PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here not excited?

psab keel
05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
This is just short rant, but I just watched the trailer for The CLone Wars coming out this summer. While the animation is very impressive, for some reason I'm not excited to see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to see it in the theater, but I'm more excited for Indiana Jones, and The Dark Knight than I am for Star Wars.

Am I alone?

Dark Helmet
05-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I feel the same way, I was wondering if it was just me...

xl97
05-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Im NOT 'anything' for Indiana Jones.. I think the lull/wait has thrown me over the years.. classic? of course.. just not feeling it..

Batman.. of course. ;)

I havent seen Iron Man yet either..but I plan on it. (even though Downey Jr. is in it) :)

Dark Helmet
05-09-2008, 11:07 PM
HEY, but what if it was Morton Downey Jr. , Iron man would be throwing chairs at his foes!
EDIT: god I feel old for knowing that, and if you got the joke YOU should feel old too! imagine, Iron man flying around with a cigarette hanging from his mouth, yelling at people, coughing in there faces....ARRRRHHHGGG!!!!! pure awesome.....then Roddy Piper would show up....

DARTH KALEL
05-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Ironman was great I thought downey was the best candidate for the role. I can't wait to see the Dark Knight. We have already seen the clone wars and I don't expect to see anything really new, animation looks great though. I feel the same for indiana, it's been so long and it's not like we are going to see anymore afterward. Ford looked clumsy in last crusade I wonder if it's going to be worse in this one. I also can't wait to see the HULK everything looks great so far.

strengthofrage
05-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Iron Man was great, they were spot on with the tech for his suit. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect for the role... Tony Stark - Drunken Industrialist, Robert Downey Jr. - ...well, we all remember lol :)

Hasid Lafre
05-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Iam excited, more so than for indy or anything else IMO.

Jedi554
05-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Yeah I kinda feel the same way. I WILL watch it, though. I AM excited to see it, but it's just that I'm more excited to watch Indy IV.

Darth Lars
05-10-2008, 09:12 AM
I will probably see it on Youtube when someone uploads it there. Then I will be able to skip the inevitable cringeworthy scenes, bad CGI and I don't have to bother with the plot points that don't make any sense or fit with the rest of the saga. (actually, I mean "most of", as in - the parts that don't contradict what we see in the OT)

I will see it mostly so that I will be able to participate in discussions about it with other fans. I do not look forward to anything about the show, like I did before Ep1, Ep2, drawn Clone Wars and Ep3 or any of the books.
I anticipate that this will be the lowest point of Star Wars history, ever. I expect that it could very well be the thing that makes the franchise "jumps the shark".

xl97
05-10-2008, 09:13 AM
LOL.. "I" remeber/know Morton Downey Jr. show..LOL

Iron Man was great, they were spot on with the tech for his suit. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect for the role... Tony Stark - Drunken Industrialist, Robert Downey Jr. - ...well, we all remember lol :)

SoF-

I hope hes good (really).. Im not totally turned off by him..I just thouht it would be a little taller/thinner Stark..

Im alittle fan boy as I like things to follow the comic book story lines (as best they can), since that is what made the story/topic/movie famous to begin with..

I hope its as true as it can be.. :)

Hasid Lafre
05-10-2008, 09:35 AM
how do you think this will be the lowest point in SW history? you do know that if its on film its from GL head and that its not gonna mess with the continum.

From the sound of your post and how iam reading it are you saying that other sources outside of on screen SW is contradicting some other sources?

I will probably see it on Youtube when someone uploads it there. Then I will be able to skip the inevitable cringeworthy scenes, bad CGI and I don't have to bother with the plot points that don't make any sense or fit with the rest of the saga. (actually, I mean "most of", as in - the parts that don't contradict what we see in the OT)

I will see it mostly so that I will be able to participate in discussions about it with other fans. I do not look forward to anything about the show, like I did before Ep1, Ep2, drawn Clone Wars and Ep3 or any of the books.
I anticipate that this will be the lowest point of Star Wars history, ever. I expect that it could very well be the thing that makes the franchise "jumps the shark".

