers vying for political positions and plotting vader's demise! and a lot more...
It has Hamill and Daniels only from the movie, everybody else is a different actor, some arguably better than the movie actors. Perry King almost got the film part but harrison ford had already worked with lucas before so he got it. Solo is a much bigger ******* in the play, more selfish, rude and disrespectul, therefore his turnaround at the end is more meaningful. Vader is WAY meaner, angrier, and sounds more psychotic than James Earl Jones made him. obi wan (character, not the actor)is the biggest improvement to me, he is truly mystical and imparts genuine wisdom as contrasted with the half assed fortune cookie bull**** yoda says in the prequels. if you think you like star wars, beware!! the radio play is way better and totally smokes all subsequent sequels, prequels, and elaborations. YES IT IS AS GOOD AS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK movie. the OTHER sequel radio plays are much shorter and not as good (John Lithgow is one of my favorite actors but he SUCKS as yoda in the empire play), lacking the magnificent depth of the first one. they are longer and more elaborate than the films though and definitely worth listening to.
seriously dude, my love of star wars only began with the movie, THIS version is where I became a total Star Wars casualty. Wanna learn more about the force? want it to sound more transcendent and paradoxical and USEFUL,like it did in the beginning, instead of childishly simplistic moralizing and admonitions? want to FEEL it when Biggs gets waxed at the end? get the radio play on CD. you will not regret it.

dbraxton9
02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
oh yeah they made it into a paper back too, it's only like $5 on ebay wheras the cds are like $60

desertscorpion
02-28-2006, 01:21 PM
That sounds great, Dbrax. I'm on it!

Pirate King
02-28-2006, 03:18 PM
sorry about the confusion, I should have been paying more attention. I'll have to look into that.

{<font color="black">[[[</font id="black">(((<font color="red">o</font id="red">))<font color="gold">EE</font id="gold">[/<font color="blue">==============</font id="blue">

Mur-Pa DiLos
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
My favorite scenes are the battle between heroes: the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan and the last fight between Luke and Vader. Both were emotional and both really empasized the emotions of the two combatants. They were awesome.[:D]

supertrogdor
03-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Dbrax, i saw episodes 4 and 5, did you see 6 in paperback?

dbraxton9
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
no, actually i didn't know they had 5 in PB either.
thanks for letting me in on that.

naashar
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM

the duels between Yoda and Sidious and Vader/Skywalker ROTJ duels are close seconds. I mean come on...Yoda is the the freakin MAN lol

Yeah, it was pretty tight! [:D]

naashar
03-01-2006, 03:31 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

Dude, you are twisted! But, I do have to admit that one of my favorite parts is when Anakin goes to Mustafar and cleans house. Especially the line "Lord Sidious promised us peace!" Love it.

I know, right?! It was even forcasted to 'em: "My new apprentice, Lord Vader will take care of you.." Man, if they couldn't get "Chance of Pain with Heavy Screaming" outta that, they deserved every strike...

supertrogdor
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
the goons on mustafar deserved everything they got, i dont think anyone can deny that, they did order the sluaghter of oodles of people with thier battle droids, a little slashy slashy wooo woo was in their destiny

naashar
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by supertrogdor

slashy slashy wooo woo<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The sword of a warrior, the soul of a poet..I couldn't have said it any better! lol

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
blood, death, gore, and destruction, all major components for a kick #@* movie, he he

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Nynthu
03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
During the Empire Strikes Back, the moment Darth Vader tells Luke:

Vader - "Obi-One never told you what happened to yor father."
Luke - "He told me enough, he told me you killed him."
Vader - "No, I am your father."

It changed the entire dynamic of the series and was the greatest scene Lucus ever wrote.

dbraxton9
03-01-2006, 10:55 PM
lucas didn't write it.
lawrance kasdan and leigh brackett wrote the screenplay.
in the 5 page (mostly descriptions of the action scenes) story draft that he DID write, lucas wrote "vader reveals some secret about his father that luke cannot bear".
look on joblo.com and compare the 4th draft with the final draft, it says "insert B: dialogue added here" where THE lines go.
Mark hamill did the scene with "Obi wan killed your father" and in fact that was the "decoy" line in the script right up until a couple of weeks before release. he found out when the rest of us did.
only brackett, kasdan, james earl jones, ben burtt, gary kurtz and lucas knew that it was going to be "I am your father" until the premiere.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 02:32 AM
cool, leave to lucas to come up with a plan like that. ive seen other movies that were done the same way too. because of it bein a high anticipated release, they do that kinda thing to keep ya guessing.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

supertrogdor
03-02-2006, 11:47 AM
it was a rather climactic moment, you have a little slashy slashy woo woo, a little hand choppy choppy and then oh by the way son, come join me on the dark side because i am your father... how can you not enjoy that kind of story.

dbraxton9
03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
speaking of slashy slashy,
does anyone agree with me that the prequels should have had at least one empty handed fist fight? maybe with Windu? like, has anyone seen Batman Dead End?

desertscorpion
03-02-2006, 01:06 PM

does anyone agree with me that the prequels should have had at least one empty handed fist fight? maybe with Windu? like, has anyone seen Batman Dead End?