Darth Lars
05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
you do know that if its on film its from GL head and that its not gonna mess with the continum.
ROTS and the OT were both written by GL and there are still minor contradictions between them.
Just the existence of Anakin's padawan (whose name means "Oh, Really!?" in Japanese) is a contradiction in that she is nonexistent in any movie or previous incarnation of the Clone Wars - of which there are droves of novels, comic books and even a previous animated series.

DARTH KALEL
05-10-2008, 01:07 PM
yeah I think it's kinda funny about the apprentice as well, i've seen like three different apps for vader and none of them are relative to the OT, am I upset, hell no!! I love the fact that Lucas is adding more, And it's great that our childeren get to see something great in the same saga that we grew up watching, even if it doesn't line up, remember, SPOILERS AHEAD, the latest book involves Jacen finding some sith artifacts and alchemy that vader had hidden, along with a ton of force powers vader uncovered but due to lack of flesh was never able to fully master and use. The draft tales of vader learning how to cheat death, and tells about the alchemy and power the emperor held over vader. I have a buddy who works for a publishing company, this book will be out in october. It also tales about vader finding Revans secret hideout beyond the outter rim, as well as his sith holocrons and teachings from BANE. This book has already been approved from GL so it shows there are so much to tale about. there is such a huge gap in the history mainly involving vader. As soon as I get my advanced copy I will post the torrent for everybody, probably be late july when I get it. I've actually read the rough draft and it was amazing. I won't say anymore, but it's said that there will be a part in the new clone wars that leads to some of the things in the book. Has anybody else heard the rumor of vaders glove having exar kuns medallion built into it. I knew he discovered many medallions and force objects but has anybody else heard this?

Hasid Lafre
05-10-2008, 02:10 PM
And what translation you using cause

"Ah so-ka" in Japanese means, "Oh, I see that it is so".

The way I see it people arnt true fans anymore and only expect something of say a EU quality.

Iam sorry but thats called closed minded.

Pullo
05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I do look forward to the Clone wars series but I do worry about how it will tie in to the series. Some things don't match between ROTS & ANH but we accept them. For instance in none of the movies, prequel or otherwise do we see an Amber lightsaber blade, but we love to build them. Now before you all start shouting at your monitor my point is, whan the first amber blade appeared in the expanded universe, ( i don't know where it was) some fans would have thought, "Well thats not right it should be either blue or green" However thanks to the EU we know different and embrace the subtle changes to our constantly expanding star wars universe.

LeMoel
05-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Im sooo excited and If you are a true Star wars fan then you should be excited too

im really excited for the Dooku vs Skywalker match to see how anakin faired against him before episode 3

and of course Ventress will be really interesting to see how powerful she is and her style of fighting

gonna be great!:D

DARTH KALEL
05-10-2008, 03:44 PM
that's what's got me excited I want to see all the things fold out instead of just reading about them. GL has approved them so it's going to try to piece together all the movies and EU for that timeline. Lucas will be giving an interview and brief explanation of why and tie in the old republic and NJO. It will be right before the movie and it's said that Lucas is going to also include some info about the EU KOTOR animated series slated for 2010. It's said it will be a 6 part mini sieries all 2 hours long. From Ajunta Paul to almost BANE, that's really exciting.

DarthFender
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I wanna see it, but I do think it will have the potential to suck. Anyway it will never be worse than the '78 Holiday Special, if you were unfortunate enough to see that one. [pukes]. But you really can't say that you are a Star Wars nerd unless you've seen it.

Hasid Lafre
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Ive seen it and quite frankly I dont care if it sucked or not, will you say the same thing about the muppets star wars? Iam pritty sure you would.

Its part of starwars history and it is what it is. could you of done better back then?

xl97
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
does having the ability to produce the same thing or better quality the only way you are allowed an opinion on it?

I dont know the first thing about producing a movie (and of any type really).. does that mean I dont have the right to judge/analyize how I felt about it?

or because I dont know how to build a car.. I cant give feedback about how it drove for me?

Im curious.. you may think that way.. and I think partially you may be validated if you do.. I can see/accept the side (point) of, if you DO/DID know how to do thiese 'things' your opinion might hold more weight or come with a certain tone of reason or experience.. but I still dont think it should count the 'others' out..

curoious.. is that how you feel? and why you made that last comment?

'could you of done better back then?'

TimeRender
05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Personally I couldn't care less about Clone Wars, and although I am excited about Indy I am also worried that it will be nearly as big a let down as Episodes 1 2 and 3 were. I'd rather see the series end than see it embarrass itself like that. Iron Man and TDK, on the other hand, look amazing. I can't wait to get a night off when I can go see either of them.

Edit: OH! And kudos to you Fender for mentioning the Holiday Special! As laughably terrible as it was to see a stoned Carrie Fisher and that strangely... ehem... adult simulator that Itchy seemed to enjoy, I STILL thought it was better than Episode 1!

SpectreT65
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Being a true fan means being able to call something out on the carpet if it contradicts other material.

Being a true fan means recognizing quality of material brought before you.

Being a true fan means loving what's good, but being aware enough to see something's faults.

Being a true fan does not mean blind acceptance of anyone's work on a project - not even the originator.

Being a true fan does not mean disengaging one's critical faculties and obsequiously accepting any drivel set before you.

And, IMO, the movie franchise "jumped the shark" shortly after TPM's opening crawl faded out. :D

TimeRender
05-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Well spoke!

xl97
05-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Im curious as to how you can NOT have blind acceptance of the originators work?

That person would be the originator..andhence 'makes the rules'.... no?

(unless of course the originator is saying one thing on Monday then totallay opposite or contradicting on Thursday) :)

but outside of that.. 'he who has the plan/idea makes the rules'.. isnt that how it goes?

Im curious to hear why you would 'doubt' or argue against any originator of a an idea/project/plot..??

This isnt trying to be rude.. I honestly would like to hear why you have that stance is all..

I mean being a 'true fan' of something someone else created.. how can you 'argue it'? If it wasnt for someone elses plot/idea/project.. you would have anything to be a true fan of...right?

:)

thanks

SpectreT65
05-10-2008, 08:40 PM
"(unless of course the originator is saying one thing on Monday then totallay opposite or contradicting on Thursday) "

Answered your own question. GL changes his story about as often as most people change their underwear. :D

xl97
05-10-2008, 08:57 PM
oh..ok.. well ther ya have it..

"I" had no clue he has or does do this..

if thats the case... then I guess you'd have to kinda call BS..eh? Or make him commit one way or the other??

hmm kinda mis-leading.. and almost like 'whatever makes it sell'? Is that how it was or comes off as? (as I have no specific situation in mind or anything)

Er Dan Gill
05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately, it's topics like this that burnt me out on Star Trek. Everyone is so concerned with accuracy and continuity, that they forget the main reasoning behind something like this, entertainment. Stop nitpicking something to death and it can still be enjoyable.

Edit:
I forgot too add that I'm gonna take my son to go see it along with the rest of the summer blockbusters:)

SpectreT65
05-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Star Trek fans have a built-in excuse. The entertainment is packaged a little more... cerebrally... than a 1970's popcorn film that became a cult classic not quite overnight, but a lot quicker than any other films to earn that distinction.

Trek tries to create this universe where everything is neat, tidy order, so the fans do likewise.

Star Wars, OTOH, was not intended to change the world, or even originally intended to sell a ton of Kenner toys. It was supposed to be a fun movie; the core theme of people wanting to be free just tapped into something that was badly needed by the public.

I can't speak for everyone who's been along for the ride for thirty-some years, but the prequel trilogy left a bad taste in the mouth, so to speak.

XL, check out the thread about who is the chosen one, and the wikia link, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. My impression is GL had a broad outline all along, and he's been winging it within that broad outline, and nevermind the details. Feels more like haphazard than whimsy or malice, but it drives some folks nuts. Me, I try to love it, warts and all. My original point was, I shouldn't have to pretend the warts don't exist.