I agree. All of the jedi's I have imagined or written stories about are good at unarmed combat and it's not just a subnote but written into the plot. One of my favorite characters, which is actually where I get my handle "desert scorpion" is a jedi who uses almost all hand to hand and uses his lightsaber only when necessary. He usually uses it either to defend from another saber or as a finishing move. He's still superb at saber battling, he just likes to hear bones crunch under his fists. To me he's kind of what I would imagine Maul as if he was a good guy. Maybe enjoying causing pain a little too much.

naashar
03-02-2006, 01:19 PM

it was a rather climactic moment, you have a little slashy slashy woo woo, a little hand choppy choppy and then oh by the way son, come join me on the dark side because i am your father... how can you not enjoy that kind of story.

I know, right?? On some ol' "This style of cheating has been passed down the Skywalker Line for generations!!" [:D]

Who gets the Full Metal Alchemist Reference, hmm??

naashar
03-02-2006, 01:32 PM

Check out The Clone Wars, Vol I. That gives you a great example of a Jedi's hand-to-hand capabilities, namely Mace's. Too crucial!

I like the fact, though, that the Jedi use their sabers for psyche warfare as well. At the point of Ep. I-III, they were the only game in town, so e'ryone knew what time it was when someone pulled one.

supertrogdor
03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
well spoken naashar, mace was pretty dang awesome in that clone wars clip, grand use of hand to hand combat, the force and such, i am a big fan of his disassembly of the battle droid then shooting its parts at a bunch more to take them out, that was quite excellent

dbraxton9
03-02-2006, 04:41 PM
since i am also a classic star trek fan, i kinda wanted to see a fight like the one at the end of Star Trek III where Kirk is kicking the klingon in the head saying "I'm getting sick [kick] of [kick] YOU! [kicks him into the erupting lava below]. I always pictured MacGregor saying this to Hayden as he kicked him into the lava to become vader ever since 2002.

dbraxton9
03-02-2006, 05:14 PM
oh yeah, you mentioned Clone Wars. I forgot which episode it was, but I LOVED the scene where yoda is trying to convince the queen to do something and he uses his jedi mind control to make her guard tell her, and he is still using yoda's goofy grammar. THAT was good writing! it shoulda been in one of the movies.

naashar
03-02-2006, 05:22 PM

since i am also a classic star trek fan, i kinda wanted to see a fight like the one at the end of Star Trek III where Kirk is kicking the klingon in the head saying "I'm getting sick [kick] of [kick] YOU! [kicks him into the erupting lava below]. I always pictured MacGregor saying this to Hayden as he kicked him into the lava to become vader ever since 2002.

Now, you gotta admit, ewan was looking rather pained as he exclaimed "You were the Chosen One!" He was uuupppseett...

Even his tone when he was advising ani ("Don't do it, Anakin; I have the high ground.") It was if he was saying "I've been just letting you vent until this point. If you wanna go ahead and jump, li'l froggie, you'll be sooooorrrryyyyy." Teasing him, even.

naashar
03-02-2006, 05:47 PM

well spoken naashar, mace was pretty dang awesome in that clone wars clip, grand use of hand to hand combat, the force and such, i am a big fan of his disassembly of the battle droid then shooting its parts at a bunch more to take them out, that was quite excellent

It was like every move compounded the how versatile one could be when nearly infinitely-abled and singly-minded.

How about when he's running at full-Force speed, does the dodeca-gainer, and clears the area for his landing?

naashar
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM

oh yeah, you mentioned Clone Wars. I forgot which episode it was, but I LOVED the scene where yoda is trying to convince the queen to do something and he uses his jedi mind control to make her guard tell her, and he is still using yoda's goofy grammar. THAT was good writing! it shoulda been in one of the movies.

Right!!! Pounded his fist, and everything!! lol

Pirate King
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM

I dunno, Clone Wars was pretty awesome, but Mace bordered on silly when he started punching droids. There's a fine line between kick-ass and ridiculous.

Tiberius172
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Best scene in my opinion is the final saber battle between Obi-wan & Anakin. Fantastic!!!

Tiberius

thestr8metaledge
03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I dunno I kinda liked Mace punching the droids. it was a bit silly, but Windu is Sam L. Jackson's character, and SLJ seems to be one of the great "open up a can of whomp ass" actors. I think that thought may have been crossing the minds of the animators:

"what would a true Sam L. Jackson character do?"
"why, open up a can of whomp ass, of course!"
"yes, quite right, quite right."

ok maybe not exactly like that but the basic idea lol.

btw, if the same post appears above this one, sorry...I had to send it about 5 times before it went through. my internet connection sucks like an airplane toilet.

987654321a
03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
i love the duel between obi wan and darth maul on tattooine or some other deserty planet

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

The Plague
03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
987654321a, Do you mean Qui-Gon and darth maul, I don't remember obi fighting maul on a dessert planet.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

naashar
03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by The Plague

987654321a, Do you mean Qui-Gon and darth maul, I don't remember obi fighting maul on a dessert planet.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

I believe he does..unless he's talking about the heretofore unreleased bootleg of "Star Wars Ep. 1.3: The Stench of the Saarlac".

It smells like fish, if you must know.

supertrogdor
03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
anyone know where to get a prerelease copy, i picked up harry potter today (free tshirt with purchase and 2 free rentals at hastings) and i do have a few dollars left in checking... My wife does understand about buying movies more than saber making paraphanalia... such is life