LeMoel
05-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Hmmm i just think everyone should be excited on this forum, cuz its star wars period and its new

Er Dan Gill
05-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Star Trek fans have a built-in excuse. The entertainment is packaged a little more... cerebrally... than a 1970's popcorn film that became a cult classic not quite overnight, but a lot quicker than any other films to earn that distinction.

Trek tries to create this universe where everything is neat, tidy order, so the fans do likewise.

Star Wars, OTOH, was not intended to change the world, or even originally intended to sell a ton of Kenner toys. It was supposed to be a fun movie; the core theme of people wanting to be free just tapped into something that was badly needed by the public.

I can't speak for everyone who's been along for the ride for thirty-some years, but the prequel trilogy left a bad taste in the mouth, so to speak.

XL, check out the thread about who is the chosen one, and the wikia link, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. My impression is GL had a broad outline all along, and he's been winging it within that broad outline, and nevermind the details. Feels more like haphazard than whimsy or malice, but it drives some folks nuts. Me, I try to love it, warts and all. My original point was, I shouldn't have to pretend the warts don't exist.

My point is that these are both sci-fi worlds that are constantly changing, it's not like picking up a history book and reading about the ancient greeks. Which even with something like that is constantly changing with new discoveries.Case in point, my "new" Star Wars Chronology says right on the cover, now updated for AOTC and ROTS.

I for one am happy for this set of 1970's popcorn films, because if it hadn't started somewhere we wouldn't be here having this discussion. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I've just never understood why people get upset over whether something is, or is not canon, or should, or should not be canon. Instead of just enjoying what is put out for what it is.

TimeRender
05-11-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm not concerned with whether or not the new trilogy or the clone wars are consistent with the original trilogy, just with whether or not the films are enjoyable. That said, I simply don't think they are.

Er Dan Gill
05-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm not concerned with whether or not the new trilogy or the clone wars are consistent with the original trilogy, just with whether or not the films are enjoyable. That said, I simply don't think they are.

I hear that alot and I don't understand why. I enjoyed the new trilogy, why is it so many people dislike the new trilogy?

Hasid Lafre
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
cause it isent anything like the ot, there are people that have an utter distaste for the new trilogy and if it isent Ot they dont give a hoot. talk about being a true fan.

TimeRender
05-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Speak for yourself Hasid, but don't put words into MY mouth. I don't dislike the new movies because they weren't enough like the OT, I dislike them because there was too much emphasis placed on flashy special effects and ridiculous fight scenes while apparently there was no effort made to write a decent story, to direct the film, or to cast decent actors (Neeson, McGregor, McDiarmid and Oz excepting). The films also suffered terribly for the lack of McQuarrie's artwork, although that might fall into the category of complaints that 1 2 and 3 were not enough like the OT. It seemed too much that the prequels were aimed at entertaining preteen boys and not at satisfying a general audience or, and this was especially painful, satisfying the loyal fans of the OT who kept the franchise alive for 20 years while GL got fat and rich.
As for The Clone Wars, which is what this topic is really about anyway, I feel that the story and characters are so far removed from everything that I love and cherish about star wars that they are no longer, in my mind, part of the same story at all. That's why I don't really care one bit about it.

Er Dan Gill
05-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Speak for yourself Hasid, but don't put words into MY mouth. I don't dislike the new movies because they weren't enough like the OT, I dislike them because there was too much emphasis placed on flashy special effects and ridiculous fight scenes while apparently there was no effort made to write a decent story, to direct the film, or to cast decent actors (Neeson, McGregor, McDiarmid and Oz excepting). The films also suffered terribly for the lack of McQuarrie's artwork, although that might fall into the category of complaints that 1 2 and 3 were not enough like the OT. It seemed too much that the prequels were aimed at entertaining preteen boys and not at satisfying a general audience or, and this was especially painful, satisfying the loyal fans of the OT who kept the franchise alive for 20 years while GL got fat and rich.
As for The Clone Wars, which is what this topic is really about anyway, I feel that the story and characters are so far removed from everything that I love and cherish about star wars that they are no longer, in my mind, part of the same story at all. That's why I don't really care one bit about it.

Why does it have to be exactly like the OT to be acceptable? The prequels were a different time frame in the galaxie, and wasn't the OT using "flashy special effects" and "ridiculous fight scenes" for the technology that was used during thier production?

George Lucas brought new technology to the sreen then, and correct me if I'm wrong, his push is what gave us modern day home theater. If you have never seen TPM, AOTC, or ROTS in full 7.1 digital surround sound and high def, then you really are missing out on the "flashy special effects" and "ridiculous fight scenes".

Personally my ONLY complaints with the films are Mcdairmid, and Christensens over acting in ROTS. I keep hearing whats wrong with the story lines over and over, what makes them so bad that people won't enjoy these films?

DARTH KALEL
05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
To be honest I don't think either films ever impressed me with the use of the force. ROTS was pretty close with the battle between Yoda and Sidious. But not until force unleashed are we really going to see what true Jedi did. I liked both trilogies but I love the EU much more. I think maybe Revans tale is far greater than anakins. Besides what happens when jolly old GL becomes one with the force are we going to be stuck with nothing with 25000 years of history our great grandchilderen could still be watching new material. Plus I can barely get the little one to watch the old ones except the battle with luke and vader in ROTJ but she loves the new ones and isn't that what it's really about, your first experience with star wars to make you a fan for life. I'm just glad my kids will be able to experience something new from the saga.

TimeRender
05-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Er Dan, go back and re-read my post, I didn't say it had to be exactly like the original. In fact, I said the opposite. As for the special effects, I'm not suggesting that they should be removed, nor am I belittling the contributions that Star Wars has made to technology and the film industry. What I am saying is that the prequel trilogy seemed to focus on effects and fight scenes to the exclusion of more important elements like casting, writing and directing. Special effects should serve the story, rather than the story existing simply to set up the effects.

xl97
05-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Self-admittedly.. Im NOT as hard core a fan/knledgable as half of you members here..

and to me.. the 1st movie of the NEW trilogy released seemed to be aimed towards kids/merchandising as well.. (IMHO).. Jar-Jar was overplayed..and every toy had something to do with it.. I believe the story/movies got alittle better as they went on targetting a bigger (more adult) fan base

Pullo
05-12-2008, 01:53 AM
I think the storyline in ROTS is as up to the job as any of the original trilogy.
As for TPM & ATOC well they are a bit more glitz than substance but they arn't bad. They were just a differant Star Wars than we were used too. More to the point the Original trilogy isn't perfect. (Stop Hitting me!!!!) I love it I really do but come on people, the best stormtrooper garrison in the universe, armed to the hilt , taken out by teddy bears. That is poor!!!!!!! I will never be convinced, no matter what it's symbology, it sucks. If it's true that originally Lucas wanted to set it on the wookie homeworld, that would have been far more beliveable, I just think The Ewoks to me are far more annoying than even the gunguns, Jar jar excepted of course.

SpectreT65
05-15-2008, 04:28 AM
Alright, here's my ranking of the Star Wars films, from most enjoyable to least enjoyable. Maybe you'll see a pattern there in terms of storytelling, acting, dialogue, and direction. I know I do

1) A New Hope - nostalgia gives it the points it otherwise lacks, the top two would be reversed without that warm fuzzy I get from going back to this one.

2) Empire Strikes Back - need I say more?

3) Revenge of the Sith - despite Anakin's fall feeling forced and sudden (sure there were hints, but they were like hiccups or blips, not clear signs of an underlying personality flaw), this one did an overall decent job of knitting the two otherwise unrelated film series into a larger narrative. In other words,it did its job. Fast and ugly, but it did its job.

4) Attack of the Clones - had its moments, but it just didn't feel like history flowing to where it needed to go to complete the circle. The story was still rambling, like GL still had no idea how he was goint to get back to ANH.

5) Return of the Jedi - the weaksauce of the OT, it suffered from the same thing Revenge of the Sith did... Too much material crammed into not enough film - too rushed for good characer development, it just felt like GL was saying "Crap! gotta wrap all this up!" (I don't think it's a coincidence GL originally wanted to call this one Revenge of the Jedi - he eventually got to have his Revenge, though. :D ) The other problem hampering this movie is that it's aimed at kids, in a patronizing and insulting way that would definitely have offended me had I been an eight-year-old for this one like I was when I first saw the original.

6) The Phantom Menace - despite Liam Neeson and Ewan MacGregor's presence, the film suffered horribly from the worst plot of all the movies in the series. Let me get this straight: Sidious, the future emperor, basically arranges for some financiers to foreclose the mortgage on the world he represents to the Senate, in order to get himself elected Chancellor? To call this asinine would be an insult to all other things asinine. And like its predecessor, this one suffered for being patronizingly and insultingly aimed at kids, with comic relief that was actually worse than the Ewoks. (Yes, I'm talking about Jar-Jar)

Pullo
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Spectre my list is almost the same as yours, but I have to say I would put Phantom menace higher than Return Of The Jedi. I just can't get past the ewok thing. Trite and shallow as TPM is, I think that it does show us what the jedi were like and what they cold do. Don't get me wrong Jar Jar is the single most annoying character in the star wars universe but I think ROTJ suffered,as you say, from being far too childish. Considering that it followed the darker tone set by The Empire Strikes back, where our heros firmly get their arses kicked, it would have been good if that darker feel could have been continued.

psab keel
07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
You know it's so funny that I started this thread because I completely forgot I did. I just read through it and I'm surprised that it started a flurry of discussion.

To me it really boils down to a few simple points:

1. George Lucas is one of my creative heroes- and despite the fact that I differ greatly with him on many creative points- he did create one of the best mythologies ever written.

2. I love Star Wars, plain and simple. As my friend wisely said. Star Wars is like Pizza. Some is great and some is bad, but in the end it's still Star Wars!

3. I think that I have taken all I can from the Saga, because with all 6 episodes complete -it's over. But what I think the best thing to do now as a fan, is to go forward with my own mythology that I have been creating for the past few years (my books) and go beyond what my hero has done before me.

They say that the best thing that a teacher can do is to have their students take what they've learned and push it further than their teacher could. Perhaps as fans that is the next step.

I'm just afraid that George Lucas will never get back to making those artsy experimental movies that he's been saying that he is going to make ever since Ep. III was finished. I want George Lucas to let Star Wars go, because it's time to. It's taken on it's own life. Let it be some one else's now. Give us the raw genius that THX. THAT is a filmmaker who I admire. THAT is someone I can root for! I still believe that he has it in him. Somewhere I still believe that he has that spark that gave us some of the best thrills of our lives.

I still believe. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do.

Darth_DevilGuy
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
did you just preform a thread necro on yourself?

Braxus
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
You know it's so funny that I started this thread because I completely forgot I did. I just read through it and I'm surprised that it started a flurry of discussion.

To me it really boils down to a few simple points:

1. George Lucas is one of my creative heroes- and despite the fact that I differ greatly with him on many creative points- he did create one of the best mythologies ever written.

2. I love Star Wars, plain and simple. As my friend wisely said. Star Wars is like Pizza. Some is great and some is bad, but in the end it's still Star Wars!

3. I think that I have taken all I can from the Saga, because with all 6 episodes complete -it's over. But what I think the best thing to do now as a fan, is to go forward with my own mythology that I have been creating for the past few years (my books) and go beyond what my hero has done before me.

They say that the best thing that a teacher can do is to have their students take what they've learned and push it further than their teacher could. Perhaps as fans that is the next step.

I'm just afraid that George Lucas will never get back to making those artsy experimental movies that he's been saying that he is going to make ever since Ep. III was finished. I want George Lucas to let Star Wars go, because it's time to. It's taken on it's own life. Let it be some one else's now. Give us the raw genius that THX. THAT is a filmmaker who I admire. THAT is someone I can root for! I still believe that he has it in him. Somewhere I still believe that he has that spark that gave us some of the best thrills of our lives.

I still believe. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do.

here here

i like how for years Lucas has signed off on ideas and story points for the expanded universe books and then all of a sudden in the prequels all that is thrown out the door. Example i like.... before the prequels, the clonewars were started by a huge army of insane clones fighting againt the armies of the republic. Gone insane because in the cloning process the force affected them ( Like Joruus C'baoth ). Now here comes the prequels. the clones fight FOR the republic against an army of droids. I think it would of been better to call it the Separatist War. writers and fans have had to come up with all kinds of crazy ideas and plots to explain the older expanded universe books facts. Take the birth of the republic... in episode 2 the guy says "there hasnt been a full scale war since the formation of the republic." now all those old stories with the Republic being at least 25,000 years old and the stories about the Great Hyperspace War, the wars started by Freedon Nadd, Exar Kun, and Darth Revan can not have happened. So they came up with a story that the the Republic WAS 25,000 years old but 1,000 years ago the Republic went through a reform and was reborn after the War with Lord Kaan and his Brotherhood of Darkness.

Awesome Book and one of the best SW Books ever writen. but i hate that Star Wars history has had to be rewriten to suit Lucas's whims to further movie story plots. and dont get me started on the creation of the stupid midi-chlorians just so there is a way to measure Anakin's force potential....

felix142
07-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry. George Lucas will not let Star Wars go because he's TERRIFIED to do anything else anymore.

Think about it: in the mid 70's culminating in 1977, he created something that is still so relevant that we're posting debates about it on a website dedicated to a relatively minor aspect of it in 2008. He's been spending his time since 1993 largely laying waste to that legacy - yet we all spend our sacagaweas to watch it and not only watch it, but to actually care about it. The new movie doesn't interest me at all. Still, that being said, I have little doubt that it will someday soon have carved out a place on my dvd shelf alongside my many copies of the original trilogy - in the many forms that have been released on dvd - as well as episodes 1-3, Gungans be damned.

We'll be lucky to see a man like George Lucas again. I look upon him as a cautionary tale. He created something great and then got drunk on the power that it bestowed upon him. Bill Watterson could have become the next Lucas. Unfortunately a little thing called integrity got in the way. Bill Watterson preferred to see his creation (Calvin & Hobbes) die rather than see it exploited. Lucas actively took part in the exploitation (see: ewoks, gungans, plush Yoda dolls) and yet we don't care. We're kind of fine with it. Myself included. To use his own vernacular, Lucas fell to the dark side long ago and we have all become part of his new empire.

I apologize for the heavy-handedness of all this. I hope I haven't dragged down things too much.

psab keel
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I suppose this is something that has been on my mind for some time, but I never really had an opportunity, or the right words for that matter, to voice my ideas.

I've had similar discussions with one of my best friend's about it.

I think it would be hard to let something so successful go. I don't think Lucas is all about money, like many jaded fans believe. I honestly think he loves his creation, and just can't see it go on its own.

It's hard to watch your heroes become too complacent. I would love to see what he could create if someone within his circle had the balls to stand up and tell him that even if one of his ideas was genius, that the way it was approached was not very good at all.

While its great that he has complete creative control, perhaps it is it's own evil. No one can say no to him, and that's not always a good thing. Constructive criticism is what makes better writers and artists.

I hope as an artist I never get to the point where I think that no one can tell me I can do better.

psab keel
07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
No I didn't reply to my own thread to necro it. I was just surprised that the topic really took off the way it did.

DDanDevious
07-21-2008, 08:26 AM
wow I just read this whole thread and I gotta say, for dudes that play with lightsabers some of yall are pretty high strung hahahaha.

oh and a recap

Indiana Jones and the KOTCS- meh. I liked Shia LeBouf, Indys looking a bit tired but held up pretty well througout. Coulda used more in the plot section.

Dark Knight- not bad, kinda long, Heath Ledger was amazing. Too bad hes gone now. I dont like when Christian Bale speaks as batman... sounds like a pro wrestler, or Nathan Explosion or something. Kinda corny.

Clone Wars- excited. Im always excited about new SW stuff canon, EU whatever. I will be there opening night.

oh and saw a trailer for "The Watchmen" HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS AWESOME.

DDD